Learning italian (1 Viewer)

Dano

Jul 5, 2006
I’m thinking of taking up a course in September to learn Italian at college. It’s only one night a week and the course can last up to 5 years… You basically do it a year at a time and if you want to learn more, then you progress to the next year.

Although 5 years seems long I think I could reduce it if I study on my days off and visit Italy a couple times a year.

I’d just like to know if anyone else has done anything similar? Also how long it took them to “get good”?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
to study a language is hard, especially if you dont live or ever lived in the country, part of learning a language is through conversation with others and not just through books and tapes

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
If you're serious you have to study every day.
Yes, you do, if only even for a half hour. The real secret of any language is you have to think in that language. If you try to translate from one to the other, you're never going to be able to hold a conversation. Years ago I found tv a great help, especially for picking up "street talk" & normal every day expressions not found in grammar books.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes, you do, if only even for a half hour. The real secret of any language is you have to think in that language. If you try to translate from one to the other, you're never going to be able to hold a conversation. Years ago I found tv a great help, especially for picking up "street talk" & normal every day expressions not found in grammar books.
Yeah. What I found that helps is trying to think in a language all the time. When I wanted to improve my English I kept on thinking about how I'd say things in English. Now I do the same with Italian.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Studying any language for five years is not wise at all. I studied Spanish for 5 years but in a very slow pace and I then went on and studied Italian in a more intensive pace for one year, followed by a trip to Italy for 3 weeks this summer and it's already nearly as good as the Spanish, except for the grammar. I was able to hold conversations in Italian (although not without flaws) at the end of the journey. I recommend that you do the same - languages is something that you need to get into fast. Studying it like you intend to do is a waste of your time.

It helps that Italian by far is the easiest language I've ever tried to learn. Pronunciation and spelling are a piece of cake, and grammar isn't too complicated either.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Yeah. What I found that helps is trying to think in a language all the time. When I wanted to improve my English I kept on thinking about how I'd say things in English. Now I do the same with Italian.
When did you start learning English by the way? I believe that learning languages at an early age is also key, as if you begin later on in your life, you do not have as much time and your learning perceptive branches off greatly.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
When did you start learning English by the way? I believe that learning languages at an early age is also key, as if you begin later on in your life, you do not have as much time and your learning perceptive branches off greatly.
When I was 7 or 8 years old I guess. But what I notice in a lot of countries is that they dub television. In Belgium they use subtitles, which is a lot better IMO because that way you're learning the foreign language, whether you like it or not.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Studying any language for five years is not wise at all. I studied Spanish for 5 years but in a very slow pace and I then went on and studied Italian in a more intensive pace for one year, followed by a trip to Italy for 3 weeks this summer and it's already nearly as good as the Spanish, except for the grammar. I was able to hold conversations in Italian (although not without flaws) at the end of the journey. I recommend that you do the same - languages is something that you need to get into fast. Studying it like you intend to do is a waste of your time.

It helps that Italian by far is the easiest language I've ever tried to learn. Pronunciation and spelling are a piece of cake, and grammar isn't too complicated either.
That's all true, but sounding like an actual Italian is very difficult because of the pace.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I do agree about the younger age advantage; however I can add to that when one has three or more languages under the belt then it is not that of a difficult task to add more. Thing become easier in the way of how to change your thinking, how to adapt to the new grammar and in enriching your vocabulary.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Isn't that the case with all languages, though?
Well.. no. It's very easy to do a German accent. It's very easy to speak English and sound like an American. Even Spanish is possible. But Italians, dear god, they just sing the entire fucking time. And that's tough to learn.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Well.. no. It's very easy to do a German accent. It's very easy to speak English and sound like an American. Even Spanish is possible. But Italians, dear god, they just sing the entire fucking time. And that's tough to learn.
I think it's pretty easy for us, since we have grown up surrounded by languages such as English and German. If someone were to start learning English at the age of 18, they would have trouble with pronouncing words properly. Pronunciation probably isn't a big a problem with Italian, but as you say, the pace might be.

People always tell me Spanish is even easier.
In writing it might be easier (or pretty much the same), but Spanish pronunciation is definitely harder and requires a bit of tongue twisting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)