John Elkann (6 Viewers)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
:sergio:

That's the guy who wanted a new coach huh? Sure, bring in a guy for 4 months. The players will really be motivated playing for a puppet. :wallbang:

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Club Focus - Juventus - Is John Elkann the real reason for Juventus' failure?

By Mina Rzouki
“I would return quickly if Andrea Agnelli were at the helm, also to repay the kindness of the Juventus fans whose affection I have never lacked in recent years.” Those were the words of Juve’s ex-Managing Director, Luciano Moggi, as he explained his desire to return to the Turin giants as soon as his five year ban has ended.

Gigi Moncalvo, a journalist and a politician, recently published a book in which lies a chapter entitled 'Moggi and Giraudo - a danger to John’. Moncalvo believes that Juve’s failure in properly defending their team with regards to the Calciopoli was down to the fact that John Elkann wanted both Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo out due to their intentions of bringing Andrea Agnelli in. With Andrea as President of Juventus, John’s ambition of reaching the pinnacle of power would be hard to realize due to the competition he would face from his cousin. A sentiment shared by Moggi, who in October, telephoned a radio show and accused his former club of accepting unfair punishments and poorly defending their team in hopes of banishing Andrea.

Umberto was of course Juve’s President and Gianni’s brother who created a very efficient and tight management that allowed the team to enjoy great success and afforded his successor an easier task at presiding over the legendary club. Moncalvo’s chapter documents how Giraudo prepared for the arrival of Andrea to Juve, Umberto’s son, as homage to the great Umberto and as a gesture of gratitude. In addition to his popularity, Andrea was perfect for the role as President as he not only carried the Agnelli name, a name which John refused out of respect to his father Alain Elkann, but an Agnelli who graduated from the prestigious Oxford University, had gained valuable work experience, and alongside his mother, Umberto’s second wife Allegra, held Juventus within his heart.

His cousin John held great ambitions of success and power and knew all too well how a football team’s success can translate into success for the individual presiding over it. You need only look at how well Silvio Berlusconi’s political career benefitted from Milan’s utter dominance in the world of football. With Andrea at the helm of the Bianconeri and backed by two of the most intelligent football managers around, Juve was destined for even greater success and most fans would have attributed it all to Umberto’s son despite the fact that the triad would have been responsible. Aware of the competition and of the possible power Andrea would earn from Juve’s success and the opportunities that would present themselves to him, John needed Andrea to walk away and what better way to do it than to get rid of his staunchest backers, Moggi and Giraudo. And so Calciopoli was allowed to break down Juventus and force Andrea to walk away in order to allow only one man to continue the Agnelli name, free of any rivalry.

However, John’s plan backfired and Juve risks falling into an abyss considering the past two years’ results. He may well have secured his position at the top but the fans still cry out for Andrea and Moggi repeatedly speaks out and with Moncalvo’s book out for the whole world to read, it may be time to change course. Elkann was unable to continue Juve’s winning dynasty and may now be forced to turn to his cousin in hopes of resurrecting this club as indicated when Andrea accompanied his younger cousin in a trip to Vinovo in December to greet the team and Coach. Have the tables turned?

Whether you believe this conspiracy theory or not, it certainly allows for a new vantage point and perhaps may explain why Juve, a team that was deemed unbreakable, well connected and infinitely powerful failed to properly defend its honour. Juve fans will always have you believe that they were innocent and that Moggipoli was all done in an effort to reduce the Old Lady to utter failure. Perhaps these theories will forever remain mere theories or perhaps John truly is the power starved, ruthlessly ambitious businessman who forced his beloved team into paying the price for his success as the head of a family torn apart by family feuds.

Back to the real world and the next game will provide the Bianconeri with the ideal and rather ironic stage to truly crash and burn when faced with their ex Coach, Claudio Ranieri and his on-form Roma team. No-one could have predicted the current league standings earlier in the campaign when Juve thrashed the Romans thanks by in large to the Brazilian contingent but alas seven defeats later and Juve are on the brink of a total meltdown. To those wondering whether fans regret asking for Ranieri’s dismissal, here’s a quote from an ardent supporter: “Better to die in the arms of a Bianconero then survive in the hands of a Romanista.”
I've calmed down since posting this in the Farsopoli thread, as the first time I read it, I was infuriated.

The Elkanns have turned this team into a joke, just a quick recap-

- did NOTHING to help the club during Calciopoli (remember what our lawyer said: "we deserve Serie C")

- hired Coboli Gigli, a man with NO previous football experience

- hired BLANK, again, NO experience

- gave SUCKO Moggi's old job...again NO EXPERIENCE

- the countless bad signings (do we need to even go over them ??)

- anyone remember the hard time DP and Trez were given when it came to re-signing contracts ?? They forget that these champions were at this club while they were involved in other businesses that had nothing to do with Juve or football for that matter

- the hiring of RUINeri, which seems like a great move compared to what we went through recently. This club DESERVES better than what weve been given

- giving Ferrara, a man with no coaching experience, the reins to this team

Unless we get the triade back, with Andrea Agnelli, we will never see the old Juventus again....unless of course some rich oil baron/shiek comes along and splashes big money into players and management. I wont hold my breath.....

Sep 14, 2003
... we will never see the old Juventus again

I recall, during Calciopoli, a few Juventini saying that di Montezemolo and Elkann wanted to hurt the club to make it easier to sell off. I scoffed at their theories at the time. While I still don't believe what they were saying, I would never of imagined the club being in this position.

Simply, the level of incompetence displayed in all departments within the club, is staggering. It is difficult is see us ever being a power again in Italy, let alone the World/Europe.

Jul 2, 2006
I recall, during Calciopoli, a few Juventini saying that di Montezemolo and Elkann wanted to hurt the club to make it easier to sell off. I scoffed at their theories at the time. While I still don't believe what they were saying, I would never of imagined the club being in this position.
it's partly true. They wanted to hurt the club to make it easier to control it. They could never remove Triade from their positions so they needed an ''excuse''. People calling that excuse calciopoli. No room for dignity and shame in Elkann mentality. why sell club when you have biggest billboard to marketing your junk?

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Honestly i don't believe this whole conspiracy theory about the Elkanns wanting to hurt the club. If you're going to do it, why would you spend around 135 million euros in 3 seasons to buy new players ?! Why waste all that money in the first place ?!

What is happening to Juve IMO is simple, the owners hired the "wrong" people to run this club and in the past 2 seasons they (the directors) managed to get away with soo many wrong decisions but they can't run away for ever.

I've always thought to myself what makes Juve so succesfull in the past, we're not the richest club in the world, we don't have big number of fans turning out to our games every week in the stadium just like the other european big clubs, we didn't have one coach that was succesfull with us for years and years (just like United and arsenal) we change coaches almost every 3 years. So what made this Juve so succesfull in the past ?

The management, we had one of the smartest management in europe. Thats what made us unique, and when that is gone we just became an average club. Right now we have below average directors who have absalutely no clue about the game so it shows.

Jul 2, 2006
Honestly i don't believe this whole conspiracy theory about the Elkanns wanting to hurt the club. If you're going to do it, why would you spend around 135 million euros in 3 seasons to buy new players ?! Why waste all that money in the first place ?!

What is happening to Juve IMO is simple, the owners hired the "wrong" people to run this club and in the past 2 seasons they (the directors) managed to get away with soo many wrong decisions but they can't run away for ever.

I've always thought to myself what makes Juve so succesfull in the past, we're not the richest club in the world, we don't have big number of fans turning out to our games every week in the stadium just like the other european big clubs, we didn't have one coach that was succesfull with us for years and years (just like United and arsenal) we change coaches almost every 3 years. So what made this Juve so succesfull in the past ?

The management, we had one of the smartest management in europe. Thats what made us unique, and when that is gone we just became an average club. Right now we have below average directors who have absalutely no clue about the game so it shows.
They didn't spent a cent of their own. 135 million was club's money. Damage has been done, Triade have gone. There won't be any additional damage but they won't help the club, they won't invest money, we will eventually turn into a mid table club. What happened to Lazio in near past is very possible for us now.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
I've calmed down since posting this in the Farsopoli thread, as the first time I read it, I was infuriated.

The Elkanns have turned this team into a joke, just a quick recap-

- did NOTHING to help the club during Calciopoli (remember what our lawyer said: "we deserve Serie C")

- hired Coboli Gigli, a man with NO previous football experience

- hired BLANK, again, NO experience

- gave SUCKO Moggi's old job...again NO EXPERIENCE

- the countless bad signings (do we need to even go over them ??)

- anyone remember the hard time DP and Trez were given when it came to re-signing contracts ?? They forget that these champions were at this club while they were involved in other businesses that had nothing to do with Juve or football for that matter

- the hiring of RUINeri, which seems like a great move compared to what we went through recently. This club DESERVES better than what weve been given

- giving Ferrara, a man with no coaching experience, the reins to this team

Unless we get the triade back, with Andrea Agnelli, we will never see the old Juventus again....unless of course some rich oil baron/shiek comes along and splashes big money into players and management. I wont hold my breath.....
I would say their mistake was firing Deschamps, rather than hiring Ranieri. Claudio had a solid record, and more importantly, he had a history of building good teams for managers to come, which was something we needed. But firing Didier was the real mistake, IMO.

Dec 31, 2008
This club definitely needs a new start. I haven't found a reason to beleive in the Elkann's to provide that new basement. I seriously wouldnt mind if the club is being taken over by someone else even if Fiat has been together with Juve for a long time. We need a new ownership, new mangement with vision and the awareness that they are dealing with one of the greatest clubs in football history

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
This club definitely needs a new start. I haven't found a reason to beleive in the Elkann's to provide that new basement. I seriously wouldnt mind if the club is being taken over by someone else even if Fiat has been together with Juve for a long time. We need a new ownership, new mangement with vision and the awareness that they are dealing with one of the greatest clubs in football history
:tup:

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005

Well said. Elkann is a business man and he views Juve as such. As long as Blanc and company keep the club sustainable he is happy. Not until we fail to make CL will these imbeciles be fired.

They didn't spent a cent of their own. 135 million was club's money. Damage has been done, Triade have gone. There won't be any additional damage but they won't help the club, they won't invest money, we will eventually turn into a mid table club. What happened to Lazio in near past is very possible for us now.
Remember that capital increase of + £70m we got when we came out of serie b? Than you have Moggi who is always commenting how he survived throughout the years without any handouts from the owners. Regardless, money is not an issue. It's how our moronic management spend it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I would say their mistake was firing Deschamps, rather than hiring Ranieri. Claudio had a solid record, and more importantly, he had a history of building good teams for managers to come, which was something we needed. But firing Didier was the real mistake, IMO.
They didn't fire Deschamps. Deschamps knew right away that his bosses were inept clowns and that he didn't want to be associated with the crime of flushing the club down the toilet. I respect him more with each passing season for leaving.

John ElCLOWN it is...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
They didn't fire Deschamps. Deschamps knew right away that his bosses were inept clowns and that he didn't want to be associated with the crime of flushing the club down the toilet. I respect him more with each passing season for leaving.

John ElCLOWN it is...
Indeed. The management should be removed even just for that as far as I'm concerned. What a shame that was.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007

John ElCLOWN it is...
That's where our fall truly started, not during Calciopoli. When you even look at our "youngsters": Giovinco, Marchisio, De Ceglie, all three of them were introduced by Didier into the first team. Since he left, we didn't have a single player promoted from the primavera, nor had we bought any player that would matter, bar Sissoko (who, if I remember correctly, was linked to us since Deschamps' days). I still think that once Didier was gone, hiring Ranieri was the sensible idea, but let's face it, he didn't live up to his reputation of a team builder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)