Makelele set to quit (4 Viewers)

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #21
    @Juve_Kosova:

++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

There's no way in hell Del Piero's done more with la Nazionale than Vieri has. Ale has scored, what? One, two or three more than Vieri? He's also played much more games than Christian, and how many of DP's goals were in major tournaments. Two!

I agree with you when you say that it doesn't matter what Vieri has done in the past it's about what he has to offer now, but to say that DP has given more to the Azzurri than Vieri has is wrong IMO.

Vieri has every right to fight for a place in the NT, just like Del Piero does. Don't you think there are non-Juve fans out there calling for ADP to retire?
    I stand correct, do I not? :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Euro96: didnt get a fair chance
    France98: no goals, Vieri scored 4 (?)
    Euro2000: one goal, failed to seal the win, Vieri was injured the whole tournament
    KoreaJapan02: one goal, Vieri scored 4
    Portugal04: no goals, Vieri failed to score as well

DP: 2
    Vieri: 8

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve_Kosova ] ++
    here u go, and this goals are ONLY in tournaments no qualifying and friendlie matches!

Del Piero: has playd 67 matches, scored 25 goals. Made debut in 95' as 21 years old.

Vieri: has playd 43 matches, scored 22 goals. Made debut in 97' as 24 years old.

imo dp has had more succses with the NT!
    You just don't get it do you? Those goals are NOT only in tournaments, those are all of the goals that those two guys have scored for the Azzurri, whether it be in friendlies or qualifiers. Del Piero has scored TWO goals in major tournaments for Italy, one in Euro 2000 and the other in WC 2002. All of the rest were scored in either Euro qualifiers, World Cup qualifiers, or friendlies. Vieri on the other hand has been Italy's top scorer in two back to back World Cups.

Look, Ale is my favourite player and I will never love a footballer like I love him. I pray for the man every single night and wish nothing but success for him, but if I went about the place saying that he has done more with the Italian NT than Vieri has I would be telling lies.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Euro96: didnt get a fair chance
    France98: no goals, Vieri scored 4 (?)
    Euro2000: one goal, failed to seal the win, Vieri was injured the whole tournament
    KoreaJapan02: one goal, Vieri scored 4
    Portugal04: no goals, Vieri failed to score as well

DP: 2
    Vieri: 8
    How dumb are you? you dont use goals as a benchmark for who's been best of them, Del Piero is not a target man like Vieri. He does other things than scoring goals too. Im sure DP has supported Vieri in the majority of the goals he has scored on the NT.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Makelele set to quit
    by Patrick Haond - Last Updated 9 Sep 2004

France midfielder Claude Makelele is expected to retire from international football.

The Chelsea star wanted to quit Les Bleus following their exit from Euro 2004 in order to concentrate on club matters.

The move would have seen Makelele join the likes of Lilian Thuram and Zinedine Zidane in quitting the national team.

However, new coach Raymond Domenech asked the 31-year-old to fill in for Patrick Vieira as the Arsenal captain was doubtful with the thigh injury that has been troubling him.

Although Makelele faced Israel, he was left out of the Faroe Islands encounter as Vieira skippered the side, and was sent off in the 2-0 win.

Apparently, the former Real Madrid man has already told team-mates he is finished with France but Domenech is to bid to convince the player to make one last appearance, against Republic of Ireland at Stade de France next month, as Vieira is suspended for the clash with Brian Kerr's charges.

planetfootball.com
    Vieira has a thigh?! :dazed:

china man

Sep 6, 2004
    Vieri and del piero!!!!!hmmm let see who play more first eleven in their respected Club and we will know who should retired early,but count out the injuries and the red cards !!!!!!!!then we will know who sholud retired first!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers To All
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++

How dumb are you? you dont use goals as a benchmark for who's been best of them, Del Piero is not a target man like Vieri. He does other things than scoring goals too. Im sure DP has supported Vieri in the majority of the goals he has scored on the NT.
    You have a point as the roles DP and Vieri play do differ, but you can look at it performance wise as well. When it has mattered most (apart from Euro 2004) Vieri has done what was asked of him. Del Piero on the other hand is considered as the man that made Italy lose against France in the Eu00 final, he didn't live up to expectations two years prior to that at France98, he did well given the amount of playing time he got in 2002 IMO, but in 2004 he once again let down the Azzurri. Vieri did so as well you can argue, but Bobo has past success going for him, Ale doesn't.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002

look at it this way.if del piero has done that much for italy he wouldn't be the one fighting for a first team place now,or even at korea/japan for that matter.the simple fact is,vieri has done more for italy and inter for the past few years than del piero has for the azzuri and juve.

sure,you don't just look at goals.then think to yourself,if ale has been the one doing the job for italy all along(or at least,more than vieri has) then why has he been the one struggling to hold a place in the team,even if he has scored more than vieri?doesn't that mean something to you?that vieri has dominated that first-choice place in attack for the longest time?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    France midfielder Claude Makelele is expected to retire from international football... Apparently, the former Real Madrid man has already told team-mates he is finished with France but Domenech is to bid to convince the player to make one last appearance, against Republic of Ireland at Stade de France next month, as Vieira is suspended for the clash with Brian Kerr's charges.
    ++ [ originally posted by barkuss ] ++
    About Makalele....who cares.....:D
    Me! France are in deep trouble at the moment, and the more players who retire, the more disorganised their new team will be when Ireland plays them in France next month. We've actually got a chance here!

++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Vieira has a thigh?! :dazed:
    :rofl: Very good.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #32
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Emerson, you are unbelievably biased on Del Piero.
    Agreed. A little bit of bias is always welcome when Del Piero's the player in question, but come on man, you're overdoing it :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

There's no way in hell Del Piero's done more with la Nazionale than Vieri has. Ale has scored, what? One, two or three more than Vieri? He's also played much more games than Christian, and how many of DP's goals were in major tournaments. Two!

I agree with you when you say that it doesn't matter what Vieri has done in the past it's about what he has to offer now, but to say that DP has given more to the Azzurri than Vieri has is wrong IMO.

Vieri has every right to fight for a place in the NT, just like Del Piero does. Don't you think there are non-Juve fans out there calling for ADP to retire?
    In fact, Del Piero did a lot more than Vieri. Wasn't it Ale who pulled us through the qualifying rounds two times in a row? Yes, Vieri was better at the major tournaments, but it was Ale who got us there. Vieri got us nowhere except for 1/8 final and the first round on Euro 2004.

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003

No you are ridiculous, what he has done isnt important, because now he sucks!!!![/ QUOTE]

And you're trying to defend Del Piero?!

Hypocrite:groan:

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #35
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

In fact, Del Piero did a lot more than Vieri. Wasn't it Ale who pulled us through the qualifying rounds two times in a row? Yes, Vieri was better at the major tournaments, but it was Ale who got us there. Vieri got us nowhere except for 1/8 final and the first round on Euro 2004.
    Indeed it was, and that's a valid point, but IMHO top players should be able to produce at the highest level and on the biggest stage. Vieri has done that, sadly Del Piero hasn't :down:

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

look at it this way.if del piero has done that much for italy he wouldn't be the one fighting for a first team place now,or even at korea/japan for that matter.the simple fact is,vieri has done more for italy and inter for the past few years than del piero has for the azzuri and juve .

sure,you don't just look at goals.then think to yourself,if ale has been the one doing the job for italy all along(or at least,more than vieri has) then why has he been the one struggling to hold a place in the team,even if he has scored more than vieri?doesn't that mean something to you?that vieri has dominated that first-choice place in attack for the longest time?
    Hold your horses, desmond....

WHAT IN THE HELL HAS DONE VIERI FOR iNTER ?????? last season, he barely play some games, cause he was injured and out of shape...always having troubles with Inter coaches...IMO, transfer to Inter was catastrophic for Vieri...what had they won together????

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

Hold your horses, desmond....

WHAT IN THE HELL HAS DONE VIERI FOR iNTER ?????? last season, he barely play some games, cause he was injured and out of shape...always having troubles with Inter coaches...IMO, transfer to Inter was catastrophic for Vieri...what had they won together????
    Well Inter's failure cant solely be blamed on Vieri....

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    Of course it cant solely be blamed i on Vieri, but the fact is that the Inter`s time of Vieri has been below the expectancies, instead when he was in Juve, he was at high pitch most of the time....
    In the seasons that Vieri has been wasted with Inter, Alex The Underachiver, in the few time he has got out of injuries and low shape crisis, has still managed to win two scudetti and arrive to a CL final....probably lucky.....

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #39
    Back to the original topic of this thread.

Makelele quits Les Bleus
    by Patrick Haond - Last Updated 11 Sep 2004

Claude Makelele has confirmed that he is calling time on his international career.

As skysports.com revealed on Thursday, the Chelsea midfielder feels he has no future with Les Bleus, and is not happy with joining the French squad and not playing.

The former Real Madrid man has now told France coach Raymond Domenech that he will not be representing his country.

With Patrick Vieira suspended for their World Cup qualifier against Ireland, it was thought Makelele could make one last appearance for France, but he has decided to concentrate on his club career at Chelsea.

"I explored everything in French team, even if I never won anything with them," Makelele told L'Equipe.

"I think a player like me can't keep going to French squad and not playing.

"In those conditions, I have no future with Les Bleus. I will be 33 for the next World Cup.

"The young players must get experience. I have waited too long to play in the French team.

"I had to make my decision and it was understood by Raymond Domenech, with whom I always had very good relationship.

"He knows me very well and understands my position. I came for the two matches against Israel and Faroe Islands, and I gave my best.

"They now needed people to take the team forward. But I will stop and it is finished."

Makelele says that his future now lies with Chelsea and believes that great things can be achieved at Stamford Bridge.

"The Chelsea project is a long term project. I have prolonged my contract for one more season.

"The club has invested a lot in me. My future is with this club.

"Little by little Chelsea is becoming a team. We have the potential to go a long way, and we will fight for that.

"Of course people will always compare us to Arsenal and we can't make a mistake."

planetfootball.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)