Manuel Locatelli (50 Viewers)

Juve FC

Jul 11, 2016
yeah I don't get the Italian coach obsession with regista. Most top clubs play with pure DM at center of midfield, and their job just to break up the play.
But here they have to defend, link up play, creating chances, etc.

It requires a complete midfielder to perfectly play this role. Marchisio was the only one who did all those tasks without needing protection from other midfielders.
Pirlo was great but he would struggle without protection from Marchisio and Vidal. Pjanic also kind of wasted playing there.

With DM they can be technically limited but as long as they are physically imposing they will do the job just fine.
That is a very good observation. I remember watching Pjanic play at Roma and he was a dynamic player who would dribble around pressure and was not afraid to attack. I hope we don't see the same fate with Locatelli. I loved his play at the Euros and even against Roma when Landucci introduced Arthur in the 64th minute and moved Locatelli to more of an attacking role. It was 3-1 when Landucci made that change. Rest is history.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
That is a very good observation. I remember watching Pjanic play at Roma and he was a dynamic player who would dribble around pressure and was not afraid to attack. I hope we don't see the same fate with Locatelli. I loved his play at the Euros and even against Roma when Landucci introduced Arthur in the 64th minute and moved Locatelli to more of an attacking role. It was 3-1 when Landucci made that change. Rest is history.
The problem with Pjanic was he didn't really have quick feet to get away from his marker. Playing in deeper role means losing the ball will create dangerous situation in defense. Playing higher up will less likely to create the same situation.
That's why he became less dynamic as regista and most of the time Pjanic chose safest option by doing backpass or sideways

Just watch this video of Marchisio. We need someone like this to properly play this role

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
The problem with Pjanic was he didn't really have quick feet to get away from his marker. Playing in deeper role means losing the ball will create dangerous situation in defense. Playing higher up will less likely to create the same situation.
That's why he became less dynamic as regista and most of the time Pjanic chose safest option by doing backpass or sideways

Just watch this video of Marchisio. We need someone like this to properly play this role
Lovely video. Pure class

Van Helsing

Oct 2, 2007
I'd prefer him there too, but wouldn't trust Arthur as long-term starter there. He is too limited imo. Next season I'd like to have a regista or someone like Kante in the DM position (who can cover more area and break down more counters) and move up Loca to the "LCM" role. Depending on which direction we take I'd put Zakaria if we have a Veratti or Pirlo-type or someone like Isco if we go for a destroyer. Not that I want Isco, but since media always thinks we want him...
I really like Loca's late runs into the box and he has decent passes to lock up defenses in the final third. Also, I don't want him in sitting position of 4231, I always wanted Dybala in a Messi-role so when we finally do it I hope we stick with it.
:PP:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
yeah I don't get the Italian coach obsession with regista. Most top clubs play with pure DM at center of midfield, and their job just to break up the play.
But here they have to defend, link up play, creating chances, etc.

It requires a complete midfielder to perfectly play this role. Marchisio was the only one who did all those tasks without needing protection from other midfielders.
Pirlo was great but he would struggle without protection from Marchisio and Vidal. Pjanic also kind of wasted playing there.

With DM they can be technically limited but as long as they are physically imposing they will do the job just fine.
Yeah, Pirlo has fucked with their heads, now everyone is looking for the new Pirlo.

Orphée

Jun 19, 2010
He covered more than 13 kilometers against Atalanta! ; that's ~2.5 kilometers more than any other Juventus player and still 300m more than any of Atalanta's... :touched:

Screenshot 2022-02-16 0752501.jpg

Last edited:

ilmetronome

Sep 16, 2020
CMIIW Allegri once said Zakaria can play in front of defense as he is good in passing too. Hopefully Allegri play him there and locatelli as b2b. With top midfielder summer signing and rovella back i think it's good enough for UCL contender

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
can we admit this guy isn't all that after all. he has no commanding presence and no real stand out qualities in midfield.

@Cronios was right
I agree with you. He's the best of a bad bunch. He's nothing special nor world class but he can elevate his game to another level if he played alongside WC CM's. A great complimentary player so to speak.
Atm he's like an inferior version of Marchisio. Let's hope he gets better with age like Marchisio did and most importantly, let's pair him alongside some real midfielders.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
He was great in euro, like all the rest of our team. Problem is in the club and it starts with A.
he was playing further up under Mancini. He’s stuck having to play more of a holding role here because we literally don’t have anyone better to handle regista duties.

one day you will all see the light, and by you all I’m mainly talking about management.

631E0478-82F3-4DDC-A389-73A6AC2F8D7E.jpeg

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
can we admit this guy isn't all that after all. he has no commanding presence and no real stand out qualities in midfield.

@Cronios was right
No. He's an excellent player but as was said many times before he came, he alone will not solve our problems. Especially when he has to spend the entire match playing next to Rabiot who provides nothing because, as someone once said around here...

ALLEGRI

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
The difference is the national team actually tried to outplay their opponents whereas we line our midfield up 24 yards from our own goal against any club and hoof it to no man's land like we're Stoke.

I don't think Xavi in his prime would do anything next to Raboit and playing hoof ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 45)