Juve - Man Utd preview (2 Viewers)

Aug 20, 2002
I am worried that we will not beat Depor we need DP back and if we cut out the mistakes then we have a good chance, how do depor play away from home? I know they have lost to Manu and Basel what about in the league? the good point is they have to play to win the game so we should get some chances as if they lose then they are out same goes for us if we lose we are out.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sh@d0w

Dec 7, 2002
they got their up n downs... i havnt got the time to watch many games from la liga this season.

4th place, their +- statistic isnt 2 well though... +8 they have.
comparing to real madrid that have +25, real sociedad that have +13 or valencia that have +23.

but still they do well...

10 last games in la liga:

Deportivo la Coruna Malaga 1-0

Valencia Deportivo la Coruna 0-1

Deportivo la Coruna Celta Vigo 3-0

Atletico Madrid Deportivo la Coruna 3-1

Deportivo la Coruna Athletic Bilbao 2-1

Espanyol Deportivo la Coruna 3-1

Real Betis Deportivo La Coruna 0-2

Deportivo La Coruna Osasuna 1-1

Valladolid Deportivo La Coruna 0-1

Deportivo La Coruna Alaves 6-0

as i mentioned they dont force in many goals (exept the last *lol*) but theyve done well.

OP
JuveBoy

JuveBoy

Feb 4, 2003
  • Thread Starter #123
    I am really in deep shame, the prof. footballplayers making such misstakessssss. Zambrotta, Tudor, Conte ... shame on you

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Ronaldinhoisgod ] ++
    I am worried that we will not beat Depor we need DP back and if we cut out the mistakes then we have a good chance, how do depor play away from home? I know they have lost to Manu and Basel what about in the league? the good point is they have to play to win the game so we should get some chances as if they lose then they are out same goes for us if we lose we are out.
    Don't get me wrong, but I think it would be better if we play without DP. Firstly, he won't be fit enough and not as sharp as he is usually. Secondly, he would be marked heavily (always is, especially in CL games) and wouldn't be of much use apart from the free-kicks and stuff :angel:

We just need healthy/fit, concentrated players. As far as I know Juve, they learned a lesson yesterday and will hear a few things from Lippi also, so I don't think they will show such a "performance" once again.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    :fero::fero::fero:

Ok, Man U played well, as Mate pointed out, but no way they should beat us 3-0 at our home. On paper, we definetely had a superior team, but what annoys me is that we lost it in desire, and mentality. Some of the players on the night, should be ashamed of themselves to be wearing such a prestigious shirt. What Juve makes Juve is the famous "Spirito Juve" and I saw nothing of that against Man U. They always won the loose ball, they always won the 50-50 challenges, they were a lot quicker than us in their transition from defence to attack, and were a lot more focused and determined than our team.
    Conte, Trezegeut, Montero were the main culprit for lack of desire and determination. Our midfield did not pressurize the opposition's midfelder or attacker. They had far too much space and time, this has nothing to do with Man U playing good football. It is simply lack of workrate on our part. Our attackers tried to play too intricately, and consequently lost the ball far too easily. Great defending from Man U? Hardly so. There were at times, I was literally shouting, "Play it simple, you clown!". The main purpose of attack is to score goals not going past players, or flicks, or acrobatic kicks. Trez, though, a great goal scorer should have couple of goals. Had he scored that header, we could and would have won the game. Instead he hits the bar from 5-yards out. Also, he showed no determination to close down the defenders, or try to shake them off. Maybe he was starved of quality service, but in all honesty, his movement was so predictable that it was pathetic. Trez was more of following the ball, rather than finding the free space and time.
    And Lippi, cannot get away from the criticism. Why on earth, did he play 4-2-3-1 formation. Di Vaio is a striker not a midfielder, full stop. He would of made a lot of attacking threat with his space had he lead the line. Asking Trez to lead the line is just not possible at the top level, because, like I criticized Nisterlooy, Trez just don't have the pace to penetrate the opposition defence if they keep line well up the field. Also passing, and technique is hardly the best quality Di Vaio can offer. And also does Lippi not realize that playing 4-2-3-1 leaves the midfield severely weaken and just not possible at the top level. If you have Viera-Deschamp, coupled with the fantasy of Zidane, Djorkaeff, Pires, then it migh work, but not with Di Vaio- Camoranesi-Nedved, front line backed up by Conte and Davids. Firstly, Conte and Davids don't have the passing quality to keep possession in the middle of the park. Secondly, We don't have legitimate playmaker, a fantasista, who can make our passing and attacking move unpredictable. Our passing route was so predicatable it was unreal. The problem with that formation was that Man U won so many uncontested or contested ball in the middle of the park, that it gave them ample of opportunity to break forward, and at the same time, break our rythm. Lippi should have put Nedved or Camoranesi or even both to more orthodox midfield position and play orthodox front two.
    Montero, well, he was simply irritating. Giving the ball away, lacking pace, not so good on the air(to be fair, he never was good in the air anyway), and not so commanding as he used to be in organizing the defence. We just did not had the shape in the defence. This was partly due to our formation which gave too much room to cover for Zambrotta and Thruam. They did ok, but the burden was just simply too much. Zambrotta, looked much more comfortable going forward then defending, which makes me wonder why on earth Pessetto did not start from the beginning. Also the performance in defence makes me wonder, why on earth we let Nest go to Milan. To be honest, our defence did well most of the season. However, the problem is clear that we struggle against quality opposition. Lazio, Man U, and Depor all burned us alive during periods of game, and we struggle not against build up team like Milan but counter attacking team like Lazio and Man U (on the night). This is not just the problem of lack of pace in the back line, but the squad in general. And I wonder the players that we have, have the desire to win trophies and games. Maybe, we need to shake the team a bit this year, as players like Maresca, Miccoli look like they are hungry for success and recognition.
    Maybe, I am wrong, but they have to show that from now on, and starting from the game against Inter. Show desire, willingness to work as a team, and determination to win the game. That is all I ask for, and the team lacked that against Man U. The good thing is, we should still make the qualification, and as we often proved in the past, the qualification stage means nothing and the competetion begins from the knock-out stages. Maybe, this 3-0 defeat could be the catalyst for greater things, and it is up to players to make it happen because despite this defeat we are very talented him which can go all the way.

Jun

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    no point denying it, we sucked!

we deserved exactly what we got..nothing!
    Mmmm yes but I'm sure that playing like yesterday will be enought to win over Deportivo... remember that we lost also cause of Veron and Giggs and Depor do not have player like them... the result was also fault of singol players initiative.
    But as I said we can't deny that Man Utd dominated all the match..

++ [ originally posted by Ronaldinhoisgod ] ++
    Ronaldinho man did you see his goal for PSG this weekend
    A truly amazing goal :extatic: Ronaldinho is the star of the future, no dubt about it!!! But I don't think he will arrive to Juve... it will be Inter or Man Utd... or well who knows... but those are the rumors.

OP
    JuveBoy

JuveBoy

Feb 4, 2003
  • Thread Starter #127
    We were tooooo rushing the ball forward, like English football, which made MU to lean back.
    Juve should controled the game, the game is not only the first 20 min! We had 90 min, so we should play we more patient. I don't know why we wanted to bring the ball as fast as possible to the front.
    Ok. MU killed our midfield but we had to try to controle the game. Why should Zambrotta starts in the lines-up. Pessotto could have been a go alternative!
    Anyway we should forget Champions league this year, may be next time when we have Chivu or other young players.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
    Mmmm yes but I'm sure that playing like yesterday will be enought to win over Deportivo...
    nopers, I have to disagree with this. IF we play like we did yesterday, i.e. give them three guilt edged chances to score, we will lose again. Add this to the fact that they will play their first team, and come to win, unlike MAn U, who rested players, and would have been happy with a 0-0!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Oh my goodness what an embarassment of a clubside

Everyone was shouting how a flu ridden club played so well at OT and if the shoe was on the other foot will Man u do anything, well i guess we have our answer don't we now

We played well at old trafforrd did we? How many times was Bathez tested in Ot, holding onto the ball and doing nothing with it is hardly playing well, the flu bug just made it easier to accept

Now yesterday most of the whole team was there and they played like they always play, no pattern, no style, just trying to pulverise teams and got their just desserts

We beat Como and Parma, play crap, get every referring decisions and ppl who do not see the game come on here and shout we are the best in the world

You try and tell them the bitter truth asnd you are said to be a pessimist or traitior

Fact we lack QUALITY

Buffon did okay actually made 3 gr8 saves from Butt, and 2 from solksjaer

Thguram did well not special but well wish he could cross the ball immediately instead of sticking his butt out firrst only to hit the first person with his cross

Ferrara terrible slow and just had a bd night

Montero He has no biz starting a game with Ferrara as though they provide experience they also add no pace to the side but mistakes galore, he was dreadful

Zambrotta from being "the best right winger", he is now incredibly a "great left full back", when you play against non entities like Atalanta, Reginna and the lot and play well then u are a world beater, but his real test was yesterday and he was pathetic, takes too long to cross and of cos he cannot defend but all this is medicine after death. He was not touched by Veron as he slipped so u can alll get those blinkers out of your eyes

Camo notthing special whatsover, did silly flicks which never worked instead of sticking to basics but at least he crossed the ball well

Davids thinks he is a creative midfielder, put in his place by Butt and they say he is far better than Keane(ha) as least Keane does the simple things very well and does not overrate his abilities, caused the winning goal at Ot and was subdued here

Conte was just awful nothing more to be said

Di Vaio played out of position and so was not seen

Trez tries now to be what he aint, cute, trying to lob Keane instead of blasting the ball and hitting the post when Shearer would have been raising that right hand celebrating another goal

Nedved well they say he is the heart and soul of the team, thank God thats not true, as we can plainly see no space he is ordinary for an entire 90 mins, at least our injured captain woulod have found something to delight you for at least 5 mins of the half man marked or not and by Phil Neville too
    Lippi pathetic in his formation and even worse in his subs, whats Tudor doing in m/f, Salas to do what exactly and whats the point in playing a striker who hardly moves to be your lone forward

I have been saying it forever anyways we need more quality than these lot, we were not unlucky we plain sucked

Even Gary Neville trying to chip from 30 yards and Fergie was in a position to lose the game as he was more interested in sundays final and we still managed to put in such a display, its not our worst mind you, it is the way we always play but in serieA and against smaller teams we get away with it by hook or by crook

So its a nonsense to say we played badly or whatever as if we usually paly very well

I see some are blaming luck, or off day, no its the powers that be who keep buying trash and persisting with players way past their best and playing players who are so rigid its hard for them to adapt to new positions, I mean Veron, Solksjaer and Keane excelled where they are not used to while the player only loved by gals(ggod one Moggi, try buying quality and leave the comedy to ppl who are funny) showed with his passing what we do not have in our entire squad

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    More like an exaggerater :D

I don't think it was the lack of the luck, nor did we had a bad day, yes we sucked and I have no problems admiting it, but to say that we didn't show quality in other games it's just ... :mute:

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
    First off, congrats to Man U for scoring on those chances. Looks like Giggs was saving himself for Juve!! They played superb tactically and did not allow us anything at all.

I am still fuming from the match.:fero::fero::fero: I recorded it and turned it off after the third ridiculous goal. It really ruined my day, possibly the rest of the week too. A defeat like that is really hard to swallow. Especially vs Manchester, a team i hate with a passion. This game is exactly what we needed. Our heads have gotten too big in the last few weeks. Man U really showed our weaknesses and I think we need to make some serious changes in defense and midfield for next season.

Now, I have been saying this for quite some time, and last night proves that Zambrotta is NOT Juve material. I mean, we played him on the right, lost his spot to Camo. Now, Lippi tries to play him at left back and he tries to dribble Veron in our own box!!!! What the f#@! was he thinking?? Why didn't he just kick the ball away? Then, he just stares at the ref and doesn't even try to do anything. That made me sick:yuck:I replayed that moment many times and I was disgusted. He would then make runs up the left side and when Man U countered, he was no where to be seen on defense. Not one decent cross came from his runs up the left side. If he was unable to produce decent crosses from his favorite right side position, what makes anyone think he can do it from the left???????:confused: All in all, I don't see what he brings to the team. No pace, no crossing, no defending vs quality opposition. I know a lot of people in this forum don't agree with me on this, but I'm not judging Zambrotta solely on last nights match, but his entire stay with Juve.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    More like an exaggerater :D

I don't think it was the lack of the luck, nor did we had a bad day, yes we sucked and I have no problems admiting it, but to say that we didn't show quality in other games it's just ... :mute:
    oh yes its an exaggeration is it not?why because we created chances in your view, Please pray tell where and how did we creat chances, the thing is with Tom, myself and Paul , our standards are a bit higher than most of the ppl on here when it comes to how we want our teams to play, most are happy with a win, where the performance is masked by the result. I want you to name me a game this season save for Milan and Inter where we actually played good football in the league. Please also name the quality players we have in our squad. I am not talking about ppl who will also give you 100%, I am talking someone who will create or score golas out of nothing. Whats even more annoying is someone blaming flu epidermic for loss and that its taken its toll

Go and watch other teams play and see what quality is all about and oh yeah like or hate him we missed our captain so badly

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    We didn't have a team yesterday. All players tried to make solo runs (all failed, might I add) and it actually was outstanding when a pass reached a teammate!

Manchester United played very mature, like a team has to in Europe nowadays. They sat back, waited for the counter opportunities and grabbed them with both hands by scoring goals.

We were beaten as if it was our first European match EVER and as if we played with a bunch of unexperienced youngsters.

And to think they get paid millions for this...

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    most are happy with a win, where the performance is masked by the result.
    I agree 100%. I can't remember the last time we played well as a team. I think it was against Milan. That was 3 mos ago, unacceptable by Juve's standards!!!!

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Denco,

I do agree with you on the assesment of the game, but I cannot agree more with the quality of the team.
    We have played against some quality opposition like Milan and Inter, which are just as good if not better than Man U in my opinion, and outperformed them in my opinion. The game was such a freak of nature that I cannot imagine it happening again.
    Firstly, the score line was flattering. Secondly, we played well below our capacity.
    I still believe we have the quality to go all the way to the championship. As you correctly pointed out, we may like quality in certain parts of the field, but the fact is that players like Buffon, Thuram, Davids, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved, Camoranesi are world class players. Also, is it not Bayer Leverkeusen went to the final of the champions league despite loosing 4-1 and 4-0? Also had we not went to the final of this competetion before without qualifying first in the group? The fact is one match does not decide how good you are, because, every team have good day and bad day.
    The major difference between the team was not that of quality but desire and mentality. And that is what disappoints me because I also prided in Juve being a mentally strong side.
    Also, I am very disappointed with Lippi, because, in hind sight, the game was lost on tactical battle. The matter of fact is you don't play two midfielder against 4 and you don't attack on a straight line as our trio of Di Vaio, Camoranesi, Nedved did.
    If Lippi sticks to tried and trusted 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2, and Alex comes back with the bang, and some players wakes up and start to show desire and heart then we do still have outside chance of winning the championship. Maybe, I think this 3-0 defeat might do us more good than harm if we can get out of the group. Because, it is totally different ball game in the latter stages.
    Just to remind you that Man U lost both home and away in the group stages against Depor and yet managed to beat them in the knock out stages. All is not lost.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Hello all! Long time no see,and boy does it feel good to be back! Anyways,since I have finally been able to connect to the internet,I will now give you my opinion on what happened in the Delle Alpi last night.

First of all,our defence was piss-poor,and all 3 of Man Utd's goals came from foolish uncharacteristic errors.

In the 1st half we played pretty okay and actually managed to create a satisfactory amount of chances. In the 2nd half however,everything was different. We struggled to get shots off,and when we did,most,if not all,were wayward. United on the other hand,played in a mature manner and did what they needed to do (defend their lead).

True,quite a few of our players were returning from injuries and Del Piero was absent,but using this as an excuse for conceding 3 goals which never should have been is just lame.

Hats off to Man Utd.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    Juventus Shares Have Biggest Drop in 4 1/2 Months on Defeat

Milan, Feb. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Shares in Juventus Football Club SpA, the soccer club controlled by Italy's Agnelli family, posted their biggest decline in more than four months after last night's loss to Manchester United in a Champions League match.

The stock dropped 12 cents, or 6.5 percent, to 1.68 euros at 9:55 a.m. in Milan, giving the Turin, Italy-based club a market value of 202.6 million euros ($218 million). It fell as much as 8.4 percent to 1.64 euros, its biggest intraday decline since Oct. 9.

Juventus lost 3-0 to Manchester United, hurting its chances of passing to the next round of Europe's top club competition.

Participation in Europe's most prestigious club tournament can boost a team's revenue by adding to ticket and merchandising sales and generating more income from broadcasting rights.

Juventus has shed 50 percent of its value in the past year. That compares with a 24 percent decline of Italy's all-share Mibtel Index in the period. Juventus is the worst performer today among a 37-member Bloomberg European Football Club Index, which has lost 39 percent in the past year.

Source: Bloomberg.co.uk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)