La Liga 2016/2017 (22 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
How you gonna call Milan and Inter super clubs but not mention teams like Chelsea, City, Arsenal for EPL and Atletio Madrid or even Sevilla for La Liga? What is a super club?
Think he can only mean the history in european competitions, but then he should also list Ajax, Benfica and and and...

Nowadays, Italy has one super club.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Think he can only mean the history in european competitions, but then he should also list Ajax, Benfica and and and...

Yeah, Milan and Inter are not only going through a slump, they also do not have the resources other top teams do. They might be done for a long while.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

plus huge global fanbase.

Who the fuck cheers for Benfica outside of Portugal.

Take Azerbaijan, I've never met any Chelsea fans, never seen anyone in a Chelsea jersey, or Atletico/Ajax, Benfica. But Juve, Milan, Inter -- hell yes, all the time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
They have more than 100mln euros on their account which is enough for like 100 generations to live.

Yet they all love to avoided taxes to save some extra millions just because.

Fucking people.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Never gonna be jailed obviously, right?
It's under two years, that doesn't get you actual time in prison in most European countries. Also, it's Messi, he wouldn't be safe in prison. Basically they'd have to put him in solitary for the duration of the punishment and that is just cruel.

The chance he'll ever see the inside of a prison cell over this judgment is zero. Some form of house arrest seems possible (but still very unlikely).

Most importantly though it tells us that Lionel Messi is a criminal. An actual criminal. And I know it's tax fraud and not murder, but the fact he felt the need to do it might say something about who he is as a person imo.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's under two years, that doesn't get you actual time in prison in most European countries. Also, it's Messi, he wouldn't be safe in prison. Basically they'd have to put him in solitary for the duration of the punishment and that is just cruel.

The chance he'll ever see the inside of a prison cell over this judgment is zero. Some form of house arrest seems possible (but still very unlikely).

Most importantly though it tells us that Lionel Messi is a criminal. An actual criminal. And I know it's tax fraud and not murder, but the fact he felt the need to do it might say something about who he is as a person imo.
He wouldn't rot in some shitty prison, though. Those kind of prisons are more like 5 star hotels and their cells look better than my room. It's where they put celebrities and people with power, I think he'd be safer there than on the streets.

Having said that, he's not going to prison for even 1 day just because he's Messi and he can bribe the president, let alone court.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He wouldn't rot in some shitty prison, though. Those kind of prisons are more like 5 star hotels and their cells look better than my room. It's where they put celebrities and people with power, I think he'd be safer there than on the streets.

Having said that, he's not going to prison for even 1 day just because he's Messi and he can bribe the president, let alone court.

I have no idea about Spain I must admit, but jail is the same for everyone in Belgium.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
So that means Sevilla is the best in UEFA Cup history, Real is by far the best in CL history, and then they have Barcelona who is up there with the best in the CL. Also, you say if it wasn't for their recent success it wouldn't be a discussion; that is true, but you can't just choose to dismiss those last ten years; as a kid I grew up with Serie A generally being known as the best league, but then the past ten years happened, and now its a whole different discussion.

I agree with the last statement by the way, and the example you gave is similar to my Celtic one. But none of us watched any of those leagues in the eighties or seventies, so theres really not much for us to go by.

One thing I don't understand about that chart though, in the late seventies up until the mid eighties, English teams were winning the CL almost every year, and three different clubs won it. How can it not have been the best league back then?
Its what Elvin said, only 2 top clubs in Spain when looking at History - Real and Barca. Italy has 3 clubs of that caliber, England 2 and Germany 1. You cant seriously consider Sevilla in this group, they arent even a serious threat to finish 3rd in most of their history, let alone challenge for the league.

About english clubs winning the CL almost everyone year, that is true but coefficient is calculated for a 5 year span (used to be 10 i think), and results from all UEFA competitions were taken into account. Germans had Bayern winning it 3 times in a row, Gladbach losing a final, HSV both winning and losing a final, Gladbach, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf reaching and winning finals of the other 2 competitions... Probably because even in the years they didnt win, they reached the final or semifinal either, and in the UEFA Cup where more teams from the same country participate had more teams go far. Thats the explanation i can come up with, as i obviously wont go to each season individually and calculate the coefficient for each team.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Its what Elvin said, only 2 top clubs in Spain when looking at History - Real and Barca. Italy has 3 clubs of that caliber, England 2 and Germany 1. You cant seriously consider Sevilla in this group, they arent even a serious threat to finish 3rd in most of their history, let alone challenge for the league.

About english clubs winning the CL almost everyone year, that is true but coefficient is calculated for a 5 year span (used to be 10 i think), and results from all UEFA competitions were taken into account. Germans had Bayern winning it 3 times in a row, Gladbach losing a final, HSV both winning and losing a final, Gladbach, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf reaching and winning finals of the other 2 competitions... Probably because even in the years they didnt win, they reached the final or semifinal either, and in the UEFA Cup where more teams from the same country participate had more teams go far. Thats the explanation i can come up with, as i obviously wont go to each season individually and calculate the coefficient for each team.
It would be nice if you did tbh :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
A major renovation at the Santiago Bernabéu will begin now and will be 12 meters larger than the current stadium. Enlarging the size will be a necessity in order to install the retractable roof that will cover the new stadium; also new commercial areas and a new walkway will be added.

Projected cost is around 400m euro, the target date for completion is 2020.

The venue originally inaugurated in 1947 will maintain its capacity of more than 80,000, although the seating sections may be redesigned. One of the stadium’s most notable features, the four corner access towers, will be covered by the new facade.

The Bernabéu will maintain its name, but it may gain a “surname” from a sponsor; Abu Dhabi investment fund International Petroleum Investment Company is helping finance the renovation. Because of the agreement with the city, Madrid won’t be allowed to increase the total size of the structures already in place, so it will have to rearrange the current constructions to be able to remodel the stadium. Some office spaces will be transferred to the team’s base in Ciudad Real Madrid, in the city’s outskirts.

Officials praised the fact that one of the stadium’s car parks will be transformed into a large public area, and that the new roof will help reduce noise in the neighbourhood.

La Liga rivals Barcelona announced their own remodelling project for the Camp Nou, increasing capacity from 99,354 to 105,000 after construction is fully finished in about five years. The stadium will also have a new roof covering all seating sections.

Structural:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)