Luciano Moggi (8 Viewers)

Shall we move Moggi's thread to the [Legend] section?

• Yes, move it to the legend section

• No, it shouldn't, keep it as it is

• I don't care/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Gladstone, Kapo, Zalayeta, Blasi, Giannichedda, Zebina, Olivera.

Consider how much they cost and how much the market has inflated since then, to put it into perspective.

Look at the difference in the players we're signing now and the ones we signed when Calciopoli was fresh and our reputation was at its lowest point and we had no money.
He rarely over payed mediocre players, the likes of Zebina, Blasi and Gianicheda were good depth, Zebina even a regular for a while and IIRC they were all brought for 0m. Not saying that he didn't have mistakes, he did, Henry probably being the biggest mistake during his tenure here, but he did have less resources available at that time as I remember Agnelli's were more concerned about Ferrari and Formula 1 and directed funds into that industry, while Juve were left with very limited budget to operate. Moggi is still untouchable, and rightly so.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
This whole Moggi vs Marotta isn't fair. Moggi was working with the REAL Agnelli boss, the man that judged players upon their character and their sporting contributions, Agnelli Sn was a real man. While Marotta is a very competent GM, he's working with a spineless, spoiled, sheltered, overgrown child. One that pushed out the clubs greatest legend, prostitutes his best players and doesn't fund for shits.

The real issue is Agnelli.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
What Zalayeta, Blasi and Giannichedda cost would be the equivalent of more than 10 million now.

Anyway, Moggi didn't have to build a winning squad from crap. He had a quality team, a lot of money, and the name Juventus (in the strongest league).Marotta had a much harder job.
When Moggi came here in 1994, Juve didn't win Serie A for 9 years. Most of players have been gradually replaced over the time, and for relatively small fees.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If Moggi had inherited an old, overpaid, squad who had just come off of a 7th palce finish, he would have done the same thning that Marotta did, and blow the whole damn thing up.

Don't think for one minute that he wouldn't have. But he didn't have to, because of theplayers he inherited when he got there.

OP
Jul 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2,167
    Blanchard, Salas, O'Neill, Zenoni,Athrison

No one is perfect,man. And a couple of those names I mentioned are fairly expensive disappointments
    Salas isn't his fault. He was like Cavani of late 90's. No one is perfect but gap between two is obvious. Moggi was better than a manager supposed to be, good enough to be a main target of greatest conspiracy in sports history.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    People still mix up Secco signings with Marotta's.
    Secco was just stupid, Marotta is good at what he does, and he'll have a good successor in Paratrici (can't spell his name), but Agnelli is the one that is slowing down the pack, he should take a background role, deal with what he's good at, that stocks and all that bullshit I know none about.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    When Moggi came here in 1994, Juve didn't win Serie A for 9 years. Most of players have been gradually replaced over the time, and for relatively small fees.
    yet he still had Baggio, a young Del Piero, Ravanelli, Dino Baggio, Kohler, Moeller, Di Livio, Vialli when he arrived.

They also hired a certain Marcello Lippi in 1994 as well.

Juve were also previously dealing with an absolutely world class AC Milan squad for the majority of that time.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    Salas isn't his fault. He was like Cavani of late 90's. No one is perfect but gap between two is obvious. Moggi was better than a manager supposed to be, good enough to be a main target of greatest conspiracy in sports history.
    Moggi was great at what he did, sure. So all we're really saying is that you can't say Marotta sucks because of how awesome Moggi was.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Vidal was still virtually an unknown who's really made his name with us. Tevez was just right timing. I'm talking more of well known players.
    Such as who, may I ask?

What superstar, well known, world class player did Moggi sign that was world class when he signed him?

And I am talking a World Class player that had already reached that level when Moggi signed him.

OP
    Jul 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2,174
    Moggi was great at what he did, sure. So all we're really saying is that you can't say Marotta sucks because of how awesome Moggi was.
    I already said he is the cactus in the desert, so we can't ask for someone better atm but when we get where were we before the calciopoli, we'll need someone with better vision and negotiation skills. I only post in this thread because someone said 'Moggi made us sad and Marotta is much better'. This is absurd.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Viera, Nedved, Buffon...
    Vieira was past it when he signed,was an unnecessary signing at the time and for 18 million to boot.

Nedved and Buffon were as a direct result of the sale of Zidane. Never would have happened if that money was not there, and Zidane was a known player, but not a World Class player when he joined Juve at the age of 24.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    I already said he is the cactus in the desert, so we can't ask for someone better atm but when we get where were we before the calciopoli, we'll need someone with better vision and negotiation skills. I only post in this thread because someone said 'Moggi made us sad and Marotta is much better'. This is absurd.
    Who would you like instead?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
    May 23, 2011
    Juve was a top 4 European club at the time. What Marotta inherited was top what, 20?
    I'm not debating Marotta's good work so far. I like the guy, and IMO he did very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Vieira was past it when he signed,was an unnecessary signing at the time and for 18 million to boot.

Nedved and Buffon were as a direct result of the sale of Zidane. Never would have happened if that money was not there, and Zidane was a known player, but not a World Class player when he joined Juve at the age of 24.
    You're right, those two would never happen as we didn't have such funding as we have nowadays. I don't agree with your Viera's assessment, as he was highly sought all around Europe back then and was truly WC player. I forgot Emerson, he was WC as well.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Anyway, the moral of the story is that Moggi was great (which he was), and Marotta has work to do to get to that level. But, all in all, considering that in his 4th season as DG, they have had one bad 1/2 season (his first), I think that he will get there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not debating Marotta's good work so far. I like the guy, and IMO he did very good.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, those two would never happen as we didn't have such funding as we have nowadays. I don't agree with your Viera's assessment, as he was highly sought all around Europe back then and was truly WC player. I forgot Emerson, he was WC as well.
    Emerson cost 25 million back then (cash and Brighi 8 years ago), and he was 29 years old. What would your reaction be now if Marotta spent 25 million on a 29 year old defensive midfielder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)