Keep Pippo out !!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
back on topic :

incubo rossonero, italy vs mexico- had it not been for del piero we're dead meat, the game against wales both pippo and dp did well.

now back to the original topic, to not give pippo a start is a very shameful thing to do :p

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Sally...italy Mexico...

Allow me to RETORT....in that game even had Del Piero NOT SCORED...we would have gone ahead...because Equador come through against Croatia..in the end that goal was much ado about nothing..nice while it lasted the whole finger pointed thing. But Equador came through...and we were too with or without Alex's goal.

Keeping Pippo out if bitterness because of the way he is delivering at Milan..yes he is not as versatile and rare as DP but DP does not deliver. SORRY..has not delivered for Italy. If you are going to count on goals here and there then Dino Baggio should be a legend for Italy!

Strikers are either HOT or they are not...and either conform or don't...Casiraghi never did....he was out. Striker are much more easy to replace but leaving Pippo at home raises serious questions about selection. And I'm not saying DP should stay home just not start. Totti has been a greater factor for us and I don't agree with them playing together. i feel that Alex has more grit and determination coming off the bench with something to prove rather than some lacklustre performances when he starts. Let him earn his position like everyone else.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Sally...italy Mexico...

Allow me to RETORT....in that game even had Del Piero NOT SCORED...we would have gone ahead...because Equador come through against Croatia..in the end that goal was much ado about nothing..nice while it lasted the whole finger pointed thing. But Equador came through...and we were too with or without Alex's goal.

Keeping Pippo out if bitterness because of the way he is delivering at Milan..yes he is not as versatile and rare as DP but DP does not deliver. SORRY..has not delivered for Italy. If you are going to count on goals here and there then Dino Baggio should be a legend for Italy!

Strikers are either HOT or they are not...and either conform or don't...Casiraghi never did....he was out. Striker are much more easy to replace but leaving Pippo at home raises serious questions about selection. And I'm not saying DP should stay home just not start. Totti has been a greater factor for us and I don't agree with them playing together. i feel that Alex has more grit and determination coming off the bench with something to prove rather than some lacklustre performances when he starts. Let him earn his position like everyone else.
:groan:

gray

Apr 22, 2003

That doesn't take away from the fact that he performed when it mattered. It's like the same situation with Korea in the world cup. We needed to at least draw with Portugal to guarantee qualification. Poland was playing the USA, and if Portugal and USA both won, Korea wouldn't have made it through.

Poland did Korea a huge favour by smashing the USA, but in the end, it didn't matter because Korea beat Portugal anyway. That hardly takes much away from the victory, because the team performed when they needed to.

And I'm not saying DP should stay home just not start. Totti has been a greater factor for us and I don't agree with them playing together. i feel that Alex has more grit and determination coming off the bench with something to prove rather than some lacklustre performances when he starts. Let him earn his position like everyone else.
That sounds a bit different from what u said before, u were basically saying DP should be shot, buried and never allowed to put on a blue shirt again.

I do agree with you though, DP can seem a bit more inspired when he comes into the match some way into it... maybe he catches the rhythm of the game a bit better or something, i dunno...

Aug 1, 2003
but incubo, the last few games dp did start for italy, he did score or contribute in some way, surely on current form he could be given the chance to start?

unlike vieri (sorry to those who loves vieri), i love the guy, good striker, but HE is one person who's been scoreless with the azzurri, he should be dropped to the bench for now. and the totti behind dp-inzaghi formation worked well.

wait, thats the formation they used against wales right? :confused:

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Honestly....the games that DP choked in 98, 2000 and 2002 are the big games..nevermind a goal here and a goal there...we are not talking about DiBiagio here ... he wants to start, they market him as the next Baggio...prove it. 98 Baggio almost made us pass...DP was gloriously choking in that tournament as he was in the final vs. France when he took a fairy shot which could have sealed the game. Look if your going to be the crux of our offence you better prove you can be and not with random goals...many players would have been relegated to the BENCH at best after doing what he did in 98 and 2000 and even 2002 to some extent. Baggio was a player...Baggio came in with the hype and showed us why we should "BELIEVE THE HYPE"...in 94....he carried the offense of that team. Thats the way they have been marketing Del Piero....he has never even come close to that..

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
To mention Baggio and Del Piero in the same sentence when it comes to International competition is a major insult to Roberto Baggio.

Baggio WAS the entire attack for Italy in the 94 WC. I know, I was there and watched him live:p , but anyway, he shouldn't have even been playing in the finals with his injured hamstring, but he did it because Sacchi had no one else in attack.

Which brings me to my next question? Can anyone tell me what on earth Sacchi was thinking by allowing Baresi to take a penalty kick against Brazil?

I still can't understand that.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
Sally...italy Mexico...

except from the part that Totti and Dp cant play together and the part where DP only the best to start from the bench, i mostly agree with you ;)

Despite the sight of Inzaghi running and poke that awkyward goals annoys the hell out of me, i belives in giving people the prize when the do their job. And noone can say that Inzaghi didnt do his job..:down:

The same way i think Del PIero should be give then chance if he do his job.. i will truly pissed if DP bang all the goals but Totti still got the starting place insteadt.... this time Inzaghi really earn his place in the squad.. the bitter truth is,he bang in all the important goals that brought Italia to Portugal.

damn.. if only that stupid totti didnt go injured before that Wales match we wouldnt be in this mess.. :down: :irritate:

well.. let just hope.. maybe the day before the official selection Pippo's shaving cream bottle get extra slippery or maybe Pippo really wanna try to be a GK in a 3 aside match...;P

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
dp failed at 98, even though he shouldnt have even been on the field with the injury he suffered in the CL final against Real Madrid. euro2000 was dissapointing in the final as he came off the bench and missed two opportunities, but at the same time, he never had faith in him from the start from Zoff and when he was given a go, ie. Sweden i think it was, he played good and scored a great goal, and gainst Holland, he was pushed to the right wing where he played very good also. Why was he benched for the final??

The 2002 world cup was a joke! he was a major reason why italy qualified, along with Inzaghi. The likes of Totti and Vieri decided to fake injuries when it came to qualifiers etc...and del piero and inzaghi were the ones scoring goals for us.

Then comes the world cup itself, del piero comes on and performs well and scores. he then starts against Korea and is the best player on the field and Traps' the wanker takes him off and replaces him with Gattuso was it??

i admit, in Del Piero's younger days for italy in the major tournaments, he didnt play well, but the world cup qualifiers, the world cup itself and after the world cup, he has been very good for italy and he deserves his place in the team playing along with totti and Vieri.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
I just felt that since 98 Del Piero was hailed by Juve's spinmachine (sorry but its true!) as the next Baggio....by the way USA I too was at WC94..Italy Bulgaria Giants Stadium! And yes he has not come close to living to his hype. I think for once the Juve PR machine failed and should have given him time to grow. He had too much pressure put on him in 98 and ever since then in typical DP fashion couldn't deliver in the big game. He I'll admit it as a hard to the bone Milanista...when Del Piero plays...HE PLAYS...that goal against Real will be branded in my brain forever. But unfortunately he has failed to deliver big for Italy. Look if he had the expectations of a Signori in 94 i.e. Not the REAL DEAL but just might surprise you...fine. However in 98 he was hailed as the next Baggio ... I think that title has haunted him ever since. If your saying DP deserves a spot...you can't possibly say that Inzaghi does not. Can you?!

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
In 2000, Del Piero had just returned from a serious injury. His father had passed away that same year; it was an extremely tough time for him.

Del Piero can contribute even if he doesn't score. Inzaghi is useless unless he gets a goal or two... he does absolutely nothing as far as creating opportunities goes.

When Del Piero played on the left with Totti as the play maker, it worked really well.

Lets not forget one more thing - Del Piero is deadly from set pieces. His freekicks are way better than Totti's or anyone else in the Italian team.

With that in mind its safe to say that Del Piero is a much bigger asset to Italy than Inzaghi. Cassano, Miccoli...hell even Corradi can replace Inzaghi. Theres no one who can replace Del Piero.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
" Del Piero can contribute even if he doesn't score. Inzaghi is useless unless he gets a goal or two... he does absolutely nothing as far as creating opportunities goes. "

What does Vieri do? And I have to say its a crock because defenders are on THEIR toes with Pippo knowing like a SNAKE he will bite on their every mistake.
His job is to score and NOT to create opportunity...Del Piero's job is to create opportunity or score and he has come up short one too many times. INZAGHI SCORES ONE OR TWO GOALS: well...ISN"T THAT HIS JOB???????????? we don't want Pippo Vieri or DiVaio to create opportunities we want them to SCORE?? What am I missing here??????

With that in mind its safe to say that Del Piero is a much bigger asset to Italy than Inzaghi. Cassano, Miccoli...hell even Corradi can replace Inzaghi. Theres no one who can replace Del Piero.

Why not ..he has not done anything in 98, 2000 or 2002...what is there to replace?? Its not about WHO can replace Inzaghi because strikers are the most replaceable players in football. THE POINT IS WHO DO YOU BRING? Your saying Inzaghi is replaceable...ok whats your point? Do you bring him?
he scores...he plays well with Totti and Vieri and has proven he can sit out for 6 MONTHS and come back and score for you like he never left. Your saying keep him home??
By the way..Miccoli over PIPPO? We are talking about strikers....

They questioned bringing Baggio after his 94 performance..what is their to say about DP then???? And his NEVER PERFORMANCE

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
With the current form of the players in question, it's fairly easy to say that the person who should be sitting on the bench right now is Vieri, as he has had a fairly lackluster campaign in the Euro 2004 qualifiers. Pippo nearly singelhandedly saved Italy's collective asses in the qualifying stages, and it would be a gross injustice to leave himoff of the team. I feel that the only quality that is keeping Vieri on this team right now is his size and strength, because when Trap does go to a 4-2-3-1 formation, you need someone of Vieri's size to fight through the man-marking that a lone striker is going to face.

The dilemna that Italy faces is that you can't have all 4 (Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Vieri) on the same pitch at one time. Like it or not, Totti is the only irreplaceable piece of that puzzle. He has to be on the field at all time, the other could operate in a rotation system a la Juve. Now, whether the other 3 could put their egos aside to allow this system to work, is another story. Trap has a stable of horses this year, unlike any I've seen on an Italian squad in quite some time. It's up to him to utlized them correctly. The fact that Maldini is not onthis squad is a shame though. I realize that Cannavaro and obviously Nesta are fine central defenders, but there has to be a prominent role for Paolo somewhere. I rememember the glory days when they used to use Maldini in the sweeper role, and no one could get by him. Incubo, I caught the Nigeria and Spain matches in WC 94 in foxboro, and Baggio was something else. The goal against Nigeria from the top of the box that seemed like it took an eternity to cross the line is forever in my memory. And, by the way, you called me USA. What, did you forget my name already :)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
Sally...italy Mexico...

this is really strange..i actually agree with the most part, except about Pippo. At his current form he hasnt done anything great, and there's better quality out-and-out strikers in Italy than him, that you have to agree with me.

Man utd

Oct 10, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++

this is really strange..i actually agree with the most part, except about Pippo. At his current form he hasnt done anything great, and there's better quality out-and-out strikers in Italy than him, that you have to agree with me.
at his current form he hasn't done anything great?!:eek: he's the top goalscorer in azzori's last two qualifiers :stuckup:

Aug 1, 2003
incubo rossonero, dp might have been disappointing last few years for the azzurrri but we're talking bout the current moment, he has done nothing wrong, he should be given the chance to start.

deej, im gonna kill you. :p :D cmon, pippo was practically the reason why italy didnt get their butt slashed in the qualifiers... and if HE doesn't get to start because he practically saved italy's arse, then I can fairly say the world is coming to an end ;)

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Honestly, the hatred and resentment towards Pippo is too much to form an unbias view: and I say that with all due respect in the same way that Milanisti view Edgar Davids. Here is something most people are probably not aware of: Pippo has as many goals (1-2 difference in Pippo's favor) than Vieri in the NT...granted Vieri scored in the big games...Pippo did not play one whole game in 2002 ... other players I can think of played game after game and only have minutes played to show for it!
I would have loved to see some of you during Pippo's comeback game when he scored every goal and made an assist. "Oh he accidently ran into the ball." ;) Come on read some of your posts..they are becoming comical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)