Klaas Jan Huntelaar (6 Viewers)

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Martin said:
Another Dutchman to Barcelona? How original :D
It's quite strange that Huntelaar is already being linked to giant clubs and there is talk of a transfer, while he has only played at Ajax for six months. It's not some feeder club, they fight for the title every year and have a good chance of making the latter stages in the Champions League. I would be highly surprised if Huntelaar leaves before 2008.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Mr. Gol said:
It's quite strange that Huntelaar is already being linked to giant clubs and there is talk of a transfer, while he has only played at Ajax for six months. It's not some feeder club, they fight for the title every year and have a good chance of making the latter stages in the Champions League. I would be highly surprised if Huntelaar leaves before 2008.
Get off your horse mate. The United Netherlands was a superpower in the 1600s, and we still haven't finished imploding. If bigger clubs from bigger countries want him; he's gone.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Its also a pity how the Amsterdam Arena was initially built with the intention of bringing in the revenue needed to stop the club from perpetually losing its best talent to the bigger clubs; its also an example of how one big club cannot set the standards for an entire league, and Ajax isn't even near that level anymore.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
The Ajax mngt are fine with being a feeder club, they dont really care wether or not they win trophies as long as they make a profit every year, no-one is forcing them 2 sell their talent, look at PSV nobody is forcing them 2 sell half the team every year even though they do sell a few key figures at the club every year, and look at them in CL they have been playing very well, and have been unstoppable in the league

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Stripper said:
The Ajax mngt are fine with being a feeder club, they dont really care wether or not they win trophies as long as they make a profit every year, no-one is forcing them 2 sell their talent, look at PSV nobody is forcing them 2 sell half the team every year even though they do sell a few key figures at the club every year, and look at them in CL they have been playing very well, and have been unstoppable in the league
"nobody is forcing them to sell their talent"???

I'm sorry, that is utter bullshit

It's a simple question of economics. Bigger countries - bigger leagues - bigger audiences - more money - higher salaries for players.

You forget that clubs don't sell their players per sé: but players leave instead. If Barcelona come for a player at Ajax and offer him a normal salary to Barcelona standards, it means he will have a salary that's about 5 times higher than what he earns in Amsterdam.

Dutch clubs are financially incapable of hanging on to their players so don't tell me the managements 'only want financial gain'

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Desmond said:
Its also a pity how the Amsterdam Arena was initially built with the intention of bringing in the revenue needed to stop the club from perpetually losing its best talent to the bigger clubs; its also an example of how one big club cannot set the standards for an entire league, and Ajax isn't even near that level anymore.
Nah, the Arena was built becuase De Meer was falling apart and the Olympic Stadium was getting equally old. A new stadium had to be built, it was utter necessity.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Erik said:
Get off your horse mate. The United Netherlands was a superpower in the 1600s, and we still haven't finished imploding. If bigger clubs from bigger countries want him; he's gone.
Of course he will leave eventually, but don't you agree that six months is a bit soon to be talking about a new transfer again?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Mr. Gol said:
Of course he will leave eventually, but don't you agree that six months is a bit soon to be talking about a new transfer again?
Well that's probably true...

I always try my best to make people realise we're nothing but just another small European nation nowadays though (especially since the fall of the Iron Curtain). Losing is bad, if Ajax get kicked around by Bayern München it hurts so much I die a little. But nothing's worse than people who keep having super high expectations based on results from the 1970s, and rubbing it in your face imo

OP
Ian
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #30
    Erik said:
    Well that's probably true...

I always try my best to make people realise we're nothing but just another small European nation nowadays though (especially since the fall of the Iron Curtain). Losing is bad, if Ajax get kicked around by Bayern München it hurts so much I die a little. But nothing's worse than people who keep having super high expectations based on results from the 1970s, and rubbing it in your face imo
    All too true. But, even though the Netherlands is economically a small european country like any other, the level of domestic talent it well above most of its contemporaries. The NT has been ousted in the semis of the last three major tourney's that they've gotten into. That surely shows something special. But, on the club scene, nobody will be able to hold onto any good players until the Euroleague is established.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Reports emanating from the Italian press continue to link Internazionale with a summer swoop for Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

The Dutch forward has enjoyed a brilliant campaign with the Amsterdam giants and his 33 goals have not gone unnoticed across Europe.

Inter are likely to reshape their squad in the summer and it is Huntelaar that is reportedly the subject of their observations.

However, while Inter could indeed be keen to do business, Ajax would be loath to lose their chief goalscorer after a disappointing domestic campaign.

It is thought the Dutch outfit would not even consider a sale for anything less than €9-10 million, which could ultimately prohibit any departure.

Inter are also likely to be keen suitors of Ruud van Nistelrooy, if, as expected, the prolific Dutchman leaves Old Trafford, meaning a move for Huntelaar could be put on the back burner.

-Sky Sports

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Ian said:
    All too true. But, even though the Netherlands is economically a small european country like any other, the level of domestic talent it well above most of its contemporaries. The NT has been ousted in the semis of the last three major tourney's that they've gotten into. That surely shows something special. But, on the club scene, nobody will be able to hold onto any good players until the Euroleague is established.
    Actually, I'd like to turn that around. We're the EU's sixth largest economy after Germany, France, the UK, Spain and Italy, which isn't bad (especially not considering the huge gap between the top 6 and the other member states). In any other field though, we're not nearly as good. And this is pretty much the last generation of talent, many analysts have spotted a gap in the youth academies following the generation of Van der Vaart etc. There are worrying times ahead with the Russians aiming to kick us down the UEFA coefficients rankings.

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #33
    Huntelaar left out of final Netherlands squad
    Theo Ruizenaar

ZEIST, May 14 (World Cup) - Holland coach Marco van Basten has challenged Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to prove he was wrong after omitting the freescoring Ajax forward from his squad for the World Cup.

Photography/Empics
    Huntelaar: Failed to make squad

Huntelaar was the leading scorer in the Eredivisie with 33 goals for Ajax and former club Heerenveen in the 2005/06 season but, despite his lack of international experience, his admission was a shock in light of recent remarks by Van Basten that implied that Huntelaar would be making the trip to Germany.

Van Basten was the first to admit that the 22-year-old Huntelaar could consider himself unfortunate.

The coach said: 'He (Huntelaar) has bad luck with us as technical staff. We just select players in this way. I have said this from the start.'

Van Basten was full of praise for Huntelaar's attitude and admitted he might be left with egg on his face if the striker scores goals for the Under-21 side in the European Championships for that age group in Portugal this summer.

'He is a cheerful, funny, balanced guy who did well during the training camp,' said Van Basten. 'But four strikers is too much and that is his bad luck.

'But he can focus now on playing the EC in Portugal with Jong Oranje and he can show us there that we did not do the right thing.'

Huntelaar's omission can be seen as a vote of confidence in Ruud van Nistelrooy who is an outcast with his club side Manchester United.

Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt and PSV Eindhoven's Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink are the other two out-and-out strikers although Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben and Ryan Babel are all attacking players who play in a more withdrawn role.

While Kuyt has proved a prolific scorer for Feyenoord many will be surprised that Van Basten has preferred Vennegoor of Hesselink to Huntelaar. The youngster's excellent form salvaged a poor season for Ajax who in the end earned Holland's second Champions League spot via the play-offs while they also won the domestic cup.

Van Basten also had words of consolation for AZ Alkmaar defender Barry Opdam and Middlesbrough midfielder George Boateng who also did not make the final cut.

'I called Barry to tell him the news,' said Van Basten. 'He was naturally disappointed and we understand that but in our opinion he has not done too well in the last months and (Ajax defender) John Heitinga was doing better and better in that same period.

'George [Boateng] played a good season but Wesley Sneijder made a good impression on us and we decided to select him instead.'

The selection of Jan Kromkamp after a less than impressive season with Valencia and then Liverpool also raised eyebrows.

Van Basten said: 'Although Jan played less games than we hoped for - we want to have two players for all positions and he did very well at Oranje when he played.'

Some notable names are missing from the list although in the cases of Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf and Roy Makaay the omissions can not really be considered to be surprises.

Van Basten had wanted to take Feyenoord's Salomon Kalou to Germany but a court ruled that the Ivory Coast-born player did not qualify.

Holland have been drawn in Group C - considered by some the competition's 'Group of Death' - with Argentina, Serbia and Montenegro and the Ivory Coast.

Had the court ruled in favour of Kalou he would have likely faced his brother Bonaventure who is expected to be a starter for the Ivory Coast at the World Cup.

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar).

Defenders: Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), John Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar).

Midfielders: Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Philip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Rafael van der Vaart (SV Hamburg).

Strikers: Dirk Kuijt (Feyenoord), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV Eindhoven), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Ryan Babel (Ajax Amsterdam).
    :disagree:

AHKA

May 9, 2004
    A real pitty that he is not going because he was in a great scoring streak the last period and he way better then Vennegoor allthough i can understand why Vennegoor came allong.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
    It's typically Van Basten, although it's a strange way to think you can't blame him for selecting a striker that is only for when the team is 1-0 down in the final 10 minutes...sort of like Zalayeta.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I have no idea whatsover what Van Basten is like as a coach , can you guys feel me in as to what you think of him as a manager? Is he more Michels than Van Gaal? Is he as good or better than his Milan peers Ancelotti, Rijkard,Gullitt , Koeman and Donadoni?Is he negative or positive? As he taken the team forward from 2004 ec?

Sep 28, 2002
    cant comment much, but i admired his guts to drop star players for inexperienced but on-form youngsters. at least that's the impression i got. the few games i saw after the euros, i didnt know half of the team.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Jeeks said:
    Dropping Seedorf from the NT was his best achievment.
    finally someone who gets it :heart:

denco said:
    I have no idea whatsover what Van Basten is like as a coach , can you guys feel me in as to what you think of him as a manager? Is he more Michels than Van Gaal? Is he as good or better than his Milan peers Ancelotti, Rijkard,Gullitt , Koeman and Donadoni?Is he negative or positive? As he taken the team forward from 2004 ec?
    Van Basten is Van Basten - there is no comparing him.

His philosophy regarding the national team in a few basic rules:
    1) Always play 4-3-3, allowing attacking, dominant play including wingers
    2) Don't adapt the formation to the type of players you have. If the best wingers are missing, take the second best wingers. No matter if they are significantly less good
    3) Younger talents on fire are to be selected over older players with downhill form at any time. Experience means very little, talent is vastly more important

And:

4) Have a minimum of two players per position at all times, even if that means dropping Huntelaar

On a more personal note: I believe he has made definite progress since Advocaat bombed us all to hell with his negative play (we can't defend, don't try it). However, his promise to play in a dominant style at all times has collapsed. In most games (especially against the Czechs), his tactics didn't always work out and he is one of the luckiest coaches I have ever seen. Then again; the winning coach is always right I guess. He's attacking-minded, sticks to his philosophy at all times and values a harmonious team spirit so much he doesn't mind leaving Seedorf and Davids at home (Davids partly because we'd get way too many red cards since he's not nearly as fast anymore as he used to be).

But I'll take Van Basten. He's the right man at the right place. If anyone; it will be him leading us to victories. He's just unlucky we're in a rough patch right now. If it had been Van Basten steering us during France98, I think we would have won it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)