Makelele set to quit (2 Viewers)

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++
Of course it cant solely be blamed i on Vieri, but the fact is that the Inter`s time of Vieri has been below the expectancies, instead when he was in Juve, he was at high pitch most of the time....
In the seasons that Vieri has been wasted with Inter, Alex The Underachiver, in the few time he has got out of injuries and low shape crisis, has still managed to win two scudetti and arrive to a CL final....probably lucky.....
Does someone even consider the possibility that they could BOTH be important players for the national team? Vieri has scored tons of goals at major tournaments, Del Piero hasn't. Does this mean that Vieri is more important? Of course not, Del Piero has the task of dictating the play and setting up chances for others, as well as having a shot on goal himself. I think he did his job, just as Vieri did. Both are feared throughout the world, so to say that Vieri wasted seasons is rubbish. Did he also waste the 2002/2003 season, where he scored 24 goals in 23 matches, IN THE SERIE A? He's better then van Nistelrooy, he's better then Ronaldo. Vieri is the best goalscoring striker of his generation.

Buy on AliExpress.com

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
I just cant stop agree with you, no doubt that they both have been important, but i personally think Del Piero has more to give, or a more usefull style of play, than Vieri, who is far away from 02/03 season, he is way over it something Euro 2004 showed!, Del Piero is a more unique player type, he can still be important.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
That's because Vieri's style is a lot less spectacular to watch. He once said "I only play football to score goals, and I'm quite good at that." and thats completely true. He's like Trezeguet, as a rating he always gets a 5, unless he scores, then it's a 7 or something. That's not because he suddenly plays better that match, it's just his quality that he uses at that specific time. So you shouldn't judge Vieri by his performances throughout the game, but only when he scores.

Del Piero is sort of the same, only his job is to perform magic. A perfect through ball, pass or bicycle kick just looks a lot better then a quality finish.

What I'm trying to say is, that you really shouldn't judge Vieri and Del Piero on what they do 90 minutes long, players like Zambrotta and Nedved lack the raw talent of these two, but they make it up with their superb mentality and therefor always play well. DP/Vieri should only be judged on the 2-5 times a game that they are actually able of using their skill.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Oh, and about Vieri's Euro 2004 performance:

Sitting on the bench for half a year, having to see Adriano arrive, and fighting with just about everybody, has probably lowered his morale and form. He DID play very poor at Euro, and yesterday in the CL match too, but it could just be loss of confidence. He couldn't let his feet do what his head thougt of anymore. Maybe he can regain form, but he is old for a striker, so if he doesn't it will be one more long though season and then retirement I'm afraid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)