Juventus vs. Newcastle on 7-29-07 (7 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There are a lot of ridiculous posts in this thread, starting off with those making it seem like this is our first Serie A match of the season. It's not. It's our first friendly against a side that has been preparing for longer than us, I think by two to three weeks. People here just have to understand we have a lot of kinks to work out and fitness to improve, plus the cohesion of players on the pitch together. If this was in late August for example I would be worried, but we still have about a month to go.

Tonykart, did you even watch the match? Iaquinta as a playmaker? Or do you not even understand the basics of football tactics? The lineup wasn't poor whatsoever... it's just experimenting during a friendly. Chiellini was probably benched because our beloved management will sell him instead of cooling off his temper, which is a shame. Zebina has always played right-back for us and Grygera's stated preferred position is centerback. Tiago and Almiron are our two best central midfielders and Ranieri wanted to try them out in the straight four midfield, so what's the problem? It may not have enough strength, however, and that's why I prefer playing a 4-3-3 and inserting Zanetti or Nocerino in there to provide that. But again, it's just our first real friendly of the season. People need to give it time, at least until later in August... that would be more intelligent than going beserk over an early friendly.

Now Iaquinta does suck, anybody can tell you that. Hopefully he can improve but in my opinion he'll be a useless transfer.

Apr 15, 2006
There are a lot of ridiculous posts in this thread, starting off with those making it seem like this is our first Serie A match of the season. It's not. It's our first friendly against a side that has been preparing for longer than us, I think by two to three weeks. People here just have to understand we have a lot of kinks to work out and fitness to improve, plus the cohesion of players on the pitch together. If this was in late August for example I would be worried, but we still have about a month to go.

Tonykart, did you even watch the match? Iaquinta as a playmaker? Or do you not even understand the basics of football tactics? The lineup wasn't poor whatsoever... it's just experimenting during a friendly. Chiellini was probably benched because our beloved management will sell him instead of cooling off his temper, which is a shame. Zebina has always played right-back for us and Grygera's stated preferred position is centerback. Tiago and Almiron are our two best central midfielders and Ranieri wanted to try them out in the straight four midfield, so what's the problem? It may not have enough strength, however, and that's why I prefer playing a 4-3-3 and inserting Zanetti or Nocerino in there to provide that. But again, it's just our first real friendly of the season. People need to give it time, at least until later in August... that would be more intelligent than going beserk over an early friendly.

Now Iaquinta does suck, anybody can tell you that. Hopefully he can improve but in my opinion he'll be a useless transfer.
people simply dont understand that!!! :disagree: wel said...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well I have done a play by play elsewhere so I am not gonna go into too much detail. I was not impressed at all with ranieri as the whole exercise did not make sense to me at all. Yes newcastle are fitter, but we have played 3 or so matches before this and they have played just 2 matches more. Do not forget also that a lot of their players have played probably the same amount as we have so the excuse that they are so much fitter does not wash that much. They were youngsters for crying out loud in the second half. It was not a tournament, it was not a cup winning or glamour friendly, it was just a friendly, and Ranieri saw it fit to play the same team for 70 minutes, why? Like I said elsewhere I think its disrespectful of Juventus not to have played Dp. He got a standing ovation 9 years ago in a friendly and it would have been nice for him to have played as well as Boumsong. But these clowns just do what they want. Barcelona played all their stars bar Messi against both Dundee United and Hearts but we just do things that continually bring disrepute to us. Newcastle have not moaned about it yet, but to me its bad form. If Dp was injured, he should not have travelled and most certainly not have been kitted up and warming up. Imagine if you are a Dp fan living in England and you buy a ticket only to see him not play a single minute.
The one thing I have noticed about Almiron is though he played well, he does favour the long ball game. Defence needs a lot of work

Apr 15, 2006
Well I have done a play by play elsewhere so I am not gonna go into too much detail. I was not impressed at all with ranieri as the whole exercise did not make sense to me at all. Yes newcastle are fitter, but we have played 3 or so matches before this and they have played just 2 matches more. Do not forget also that a lot of their players have played probably the same amount as we have so the excuse that they are so much fitter does not wash that much. They were youngsters for crying out loud in the second half. It was not a tournament, it was not a cup winning or glamour friendly, it was just a friendly, and Ranieri saw it fit to play the same team for 70 minutes, why? Like I said elsewhere I think its disrespectful of Juventus not to have played Dp. He got a standing ovation 9 years ago in a friendly and it would have been nice for him to have played as well as Boumsong. But these clowns just do what they want. Barcelona played all their stars bar Messi against both Dundee United and Hearts but we just do things that continually bring disrepute to us. Newcastle have not moaned about it yet, but to me its bad form. If Dp was injured, he should not have travelled and most certainly not have been kitted up and warming up. Imagine if you are a Dp fan living in England and you buy a ticket only to see him not play a single minute.
The one thing I have noticed about Almiron is though he played well, he does favour the long ball game. Defence needs a lot of work
almost everyone who didnt play today will start on wednesday! so relax!

Sep 14, 2003
Where is that Newcastle fan that was here earlier in the week? I would like to know his opinion of the game to get a different perspective.

p0rcupine_tree

love the art in yourself
Feb 27, 2005
i couldnt watch the match but i got somequestions...
-was andrade ok?
-from previous posts i couldnt see anything nice for tiago...wasnt he worth for sining? though i beleive he was a good player in lyon.
-were we good overall as a team precticing together for less than a month...?i mean r we on the right path?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Now you do bring up good points with not inserting Del Piero into the match, as that would be the intelligent thing to do considering there are probably a bunch of people who would love to be able to say they saw Del Piero play. Blanc stated himself he wanted to make Juventus into more of a world brand, but we don't even field our most notable player in our preseason tours. Afterall, he's our captain and most recoginzed player. Boumsong should have been inserted as well because it's obvious he wanted to play, but Ranieri didn't want to play him I suppose.

But if Ranieri did start Boumsong and he didn't have a good match, people here would be blasting him and Ranieri to high heaven, so perhaps Claudio didn't want to log in here and see people insulting him.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
May 25, 2004
The good
Almiron
Marchionni

The bad
Tiago
Iaquinta

The ugly
The defence

Oh well it was just a friendly, and just the first one at that. Midfield play looked good. We weren't very sharp upfront, but I think we have potential. And seriously, give the new guys like Molinaro and Iaquinta a chance..
excuse dominic but what marchionni did to be labeled as good in this friendly expect running :tdown:

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
i dont see why everyone is slating iaquinta, he made some good runs and had a few chances, yeah he was selfish and he wasted good opportunities but hes no where near match charp at the moment.

Tiago was also a disapointment but thats not to say he shouldnt start for us, hes such a class player when he finds his feet and he'll be one of our best players in the coming season.

Molinaro was by far the worst player on the pitch today, its my first time seeing him so i'll give him another chance but today he looked an amature, i dont think there is any question that chiellini should not be sold and played at LB.

gotta mention almiron, his passing was spot on today, i would have liked to see him play on the ground more but with the lack of movement (again this will come with sharpness) he was forced to do long balls, which were always accurate, a good start from him.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
dude.... FFS it's a friendly match!!! every coach wants to try out things when he join a new club and certainly wud try players in positions where he thought they'd play well!!! it's all about testing!!! testing players and tactics and all that stuff!!!

dont get so worked up... these games dont effectively mean anything significant! let the league start and THEN start your bashing! till then, take it easy!
Yes, correct! We are still 4 weeks away from the start of the new season & short of match fitness to add to the fact that the new team is still getting to know each other. Secondly, Italian teams have a whole history of not taking these friendlies as seriously as most of the sides they play against for a variety of valid reasons. Time to start worrying should things go wrong when we play the games that matter!

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
so this is what they call panic attack :D

seriously guys cool down, their is just plenty of time and come on we could have easly won this if we converted the balls that we got, after rethinking the match the only thing we really missed is match fitness and the team have to play as a unit as from what i saw there was plenty of spaces between the lines, the team needs to work as a unit. and by the way Newcastle players mad some really tough tackles on our players, eventually our players cooled down so that they don't miss the start of the season. overall we did ok

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
EPL starts un 12. August. Serie A starts on 26. August. If i were Big Sam i would be worried about Toons performance today, because they were not playing well, our defence just gave them too much chances. Ranieri and Juve have much more time then Sam and Castle. From what i saw, Almiron and Neddy were great, Andrade and Chiellini were fine. Palladino had some good moments. The guys whose performance shocked me were Iaquinta and Molinaro, also heard that Zebina in the start of the game made some big mistakes. I didn`t see the first 40 minutes.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
i wouldnt blame zebina for the peno because it wasnt even a peno, u can tell the way the player fell he was looking for it, but since the ref is a known newcastle fan i didnt expect alot in terms of fairness, not especially as we had more of a penalty appeal

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
i wouldnt blame zebina for the peno because it wasnt even a peno, u can tell the way the player fell he was looking for it, but since the ref is a known newcastle fan i didnt expect alot in terms of fairness, not especially as we had more of a penalty appeal
yes and without the penalty, who knows the game could have ended 1:1 or juve might have even won.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)