Makelele set to quit (4 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Makelele set to quit
by Patrick Haond - Last Updated 9 Sep 2004

France midfielder Claude Makelele is expected to retire from international football.

The Chelsea star wanted to quit Les Bleus following their exit from Euro 2004 in order to concentrate on club matters.

The move would have seen Makelele join the likes of Lilian Thuram and Zinedine Zidane in quitting the national team.

However, new coach Raymond Domenech asked the 31-year-old to fill in for Patrick Vieira as the Arsenal captain was doubtful with the thigh injury that has been troubling him.

Although Makelele faced Israel, he was left out of the Faroe Islands encounter as Vieira skippered the side, and was sent off in the 2-0 win.

Apparently, the former Real Madrid man has already told team-mates he is finished with France but Domenech is to bid to convince the player to make one last appearance, against Republic of Ireland at Stade de France next month, as Vieira is suspended for the clash with Brian Kerr's charges.

planetfootball.com

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Neither did I, but anything is possible after Scholes retiring at 29.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    Haha, France's superior time is tearing apart. And they are nothing without Zidane. Live on the WC98 and EU00 (robbery) from now on.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    Not that I want either of the two to retire, but if Vieri why not Del Piero?

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Not that I want either of the two to retire, but if Vieri why not Del Piero?
    Because Vieri is trash and Del Piero is king, at least sometimes. Its harder to replace DP, than it is to replace the useless Vieri. Euro 04 was a perfect example of the true Vieri.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    That's ridiculous, Vieri has achieved a lot more with the national team than Del Piero has.
    No you are ridiculous, what he has done isnt important, because now he sucks!!!!, and he has not achieved a lot more with the national team than Del Piero, were have you been??

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    What a nightmare Vieri has become, _Emerson is right, DP cannot be replaced now and lots can do Vieris job

Imagine Bob came to Juve instead of Zlatan :yuck:

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++

Because Vieri is trash and Del Piero is king, at least sometimes. Its harder to replace DP, than it is to replace the useless Vieri. Euro 04 was a perfect example of the true Vieri.
    DP harder to replace than Vieri? BS. Imo both of them can easily be replaced as Lippi has Miccoli, Cassano, Gilardino, Toni, Corradi and others at his disposal. I don't want Alex to retire, I want him to shine with the Azzurri, but if Bobo's time is up then so is DP's imo.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++

No you are ridiculous, what he has done isnt important, because now he sucks!!!!, and he has not achieved a lot more with the national team than Del Piero, were have you been??
    There's no way in hell Del Piero's done more with la Nazionale than Vieri has. Ale has scored, what? One, two or three more than Vieri? He's also played much more games than Christian, and how many of DP's goals were in major tournaments. Two!

I agree with you when you say that it doesn't matter what Vieri has done in the past it's about what he has to offer now, but to say that DP has given more to the Azzurri than Vieri has is wrong IMO.

Vieri has every right to fight for a place in the NT, just like Del Piero does. Don't you think there are non-Juve fans out there calling for ADP to retire?

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004

DP harder to replace than Vieri? BS. Imo both of them can easily be replaced as Lippi has Miccoli, Cassano, Gilardino, Toni, Corradi and others at his disposal. I don't want Alex to retire, I want him to shine with the Azzurri, but if Bobo's time is up then so is DP's imo.
    Cassano and Miccoli could replace DP, but Toni and Gilardino could replace Vieri and make a huge positive difference from Vieri.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004

There's no way in hell Del Piero's done more with la Nazionale than Vieri has. Ale has scored, what? One, two or three more than Vieri? He's also played much more games than Christian, and how many of DP's goals were in major tournaments. Two!

I agree with you when you say that it doesn't matter what Vieri has done in the past it's about what he has to offer now, but to say that DP has given more to the Azzurri than Vieri has is wrong IMO.

Vieri has every right to fight for a place in the NT, just like Del Piero does. Don't you think there are non-Juve fans out there calling for ADP to retire?
    Bullshit!!!, and dont forget the different roles they play in.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    I know what roles they play, but fact is, Vieri came up big for Italy in two WCs, DP has yet to perform in a major tournament. 2002 isn't his fault because he didn't play as often as he should have, I'll give you that, but still, Bobo has done more for Italy.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    both of them can be very easily replaced when the time comes.cassano,miccoli and gilardino can take their place in time.

while vieri will most probably not see another major tournament with italy(he's 32,after all) del piero still has a fighting chance and has shown today that he's not done with the italia,at least for the time being.

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
    May 4, 2004

dissagree...!

DP has scored more goals for the NT then vieri has ..! believe it or not!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Like Stuart said, Vieri has dominated at least one major tournament (France98), Del Piero hasn't, he scores most of his goals in qualifying matches and friendlies.

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
    May 4, 2004
    here u go, and this goals are ONLY in tournaments no qualifying and friendlie matches!

Del Piero: has playd 67 matches, scored 25 goals. Made debut in 95' as 21 years old.

Vieri: has playd 43 matches, scored 22 goals. Made debut in 97' as 24 years old.

imo dp has had more succses with the NT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)