Libya 2011 Demonstrations (7 Viewers)

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #344
    Anyway, the Libyan ambassadors in Poland, Tunisia and France have resigned.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #345
    From the Guardian:

Latest updates emailed from Ahmed, a bank worker in Libya:

Tripoli: Centre of town is completely blocked by the regime in anticipation of foreign media arrival (most likely CNN). The regime aims to prove that there are no issues on the ground and to falsify the massacres and genocide of the past five days and nights.

Tarhouna: Military (the 7th and 9th brigade) have joined the people and denounced the regime. Kindly note, this is the same military facility which lead the Gaddafi revolution to overthrow King Idris in 1969.

Zintan: Still in desperate need of medical supplies.

Tripoli & Benghazi: Both cities are alarmingly quiet. Not a sound to be heard.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #347
    In eastern Libya, citizens buoyant and cautious as they await Gadhafi's move

"Your passports please," said the young man in civilian clothing toting an AK-47 at the Libyan border.

"For what?" responded our driver, Saleh, a burly, bearded man who had picked us up just moments before. "There is no government. What is the point?" He pulled away with a dismissive laugh.

On the Libyan side, there were no officials, no passport control, no customs.

I've seen this before. In Afghanistan after the route of the Taliban, in Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein. Government authority suddenly evaporates. It's exhilarating on one level; its whiff of chaos disconcerting on another.

The scene on the Libyan side of the border was jarring. Men - and teenage boys - with clubs, pistols and machine guns were trying to establish a modicum of order.

Hundreds of Egyptian workers were trying to get out, their meager possessions - bags, blankets, odds and ends - piled high on top of minibuses.

Egyptian border officials told us that 15,000 people had crossed from Libya on Monday alone.

"Welcome to free Libya," said one of the armed young men now controlling the border.

"Free Libya" was surprisingly normal, once we got out of the border area. We stopped for petrol - there were no lines - and saw some stores were open. The electricity was working. The cell phone system is still functioning, though you can't call abroad. The internet, however, has been down for days.

On the other hand, we did see regular groups of more armed young men in civilian clothing, stopping cars, checking IDs, asking questions. All were surprised, but happy, to see the first television news crew to cross into Libya since the uprising began February 15.

They were polite, if a tad giddy. Having thrown off the yoke of Moammar Gadhafi's 42-year rule (longer than most Libyans have been alive), it's understandable.

As we made our way westward from the border, driver Saleh gave me a running commentary on all the sins of the Gadhafi family and its cronies:

"You see all the potholes in this lousy road? This should be a four-lane highway. Gadhafi spent hardly a dinar on this part of the country."

"You see that rest house? Gadhafi's son built it, and overcharged the government."

"You see that house? It was stolen from its owner and given to one of Gadhafi's sons."

"You see those flashes? That's an ammunition dump an army officer loyal to Gadhafi set on fire before fleeing to Tripoli."

Saleh was also full of useful advice, I think.

"If you get stopped by forces loyal to Gadhafi, tell them you're a German doctor. Don't say you're a journalist. And say your colleagues are doctors, too."

When we finally reached our destination - which I can't disclose - we drove up to a nondescript villa and were greeted by a dozen men who could barely contain their excitement.

After endless handshakes, embraces and greetings, a man in his 50s wearing a dark overcoat and red sweater pushed through the crowd.

"You must show the world what has happened here. We will show you everything, everything!" I'll call him Ahmed, and he described himself as one of the leaders of "the resistance." He had studied briefly in the United States, but his academic career was cut short when he was imprisoned for three years for leading student protests against Gadhafi in the 1970s.

He accompanied us to our accommodations, asking us about American football, baseball, the American university where he studied. I was able to get a few questions in sideways. He told me the army in the east had joined the anti-Gadhafi movement, that there were still pro-Gadhafi elements operating in the east (and therefore we needed to be very careful).

He and many others in eastern Libya are well aware their struggle against Gadhafi's regime is going to be tough, and bloodier still. They may be buoyed by their success so far, but they're under no illusion that Gadhafi isn't willing to use everything in his arsenal - aircraft, mercenaries, whatever it takes - to stay in power.

At the border, a man asked me, "Did you see he used helicopters and war planes against protesters in Tripoli today? This is genocide."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/2...ant-and-cautious-as-they-await-gadhafis-move/

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #349
    From the Guardian:

Salem Gnan, a London-based spokesman for the National Front for the Salvation of Libya, told the Guardian he has spoken to his brother-in-law this morning who reports dead bodies in the streets of Tripoli.

"There are reports that the main hospital has been bombed and anyone who is out on the street - especially if they are in groups of more than three or four - are being shot and killed," said Gnan. "The regime is still doing whatever it can to hold onto Tripoli and people are getting desperate - they need medicine and water and food; there are dead bodies in the streets because it is still too dangerous for people to go out and recover them."

Phone lines into Libya are down once again today but Gnan says his family have able to make sporadic calls to the UK.

"They are very miserable. People are just waiting for the chance to gather but at the moment they are being stopped. Those who have tried to travel from other parts of the country have been stopped outside. The other towns and cities, the ones more than 30 or 40km out, are relatively quiet and are in the hands of the protesters but in Tripoli things are very difficult and Gaddafi will do whatever he can to hold on."

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Gaddafi's speech :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I swear, I don't remember laughing so much watching something on tv, my stomach and cheek hurts, I'm literally in tears laughing.

Did you guys listen to his speech? What the fuck was that? hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005

I swear, I don't remember laughing so much watching something on tv, my stomach and cheek hurts, I'm literally in tears laughing.

Did you guys listen to his speech? What the fuck was that? hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha
    :lol2:

That's a regular Gaddafi speech btw, he's been doing this for 42 years.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004

Link me to the speech.

delrey

Jan 5, 2009
    Castro: NATO planing invasion of Libya

HAVANA - The United States will soon order the NATO alliance to invade Libya in order to assume control over the rich oil fields in the country torn riots, wrote the now former Cuban leader Fidel Castro wrote in a column for the state media, adding that the riots in Libya possible precursor NATO invasion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)