Looking for Examples of Tall Footballers That Did/Do Well as Forwards (1 Viewer)

May 25, 2019
I am still new to the sport and I am looking for examples of players that have similar strengths and weaknesses that my son has that have done well in pro leagues. My son currently plays forward and is tracking to be anywhere from 6'4"-6'8" in height with a big frame based on projections from his Dr's. I am 6'6" in height so I assume that he'll be somewhere around my height when he's done growing but only time will tell that tale. Now I am not insinuating that he will be a pro player by any means as that is a beyond unfair expectation to pin on any child, but he really loves the sport and I want him to go as far as his work ethic and his talents will take him if he continues with his love for the game into his teenage years (he is 9 years old now).

These are his main strengths:
A powerful and fairly accurate shot
A good knack of finishing around the net
Pretty good footwork for a kid with his size
Tends to make the right reads in terms of when to shoot and when to pass
Strong as an Ox

These are his main weaknesses:
Usually one of the slower players on the field so as he gets older he will need to continue to work on this
Stamina, see above
Still learning to use his size to his advantage, but when he does smaller players get beyond frustrated with his combo of size and strength

Are there any former or current Juve players that would've had a similar skill set? Any non Juve players that I could find video of for him to learn how to use his strengths to his advantage?

Thanks in advance!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
Luca Toni and Bierhoff were very good, Jan Koller and Crouch were decent footballer too. Zlatan though is the best of the giants cause he combines physicality with great technique

Strickland

May 17, 2019
damn, between 1.95-2.07m is really tall for a footballer. from the elite footballers/attackers only a handful have been that tall, Koller was 2.02, Crouch 2.01 and Ibra 1.95. given how one sided both Koller and Crouch were, the best advice I guess would be to give some karate training to the kid :D but seriously talking, for the big forwards I think coordination and physique is key, at that height he'll never be able to constantly run and press opponents like young Tevez or Sanchez, so not sure the weak parts can be eliminated fully. my advice would be don't make him focus solely on footie, there are plenty of sports that are also fun to play and develops your movement like basketball, hockey, fighting arts et

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Luca Toni and Bierhoff were very good, Jan Koller and Crouch were decent footballer too. Zlatan though is the best of the giants cause he combines physicality with great technique
Bierhoff was really not that tall, not abnormally for football. He was normal for box strikers, like Ruud, Trezegol or and so on.

Van Basten and Zlatan are the ultimate examples of combining towering stature with skill. Berbatov too in part. Luca Toni fairly big and extremely efficient scorer. Tho late bloomer. Probably took a while to develop because it's not that easy to build around someone that big in younger ages.

The true Giants in Crouch, Koller or John Carew didnt have an optimal skillset to do well since their height was more hindrance, hard to be anything but clumsy if you arent extra gifted to make up for it.

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Bierhoff was really not that tall, not abnormally for football.

Van Basten and Zlatan are the ultimate examples of combining towering stature with skill. Berbatov too in part.
Van Basten was not that tall either, shorter than Bierhoff at 188 cm so just a little taller than Ronaldo. Bierhoff was 191 cm.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I misremebered then, I assumed Bierhoff was 185m, he never seemed that tall to me. While Vam Basten was one of the first true tall superstars in modern game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)