[ITA] Serie A 2014/2015 (15 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
What makes football so different from other sports?

Getting robbed surely makes people grab it's hand.
Replays, as far as I know, only really exist in sports where pauses are extremely commonplace and it very easy to revoke the wrong decision.

Both of these conditions are not given at all with football.

The only time a replay would perhaps make sense is with a red card, where the player could be allowed back in, but first of all deciding wether a foul is worthy of a red card is not clear case, and for me subjectively it would also significantly worsen the feeling of the game.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
:agree:

I remember reading as a kid Donald Duck comic where the robot referee was introduced, he was right every time and it killed the game for fans. People had nothing to discuss about. 'Referee? Perfect. Score? Fair.'
If there was a perfect robot referee I'd be in favor of them.

But currently there is no such thing and all alternatives are horrible.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Replays, as far as I know, only really exist in sports where pauses are extremely commonplace and it very easy to revoke the wrong decision.

Both of these conditions are not given at all with football.

The only time a replay would perhaps make sense is with a red card, where the player could be allowed back in, but first of all deciding wether a foul is worthy of a red card is not clear case, and for me subjectively it would also significantly worsen the feeling of the game.
When Roma players spend two minutes complaining there isn't time to check the replay?

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
you mean it will be the end of juventuz?
Can be. After all we are here to laugh at fake penalties and to comment 'this Ref sucks' during the matchday.

Holy shit, someone used this comic reference in some scientific paper :lol:

Competitive Balance in Team Sports:The Scoring Context, Referees, and Overtime
http://www2.econ.uu.nl/users/l.groot/JITE Scoring.pdf

In the Donald Duck paperback Football Fever, Gyro Gearlose invents an infallible
referee. This robot-referee, with caterpillar tracks, can decide meticulously whether
a ball has passed the line or not, whether it was offside or not, and so on. It can even
see what is going on behind its back, thanks to hidden cameras on its body. When
players or coaches disagree, the robot-referee sends the images to a giant screen,
so that everyone can see that it was right, as always. Uncle Scrooge McDuck sells
the robot for big money to the football association and Donald is rewarded with
a season ticket; after all, it was his idea and he did teach the robot all the rules!
However, after some weeks, fan attendance drops, a commentator is fired and even
Donald prefers to stay at home instead of going to the Sunday afternoon match.
Pressure mounts and so, before the season comes to an end, the robot-referee is
abolished and everything returns to normal; that is, the fans, players, commentators,
and coaches return to their quarrelling over the referee’s controversial decisions.
The grain of truth in the story is that a perfect, infallible referee is not necessarily an
improvement for soccer. My claim is that due to the notoriously erratic performance
of referees in soccer, CB is higher than it otherwise would be, provided errors are
made in an impartial way. Intuitively, a referee making random errors produces
noise that disturbs the outcome of the match towards a more balanced outcome than
would be the case where the outcome is only determined by relative team qualities.
If referees tend to be “homers” – deciding on average in favour of the team playing
at home – then the effect of the fallible referee is likewise the home advantage
effect, which is also conducive to CB. Only if referees are on balance favouring the
stronger teams might the introduction of a fifth official with a monitor improve the
level of CB.8

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
When Roma players spend two minutes complaining there isn't time to check the replay?
So how do we decide which decisions should be checked and which shouldn't?

Also, for exampe with offsides, once the call is made the play is stopped. If the decision turns out to be wrong where do you restart the play?

I'm all in favor of technological aid once there aren't any downsides to it, hence my support for goal-line technology, and I could see an automatic offside system based on computers tracking the movements of the players and the ball in few years, but replays have so many negative aspects to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)