Luis Suarez - Forward - Liverpool (8 Viewers)

If possible, would you sign Luis Suárez?

• Yes, he's a great player

• Yes, but only if the price is right

• Begrudgingly, his talent outweighs the negatives

• No, his character doesn't reflect well on Juventus

• No, he is almost subhuman

• Kill it, kill it with fire!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Messi's scored a handball too. And it doesn't matter who's better or worse because to you it's all about not being a cheater.
Okay, when Messi does what Suarez does, get back to me. Or when he starts biting people for that matter. Am I allowed to bring that up since you make the assumption that my not wanting him here is based solely on the Ghana incident?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Well say that then. The Ghana thing isn't even an "incident" tbh, it was him committing a foul. The biting? Sure. Even though it was more of a nibble.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Well say that then. The Ghana thing isn't even an "incident" tbh, it was him committing a foul. The biting? Sure. Even though it was more of a nibble.
I touched on it a page ago.

Regarding Suarez's so-called foul, we'll just have to disagree on the severity of it, and the symbolism/implication I (and many others) attach to it. You have things like professional fouling/tackling, diving, off-the-ball shenanigans happening in every match in every league every weekend. These aren't good, admittedly, and need to be stamped out surely. Is there a big fuss about them? No, because most are desensitized into accepting it all complacently due to frequency. Is that wrong? Yeah, but on the other hand, you don't have something like Suarez's volleyball maneuver happening much. It was different and very cynical (being done on such a big stage didn't help). The aforementioned symbolism/implication? It was the equivalent of a big "fuck you" to his opponent and the game itself.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
i dont get all this fuzz really

there are clear penalty's for stopping a promising counter, handballing a shot out of goal etc

the red card and also in the second case a penalty

just because it happens at the end of the game doesnt mean jack.
his action got him red carded and a penalty.

that ghana fails to score the penalty, is their failure.

also, i loved how that ended those freaking annoying vuvuzela's in the stadium

Xiven

Jul 14, 2011
Okay, when Messi does what Suarez does, get back to me. Or when he starts biting people for that matter. Am I allowed to bring that up since you make the assumption that my not wanting him here is based solely on the Ghana incident?
Messi kicking the ball at the crowd (what if it was your 90 year old grandmother or 5 year old niece the ball hit?). Messi deserved a proper beat down for that. I think it's why Pepe stamped Messi's hand when he got the chance to.

Messi spitting #1

Messi spitting #2

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Messi kicking the ball at the crowd...
Wow. Talk about grasping for straws. You're seriously (seriously!?) comparing these instances with Suarez's episode? No doubt they're tasteless acts more than likely born of frustration, but in themselves not altogether uncommon - understandable at that. Biting people though? No one does that in the sports world unless you're Mike Tyson - a clearly imbalanced individual. No one does that in the day-to-day world unless you're a PCP user.

Either way, I've said what I wanted and I'm going to leave it at that.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
As much as he's a cheater vs. Ghana, I can support that. He did the correct thing for his team.

But the racist stuff I want to get nowhere near. :stuckup:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Within the rules? What? LOL... It's about as far outside of the rules as a player can get.
What I mean by "within the rules" is, I would define cheating as attempting to gain an unfair advantage and get away with it e.g. diving to win a penalty, faking injury to get a player sent off, scoring with your hand and claiming the goal.

What Suarez did was highly unconventional and admittedly against the spirit of the game, but in no way did he attempt to get away with circumventing the rules. He knew the consequences of his actions and (correctly) decided that it was worth getting a red card and a penalty.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
How did you feel when Nedved was diving?
I touched on it a page ago.

Regarding Suarez's so-called foul, we'll just have to disagree on the severity of it, and the symbolism/implication I (and many others) attach to it. You have things like professional fouling/tackling, diving, off-the-ball shenanigans happening in every match in every league every weekend. These aren't good, admittedly, and need to be stamped out surely. Is there a big fuss about them? No, because most are desensitized into accepting it all complacently due to frequency. Is that wrong? Yeah, but on the other hand, you don't have something like Suarez's volleyball maneuver happening much. It was different and very cynical (being done on such a big stage didn't help). The aforementioned symbolism/implication? It was the equivalent of a big "$#@! you" to his opponent and the game itself.
but let's say instead of handballing, suarex had just taclked strongly from behind. he would have got the same outcome (red card + penalty that ghana missed)

no one would have cared.

it's not cheating. Henry hand goal vs ireland is cheating. Maradona hann of god is cheating. Buffon taking the ball out is cheating. They got away with doing it with no punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)