Luis Muriel - Striker - Udinese (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #41
    Good player but we have enough driblers, our priority now is a finisher!
    We are creative enough chances as it is, the problem is that we dont have the man to finish them...
    Cron, I am usually with you on many matters, but firstly, the boy can finish and secondly, we don't have anyone I would consider a quality dribbler other than Pirlo, whose pace and position make his dribbling abilities usually focused on making a little bit of space to deliver a great pass or fending of others and maintaining possession, looking for a safe or interesting option to deliver the ball.

We haven't had a player who can take people on in the final third like this kid seems to be able to consistently, since DP was in his prime and before him Baggio. I'm not sure how many members here are old enough to have watched Baggio in action?? He was and remains one of my favourite players of all time, in our jersey, in any jersey...He could dribble, create, score. Jovetic is similar, though lacking some of the old buddhist's grit. Still wonderfully potent though. As Muriel could turn out to be.

the vast majority of our goals come about through top quality runs and passing, NOT through classy dribbling, taking on players one on one and dribbling past them, or individual moments of magic. Every time one of our strikers heads towards goal his actions are easy to predict. That can't be said of Muriel. Of course still very young, very inexperienced, but so far in his career, he has kept developing and presently seems like exactly the kind of player our front line needs, instead of Giovinco, instead of Vucinic. He has the potential to be far better than them both. Stick Muriel alongside a proper target man...like Llorente and we will be flying.

He looks too good to be a one trick pony. And no, we don't have any dribblers other than a regista who can dribble, who has the pace of a snail.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I'm just commenting from the video but you can see his technical ability are not one offs. Meaning he pulled something out of his ass and is now someone everyone wants. He's actually a well balanced player. If conte ventures back to a 4-3-3 he'd be huge on the right coming in with his left foot. Which seems quite accurate. Strong has speed and can actually hold off defenders unlike Gio but in. 3-5-2 would playing a bit behind but just like Lopez if we are signing llorente are we prepared to bench vucinic? Muriel is young so he has time on his hands to be on the bench but would be really want too? Am I making sense?
    I'd bench Vucinic now. Have him sharing/competing for the position of SS with Giovinco. With Quagiarella starting every game for at least 5 or 6 as our prima punta, as he played so perfectly with DP before he suffered that nasty injury, he was scoring goals for fun, not always his spectacular strikers but the kind of goals a prima punta gets. headers! 6 yards pokes into the net. He can play that role in a front two. I just feel that given a run of games, he would find his form and solve some of our present problems.

I am no major fan of Mirko, or any player who blows more cold than hot, often looks disinterested, seems to have trouble holding up the ball, often picks the wrong fancy pass, tests the keeper with less than half of his shots on target, drifts in and out of games. When he is good, he is a great player, but how often is he that great player??? I prefer Giovinco, purely because he has better pace and works tremendously harder. Not many teams plays with, effectively, two SSs up front. Their natural game is to create, not finish. Mirko has done well for us, but I suspect Quags would do equally well if not better if given a similar amount of consistent starts. Ideally an SS plays with a prima punta. We play SS and SS. I understand that Matri is finished...but Quags isnt. I hope we sign Immobile then at least we have another player who thrives in the 18 yard box.

the amount of terrible misses between Gio and Mirko this season truly makes them one of the worst starting duos I have ever seen for Juve. Its such a shame, for we have a world class GK, CB, top quality wingbacks, a superb midfield but a wretched attack.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    The thing is though, that since calciopoli we spend most of our budget to upgrade our SSs each and every year and we have yet to land in the Trezequet replacement.
    So this should be the priority, SSs are easy to find, every year a new Sanchez, Jovetic, Muriel rises and besides our current options are good enough IMO (Giovinco and Vucinic)
    but we really need to upgrade from the Borriello, Bendtner class, to smth more Juve level first. This is a priority, after that, we could consider upgrading Giovinco...

And i agree about the Quaq thing, it is a mistake to play with two SSs, but it seems that Conte doesnt trusts Quaq (although we have rejected a decent offer for him)

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #44
    The thing is though, that since calciopoli we spend most of our budget to upgrade our SSs each and every year and we have yet to land in the Trezequet replacement.
    So this should be the priority, SSs are easy to find, every year a new Sanchez, Jovetic, Muriel rises and besides our current options are good enough IMO (Giovinco and Vucinic)
    but we really need to upgrade from the Borriello, Bendtner class, to smth more Juve level first. This is a priority, after that, we could consider upgrading Giovinco...

And i agree about the Quaq thing, it is a mistake to play with two SSs, but it seems that Conte doesnt trusts Quaq (although we have rejected a decent offer for him)
    I concur, Cron...I've been crying out for a natural born goal scorer since Trez departed. We have managed to bring the rest of the squad up to a solid standard, and our most obvious problem with our ideal starting Xi is a lack of a prima punta who is deadly in the box. I'm greedy and very much hope we procure Luis, but presently, yes I agree, our most pressing need is for a goalscorer. With llorente in the bag for June, chase for Drogba/Lisandro/Immobile, its clear that our management also agree. We are actively pursuing goalscorers. Alongside that, lets get rid of Vucinic, bring in Luis to compete with/back-up Giovinco.

I'm unsure of prices. Rumours of grabbing a 'first option' seem bizarre. Its not how we operate as a club. And if we did, how would a first option work? We get to speak to the player first if he is put up for sale, but what if the club wants a better price than we are prepared to offer? We can ALWAYS be trumped by other clubs financially. Still...we have good relations with Udinese, so the fact that we seem to be talking to them about Muriel is positive enough for me to harbour hopes we will get him...at some point.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010

do you realize that no big team play with true CF anymore? even guys like ibra, cavani and falcao are quite far from the type of inzaghi and trezeguet; ibra, cavani and falcao are more fitting in the SS category.

then you have gomez, van persie, rooney, benzema, higuain, suarez etc, non of them are true CF like in the days of old.

and finally messi and cr7, obviously they aren't CF, they never were.

why insist on CF when there aren't any and the supposed top of the category is below par these so called not true CF?

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012
    Udinese wants Richmond Boakye as part of a deal for Muriel, I seriously hope we don't do that. He's a raw talent that has the potential to become the new Trez.

Klovn

#MakeTuzGreatAgain
    Jul 28, 2011
    Really? He's that promising? How consistent his he? From the stats after his injury he's doing quite well but last season regardless of his goal tally was he quite involved with the play or was he in and out of it?
    Maybe i should have mentioned that it's my opnion :D

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #59
    do you realize that no big team play with true CF anymore? even guys like ibra, cavani and falcao are quite far from the type of inzaghi and trezeguet; ibra, cavani and falcao are more fitting in the SS category.

then you have gomez, van persie, rooney, benzema, higuain, suarez etc, non of them are true CF like in the days of old.

and finally messi and cr7, obviously they aren't CF, they never were.

why insist on CF when there aren't any and the supposed top of the category is below par these so called not true CF?
    You focus too much on the term rather than the meaning. Cron wants, what I want, what anyone with basic understanding of football and who follows Juve wants...namely, a striker whose capable, above all else, of scoring goals. no matter how he gets his goals, he gets his goals. Its great if you can have a rooney or benzema or ibra or mesi, but that doesnt detract from the fact that what our offence lacks is a player, whatever term of position you want to give him, whose main job and main talent is scoring goals. Forget about categories, just try to understand that when people say we need a CF a prima punta, its invariably an attempt to say 'we are crying the fuck out, game after game, for a player whose prime job, prime talent is scoring goals'.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)