Luca Marrone (4 Viewers)

I am John

The Anallist
May 1, 2012
He anticipates well, but his positionning is wrong

wich is totally normal considering he's a rather offensive midfielder, then a centreback

i however think he can add something to our defence, if he can get over the positional difficulties

because he's an intelligent player, he could be reschooled to centreback i think, so i wanna see more games from him on that position
Agree, his anticipation was exceptional at some occasions.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
His strengths aren't suited to being deployed in defense. Absolutely no man marking skills, he's better moving forward with the ball, than blocking opposition movement. His physicality though allows him to be a versatile sub. I'd love to see him play more because he very clearly has the ability and temperament. I'm hoping he will have a starting role in the Coppa,

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
he seems to be a very likeable guy.

i think it is a wise move to put him in the sweeper position, because it relieves him of the pressure he would feel if he played as regista like pirlo.

he can basically sniff into the game, learn how to build up play without being closed down quickly. if he played in the pirlo role he would be marked out of the game to easily and always feel the pressure when having the ball, but so far back in our defense he can get used to play in serie a tempo without too high expectations and learn to read the game.

i do not believe that the plan is necessarily to make him a centre back in a back three, but more to give him some much needed playing time.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
His passes are so clean too. Great touch on the ball. I like him more as an AM but he definitely has the talent to play wherever.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
He made some good runs into the midfield, I would like to see him there. I could only see him being a CB if he is simply there to be a ball playing sweeper.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Id like to see more of him in midfield. Has te ability and physique to be quite a presence.

- - - Updated - - -

He was. I love how all the flack is being passed on to Barzagli for the first goal, Marrona was nowhere to be seen in our defense. We played with two defenders and a dude who appears when we pick up the ball again, no wonder our defense was so shaky. I cant' wait to have Bonucci back.
The goal conceded was all de ceglie really.. Got skinned like he wasnt there, creating a numerical disadvantage doe the central defenders.

May 22, 2007
he seems to be a very likeable guy.

i think it is a wise move to put him in the sweeper position, because it relieves him of the pressure he would feel if he played as regista like pirlo.

he can basically sniff into the game, learn how to build up play without being closed down quickly. if he played in the pirlo role he would be marked out of the game to easily and always feel the pressure when having the ball, but so far back in our defense he can get used to play in serie a tempo without too high expectations and learn to read the game.

i do not believe that the plan is necessarily to make him a centre back in a back three, but more to give him some much needed playing time.
I agree that the primary reason for deputising him in that position is to give him the chance to play in a role which fits his best characteristics as a midfielder. However, I don't agree that he is being put there because he would be marked out of the game in that Pirlo role. If there was a genuine concern about that, then I don't think the structure of the team would stay the same while Pirlo is absent from the starting XI. I don't really think coaches will look at the team and treat a 22 year old with the same deal of attention as they would Pirlo, because it's going to take a while for anyone to become as effective as him and earn that respect. Pogba has come into the role at a younger and more inexperienced level to Marrone and played the Pirlo role on his debut, I think Conte has assigned each starting player a substitute to be their replacement if the time is right.

It seems Pogba is being groomed for the Pirlo role (I think Raiola played his part in that), Giaccherini is hovering around midfield and deputising for Marchisio and Vidal while there is also Asamoah willing to fit into that position. Marrone becoming a defender/midfielder type, that Barcelona are so willing to produce these days. The shape of the team doesn't have to change this way either.

I'm not really fond of the thought of not using him in midfield at all though. I'm almost certain he can be more productive than Giaccherini (aside from distance covered per match) if he's given time in his natural role, and I don't like the thought of him losing a place in the team if he doesn't adapt to defence well enough. It's quite vicious really, in the few games he participated in last season he made a positive impression in almost all of them, and now he's required to adapt his game to a new position.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
He should never be played in the center of a 3 man defence, of anywhere in a 3 man defense. I'd like us to give him more chances in MF or if we are adamant on playing him in defense then switch back to 433.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It's tough to pick between him and Pogba. I think they could both play together but Marrone more forward in a Gerrard type of role. I don't think we'll ever see that happen unfortunately. A shame because it would be very interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)