02. Buffon 12 618
03. Pirlo 11 807
04. Chiellini 11 002
05. Vidal 10 982

Irreplaceable :D

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
That's what annoys me though, I can accept him not scoring headers for fun even though he should with all the chances he gets but I can't accept him winning all the headers in the oppositions box like it's not even difficult, but getting completely and utterly embarrassed when it's at our end.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He's a lot better at winning offensive headers than he is defensive headers, which I don't completely understand. It's like he doesn't jump properly in a defensive stance, but give him something to attack and he loves it.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
:lol: They look pretty amazing when they come off but ffs I almost look away when I see him lining up a reverse leg sweep. I dunno man it's like this guy has too much confidence for his role. He has some games where you think he's finally wised up but then all of a sudden he's doing some crazy shit

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
The reason he might win more attacking headers is that attacking headers normally come after a run into the box and a leap. Defending headers, normally you are in the box positioned so rarely have a run up, i.e. will be more static

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
That does play a part but even still his air game disintegrates in his own box, he seemingly loses the ability to jump or to at least lean on attackers enough to put them off a la what every CB in the world does when they know they're beaten in the air.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Probably, because it's not just as set pieces. Regular aerial duels he doesn't seem to win as often as he should.

Looking at the stats on Whoscored he is winning overall 60-65% of duels, and it seems he should be doing better. But then you look at Chiellini's stats and they are <50% in Serie A and 75% in the CL, so it's difficult to say.

For reference Caceres is at 70%.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Tbf as good as Chiellini is from a defensive standpoint he's what 6' tall and not super-athletic so most players he'll come up against can give him a battle in the air at the very least so long as they time his jumps. He has been notably winning headers in the CL though, his anticipation has been good. Chiellini keeps nipping in front of static players waiting for a long ball and heading it clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 191)