Juve keep hold of Buffon (4 Viewers)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Couple of things...

1. I can bring dozens of instances when players' names are misspelled on this forum. I didn't expect that "mistakes" such as "Saar" instead of "Sar" would be followed with sarcastic comments like "You;d think of a bunch of Juventini could spell a former player's name right... ". Not all the people have phenomenal memory, so I consider such errors absolutely normal.

2. We are all speaking English here. And even though some of us write from US or the UK, for most English is a second language. Given that, writing of names is different in different languages. Liguistic differences should be appreciated.

3. Issue of "supporting" particular players has always been "in the air", yet I am glad people find it ethical enough not to discuss it. Again, there are people writing on the forum from different countries and different backgrounds. The fact that some support certain players and perhaps (even though very very seldom) would value a player more than a team itself does not make them any different from the other.

Back to Buffon issue... some argue that he's been worse this year. But that's applicable to all of the players, right? Legro, Thuram, Nedved, Trezeguet... they are all worse in comparison to last year.

Next year, if the problems are solved he'll be all shining again :)

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir ] ++
Couple of things...

1. I can bring dozens of instances when players' names are misspelled on this forum. I didn't expect that "mistakes" such as "Saar" instead of "Sar" would be followed with sarcastic comments like "You;d think of a bunch of Juventini could spell a former player's name right... ". Not all the people have phenomenal memory, so I consider such errors absolutely normal.
2. We are all speaking English here. And even though some of us write from US or the UK, for most English is a second language. Given that, writing of names is different in different languages. Liguistic differences should be appreciated.

3. Issue of "supporting" particular players has always been "in the air", yet I am glad people find it ethical enough not to discuss it. Again, there are people writing on the forum from different countries and different backgrounds. The fact that some support certain players and perhaps (even though very very seldom) would value a player more than a team itself does not make them any different from the other.

Back to Buffon issue... some argue that he's been worse this year. But that's applicable to all of the players, right? Legro, Thuram, Nedved, Trezeguet... they are all worse in comparison to last year.

Next year, if the problems are solved he'll be all shining again :)
i agree here.
and i had difficulties in spelling few players names,even from juventus.
of caurse now i know them all but i don't critisize ppl who don't.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
I AM doing that! ;)

i know what you mean.and i ask from everyone else do the same but it's pointless.

that's why my sig might help a little.
it's exactelly how i feel

Aug 1, 2003
sometimes people are too harsh, no? ;)

Anyway, Buffon didn't play as well as last season, but he does save our butts on most occassions. His faltering form shall be blamed on the whole friggin team's performance.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
1. I can bring dozens of instances when players' names are misspelled on this forum. I didn't expect that "mistakes" such as "Saar" instead of "Sar" would be followed with sarcastic comments like "You;d think of a bunch of Juventini could spell a former player's name right... ". Not all the people have phenomenal memory, so I consider such errors absolutely normal
I consider it more a case of giving a monkeys rather than having a good memory. If you can't remember how to spell van der sar you have to wonder how you even managed to turn your computer on

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
sometimes people are too harsh, no? ;)

Anyway, Buffon didn't play as well as last season, but he does save our butts on most occassions. His faltering form shall be blamed on the whole friggin team's performance.
that his performance it;s not the last year's performance-ok,we all know it.

but it's not to blame him when our defence it's not our last year's defence either :rolleyes:

OP
The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #49
    it wasn't buffon's fault that we conceeded a lot of goals this season...

it's not just at the keeper to save the goals, it's at the defence too...and unfortunately our defence sucked this year.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    of caurse.

everyone i know does.

all the commentators do-all the goalkeeprs do.

even though i am a little worried about if he is going to win the best golie award this year again

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

I consider it more a case of giving a monkeys rather than having a good memory. If you can't remember how to spell van der sar you have to wonder how you even managed to turn your computer on
    And I consider it linguistic differences. In my language in words like Sar, Sun, Pal "a" is pronounced long. When I see games I see names written in a script other than latin. So to me Van Der Sar is Van Der Saar.

Furthermore, what is this? You are blaming me for writing a name of a player differently than how you're writing it? Who has given you that right?

Jul 12, 2002
    Couple of things...

Look mate, the reason I said it was because it happens all the time. It's not just a mistake, a lot of people really think that his name is spelled with two a's. I'm not trying to pick on people for gramatical or spelling errors, I'm trying to point out ignorance and rectify it.

Please don't lecture about sensitivity towards linguistic differences. English is my third language, and I can still spell the player's names right. Besides, the people involved all have a good grasp of english, and can spell all the other player's name correctly. Basically, if you're gonna trash a player, then at least have the respect to spell his name right.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

Look mate, the reason I said it was because it happens all the time. It's not just a mistake, a lot of people really think that his name is spelled with two a's. I'm not trying to pick on people for gramatical or spelling errors, I'm trying to point out ignorance and rectify it.

Please don't lecture about sensitivity towards linguistic differences. English is my third language, and I can still spell the player's names right. Besides, the people involved all have a good grasp of english, and can spell all the other player's name correctly. Basically, if you're gonna trash a player, then at least have the respect to spell his name right.
    It's good that you're not picking on people for gramatical & spelling errors, because I was getting the feeling that you are.

My "lecture" about linguistic differences is important! As I have already pointed out, pronounciation does differ, and scripts in which we (I) saw players' names 3, 4 years ago also differ. If English is your third language, and Turkish/Azeri is either your first or second, you would realize that.

Also, when a person- no matter who he is, misspels a name of a footballer- I would expect any positive reaction/feedback, because it is a correction, and most of us here are to learn/refresh our memory. But truely, bro, I don't expect any sarcastic comments, as if I was born yesterday.

Anyways, I think this conversation is not worth it. If I offended you in any way, I do apologize.

OP
    The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #56
    ++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
    even though i am a little worried about if he is going to win the best golie award this year again

i hope le will win the best g-keeper award again this year.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    i don't know actually.

one stupid commentator one said about dida:maybe the best goalkeeper this year.

and he put me in serious thoughts.

but,buffon is still the best...isn't he?? :down:

btw-i was also wondering who might win ballon d'or for next year

OP
    The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #58
    dida?

no way!!!

buffon is 100% better than dida..

ballon d'or...hmmmm :rolleyes:

i hope enzo (it sound impossible but i hope so), but i think zidane or henry will win it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)