Learning italian (6 Viewers)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I would study Spanish or other language that you can use it in more places (which is spoken by more people) than one country..

Jun 26, 2007
When I was 7 or 8 years old I guess. But what I notice in a lot of countries is that they dub television. In Belgium they use subtitles, which is a lot better IMO because that way you're learning the foreign language, whether you like it or not.
Exactly. BTW Arnold Schwarzenegger dubbed in French is one of the most stupid sounding things I've heard in my whole life.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I would study Spanish or other language that you can use it in more places (which is spoken by more people) than one country..
If it's economics you're on about, why choose a poor man's language anyway? Pick German or French, they're a hell of a lot better than Spanish.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I used an excellent audio program called Pimsleur's Italian (they've got courses for a lot of other languages too), which I just listened to on my iPod during my morning and evening commute. The way it's taught makes it easy to pick up, and it got me through 3 weeks in Italy just fine ;)

May 22, 2007
I used an excellent audio program called Pimsleur's Italian (they've got courses for a lot of other languages too), which I just listened to on my iPod during my morning and evening commute. The way it's taught makes it easy to pick up, and it got me through 3 weeks in Italy just fine ;)
did that cost you anything?

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
the good hing i have noticd is using a book for the gramattical things and also, i was watching a film in brazilian portuguese and i understood quite a bit of it.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
People always tell me Spanish is even easier.
I don't speak italian, i speak spanish, but I more or less understand at least 80-90% of italian, both spoken and written. I can't really speak it myself, simply because I've never in my life had a class, but I'm sure I could learn it in under 2 months given the fact that I already know how the grammar works.

Spanish is easy as hell too, they're pretty much 2 dialects of the same language

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
If it's economics you're on about, why choose a poor man's language anyway? Pick German or French, they're a hell of a lot better than Spanish.
Ahhh, you clearly don't understand. The idea is to live the life of a rich man by employing all the spanish speaking mexicans :p

OP

Dano

Jul 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #32
    Thanks for the replies guys, you’ve helped me a lot!

vSnoop, I completely understand where your coming from but I definitely want to study Italian. It’s a country which I would love the experience to travel often and maybe even live once I’m older. I know I’ll find it tough to begin with, but it’s the same with anything, if you keep at it you’ll get good.

Gray thanks for suggesting Pimsleur’s Italian. From what I’ve read so far it seems that they’d be very useful.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys, you’ve helped me a lot!

vSnoop, I completely understand where your coming from but I definitely want to study Italian. It’s a country which I would love the experience to travel often and maybe even live once I’m older. I know I’ll find it tough to begin with, but it’s the same with anything, if you keep at it you’ll get good.

Gray thanks for suggesting Pimsleur’s Italian. From what I’ve read so far it seems that they’d be very useful.
    I have the CDs of Pimsleur's somewhere. Perhaps a torrent upload is in order. :p

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    to study a language is hard, especially if you dont live or ever lived in the country, part of learning a language is through conversation with others and not just through books and tapes
    I think that depends on person and the language he's learning. If it's any close to the one(s) he already speaks, then no problem here.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I don't speak italian, i speak spanish, but I more or less understand at least 80-90% of italian, both spoken and written. I can't really speak it myself, simply because I've never in my life had a class, but I'm sure I could learn it in under 2 months given the fact that I already know how the grammar works.

Spanish is easy as hell too, they're pretty much 2 dialects of the same language
    I can read Spanish and people tell me I should be able to understand spoken Spanish, but I sure as hell can't. Might have to do with the fact I'm simply not used to hearing Spanish though.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    So who disagrees with me on this one? I mean, someone gave me negative rep once again. I'm not like that kosta guy and I don't care about the rep. But what I do care about is the argument. Spanish, simply put, is a poor man's language.

Unless of course you are planning to travel an odd 500 years back in time.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

So who disagrees with me on this one? I mean, someone gave me negative rep once again. I'm not like that kosta guy and I don't care about the rep. But what I do care about is the argument. Spanish, simply put, is a poor man's language.

Unless of course you are planning to travel an odd 500 years back in time.
    Well for someone who doesn't care all that much about it, you sure as hell keep mentioning it a lot.

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
    I have the CDs of Pimsleur's somewhere. Perhaps a torrent upload is in order. :p
    what is Pimsleaur's?? i can speak only limited italian, but enough to get along, my grandparents can only speak it n sometimes i have no fuckn idea what they r talkin about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)