[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (7 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Parisi signs for Genoa Thursday 14 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italian international full-back Alessandro Parisi has completed his move from Messina to Genoa.

The left-back, likened by some to Real Madrid’s Roberto Carlos because of his offensive nature, has signed a three-year contract after arriving in a co-ownership deal.

There were doubts that the move would take place after Messina lost out in the chase to sign Pippo Pancaro from Milan.

He was being lined-up to replace Parisi, who was also linked with a move to Roma and Juventus, until he left for Fiorentina yesterday.

"I’ve enjoyed two great seasons in Milan," said Pancaro after he rescinded his contract at the San Siro.

"I have had the good fortune to work with some unique players. I would like to thank everyone at the club.

"We have gone through it all, highs and lows, wins and defeats. I would specifically like to thank the fans who have always encouraged me."

Meanwhile, Genoa have also completed the capture of Diego De Ascentis and Massimo Paci.

De Ascentis was a free agent after his contract at Torino expired, while the Triestina stopper has arrived in a co-ownership deal.

source: channel4.com

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Makinwa joins Palermo Wednesday 13 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palermo have completed the signing of Atalanta hotshot Stephen Makinwa.

The 21-year-old becomes the third young striker to join Palermo in the close season as the club ready themselves for a UEFA Cup campaign.

The Nigerian has signed on for five seasons and will be officially unveiled as a Palermo player at a Press conference on Thurday.

Palermo's other new strikers are 23-year-old former Brescia star Andrea Caracciolo and Azzurrini starlet Simone Pepe, 21, who returns from a year on loan at Piacenza.

There now appears to be a surplus of talented strikers at the club, as the Rosaneri already have experienced Italy international Luca Toni on their books as well as promising youngster Pietro Balistieri.

Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini has already intimated that Toni will stay at the club unless his proposed sale to Fiorentina goes through before Thursday.

It looks unlikely Balistieri will attract much interest, so either Caracciolo or Pepe are certain to be sent out on loan.

Pepe seems favourite to pack his bags again, especially as Palermo seem unwilling to release £5.5m signing Caracciolo.

It is strongly tipped that Pepe will move in the opposite way to Makinwa, possibly even as part of the deal.

In Bergamo he will form a formidable attack trio with former Inter striker Nicola Ventola and Dino Fava, who is set to join the club imminently.

Udinese and Atalanta are close to agreeing the move which will see Rolando Bianchi, who spent last season at Cagliari, move in the opposite direction.

source: channel4.com

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Tomasson off to Benfica Thursday 14 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan are making room for Alberto Gilardino after reportedly agreeing to sell Jon Dahl Tomasson to Benfica.

Portuguese officials flew into Italy on Wednesday where they allegedly agreed a £3m fee for the Danish international.

Although there is no official confirmation of the move, Benfica do seem to be in pole position for the international.

Tomasson has been linked with an exit given the arrival of Christian Vieri and the imminent capture of Gilardino from Parma.

Tomasson, via his agent Martin Schotts, had indicated that he wanted to remain in Milan but there is seemingly no more space for him at the San Siro.

The former Newcastle flop was also a target for Sampdoria and Fiorentina but they were unwilling to match the Rossoneri’s valuation.

Tomasson, who arrived on a free from Feyenoord in 2002, will return from holiday this evening before moving to Portugal.

Milan are expected to complete the capture of Gilardino on Monday, giving boss Carlo Ancelotti some splendid attacking options next term.

The Rossoneri will have Gilardino, Vieri, Andriy Shevchenko and Pippo Inzaghi all on their roster.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Esposito could join Roma
Thursday 14 July, 2005

Cagliari have admitted they are ready to listen to offers for Italian international winger Mauro Esposito.

The midfielder has been linked with a move to Roma and the Sardinian outfit are prepared to do business.

"Roma have players who we like, such as Damiano Ferronetti and Alberto Aquilani," said director general Nicola Salerno.

"Now we have to wait and see whether they are ready to let them go. We are not asking them to be sold outright, a loan deal would be good enough for us."

Esposito, 26, has also opened the door to a move to the Stadio Olimpico. "I know that Roma have made contact," he told Nuova Spazio Radio.

"I’m happy in Cagliari but I would be prepared to leave them for a big club and Roma are an excellent one," he added.

"They have great players there and a fantastic set of supporters. I have also set up a good relationship with Daniele De Rossi and Francesco Totti during my Italy call-ups.

"I can also say that Monaco were very interested in me, but I want to stay in Italy because being in Serie A would increase my chances of playing at the World Cup next year."

However, any proposed move will only take place if Roma successfully win their appeal against their transfer embargo.

channel4.com

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Vieri: Inter didn’t want me

Christian Vieri has explained the reasons behind his move to Milan by insisting Inter were to blame for his Nerazzurri exit.

The Italian international shocked many when he signed for the Rossoneri, just days after terminating his contract with Internazionale.

"About 20 days ago, Inter phoned my agent asking for us to rescind the contract," Vieri noted as Milan met up for pre-season training today.

"I thought that I would stay at Inter for one more year (to the end of his contract) and then look for a new club.

"I don’t know why they took that decision even if these things happen in football. I hadn’t asked for any kind of first team guarantee or a contract extension."

Vieri was associated with moves to Juventus and Spain but insists it was easy for him to stay in the northern Italian city.

"I couldn’t stay at a club who didn’t want me anymore," continued the 32-year-old.

"Seeing as I was a free agent and there was no clause blocking a Milan move, I picked the strongest team.

"I instantly agreed to the Milan switch once they came in for me. It took just two hours to sort things out."

Whispers suggest that Inter let Vieri go due to a breakdown in his relationship with boss and former Lazio teammate Roberto Mancini.

"I have no problems with Mancini," insisted the Azzurri star. "Why wasn’t I at the Coppa Italia Final? I was injured and asked for extra holiday time."

Vieri has signed a two-year deal and is already answering questions about a possible extension.

"I’m just thinking about doing as well as possible for now," he replied. "I hope to now finally win something.

"I admit that it is strange to be here after six years at Inter, but I hope to show good things at this club. I’m also still thinking about the national side and the World Cup."

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Maldini hails Vieri capture

Paolo Maldini has today started his 21st season as a professional with Milan and has welcomed the arrival of Christian Vieri.

"It is a pleasure to start work again after a lengthy break. I have missed the atmosphere at Milanello, my teammates and training," the 37-year-old told Milan Channel.

"There is a lot of work to do after this period, one in which I have completely rested my body and my mind."

Vieri is the club’s biggest signing so far this summer following his shock exit from city rivals Inter.

"Milan have always been very alert on the market and on what the side requires for the future," he continued.

"Vieri? It will be tough for him after spending six years at Inter. It will be a big change, even for a player like Vieri.

"But he is a strong target man and a left-footed striker, someone who we have been missing in the past."

Despite Milan’s sublime squad, they failed to lift any silverware last term when they came second in Serie A and runners-up in the Champions’ League.

"We will look to live up to our potential as always," said Maldini when asked about next term’s targets.

"We have rarely disappointed even if we had hoped to end last season differently. However, this club is always destined to be a protagonist."

Meanwhile, Vieri spent his first day at Milanello today and instantly impressed the club’s medical staff.

"He was very enthusiastic and willing," said physical trainer Daniele Tognaccini after a routine Milan Lab test. "He left a very good impression."

Some members of the squad have yet to meet up with their teammates though. Marcos Cafu is dealing with family commitments, while Dida and Kaka have a few more days rest after their Confederations’ Cup activity.

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Berlusconi slams RAI Wednesday

The son of Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has slammed the decision by Italian State broadcaster RAI to spend £40m a season on Champions’ League coverage.

Pier Silvio Berlusconi is Vice-president of the RAI’s television rival Mediaset, the commercial TV broadcaster owned by Milan patron and Italy Prime Minister Silvio.

And the junior Berlusconi hit out at his rivals, accusing them of damaging the future of televised football.

Pier Silvo told la Repubblica: “The public television broadcaster should not make such foolish deals. Doing so also damages us.

“Mediaset currently pay £20.7m a season, and offered £24.1m a season - and that was pushing the deal to the very edge of its economics limits.

“RAI have remained in the Ice Age, television wise. Canale 5 (a Mediaset channel) will still remain Italy’s premier TV channel.''

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Pancaro Salutes Milan

The Italian defender joined Fiorentina on a free transfer.
Giuseppe Pancaro is now a Viola player, but before joining the Tuscan side he wanted to salute the Rossoneri for the wonderful past two years.

"I spent two fantastic seasons with the Rossoneri. During this period I had the luck to work with a group of players who are unique in this world. They are an example of seriousness, professionalism, correctness andstrength."

Pancaro also wanted to thank everyone at Milan.

"I wish to thank Adriano Galliani and all of Milan, Carlo Ancelotti with the technical, athletic, and medical staff and my team mates for all we lived together: joys and disappointments, wins and defeats. A particular salute for the Milan fans, who have always sustained and encouraged me."

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Scene: Every summer, somewhere in north London, for as long as anyone cares to remember.

Big foreign club: [Strides in with a swagger] We want to sign Patrick Vieira.
Arsenal: Eh, no, thanks all the same.
Patrick Vieira: I love Arsenal. [Eye a-twinkling] I never want to leave.
Big foreign club: [Waves grotesque amount of money around] We want to sign Patrick Vieira.
Arsenal: [Eyes lingering on the cash] No. We are not in the business of selling our best players.
Patrick Vieira: Come on now, let's not be too hasty. [Exit stage right]
Big foreign club: [Hops, skips and jumps into a press conference] We are going to sign Patrick Vieira. A deal is imminent.
Arsenal:
[Light coughing]
Arsenal:
[Tumbleweed enters stage left, blows across stage, exits stage right]
Patrick Vieira: Ahem, Arsenal, this is where you're supposed to shout a lusty Hollywood 'no', lock me in a room and offer me the riches of Cibola and a brand new Seat Ibiza.
Arsenal:
Patrick Vieira: Remember? You do that, I go and have a think about it, decide I still want to move, and then change my mind at the 11th hour when it turns out I can't squeeze as much out of them as I can out of you. It's the whole climax of the show. Think of the fans!
Arsenal:
Big foreign club suit, quite possibly Juventus general director Luciano Moggi: We are on the verge of signing him. [Counting out £12m in crisp new notes] The deal should be completed this afternoon.
Arsenal:
Patrick Vieira: Wha-? But? Eh?
Arsenal: [To themselves] Hmm, Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra might be worth a look, even though he's just signed a new contract. A snip at £10m, too.
Patrick Vieira: [As gleeful Juventus suits shepherd him towards door] This isn't how it's supposed to be! [Ponders a trademark drop-to-the-floor-like-a-wounded-gazelle for effect] £82,000-a-week for the next five years, you say? I'll get my coat.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
David Marcelo Pizarro is officially an Inter player after the club confirmed his transfer from Udinese.

The Inter website has this evening announced his arrival after he passed a medical earlier this week.

The Chilean international playmaker has signed a contract with the San Siro outfit until 30 June 2009.

It is still unclear at this stage how much Pizarro has cost the Nerazzurri, but Inter have sold their 50 per cent share in Goran Pandev – currently at Lazio – to the Bianconeri as part of the deal.

Pizarro has been demanding a move after submitting a transfer request and failing to show up for pre-season training in Udine.

Udinese could now make a bid for Lazio midfielder Fabio Liverani as Pizarro’s replacement. The Italian worked with new boss Serse Cosmi at Perugia

Channel 4

Mar 6, 2005
Fiorentina agree Toni fee
Thursday 14 July, 2005
Palermo striker Luca Toni is on the verge of joining Fiorentina after a fee was agreed between the two clubs.

The announcement was made by Viola sporting director Pantaleo Corvino following lengthy talks.

"Palermo have accepted our offer of £7.2m," Corvino said this evening. "Now we will have to sort out details with the player."

Toni, scorer of 50 League goals over the last two seasons, is expected to sign a four-year contract worth £1m a season.

The move has been on the cards for weeks even if talks have been difficult given Palermo’s initial asking price of £10m.

However, the outfit’s capture of striker Stephen Makinwa yesterday has unblocked the situation.

The young Nigerian will now partner Andrea Caracciolo next season after his move from Brescia last month.

"I am happy to have fulfilled the ambition of the Palermo President," Makinwa told BBC Sport after quitting Atalanta.

"He has been talking in the Press about how much he admires me and I won't let him down.

"I'm happy that a big club like Inter showed interest in me, but in football a decision has to be made and I'm happy Palermo matched words with action.

"It would have been nice to play alongside Obafemi Martins (at Inter) but my future and ambition now lies with Palermo and that is a massive challenge for me."

Channel4.com

Frankly, I think it would have been better for them if they had kept miccoli..

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Toro & Messina barred from Serie A

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have today expelled Torino and Messina from Serie A due to their financial problems.

Whispers in Italy over the last few days had suggested that the pair did not meet the requirements needed to be registered for the new campaign, and the FIGC confirmed the news on Friday.

However, today’s decision is not final and all clubs who have been barred have three appeal processes that they could still pursue.

"I'm not optimistic but I'm realistic," stated Torino President Attilio Romero, whose side won promotion last term.

"I think that we have all of the tools in hand and all of the prerequisites to remain in Serie A."

Messina, who comfortably survived the drop last season, are also confident that they have the necessary paperwork to resolve their problems.

"I knew this decision was coming," said Messina President Pietro Franza. "But I want to underline that we have great faith in the bodies who we will now turn to.

"We are certain that we can continue with our adventure in Serie A."

Bologna, following their relegation, are in pole position to replace Messina should today’s judgement stand.

Torino’s supposed exit would allow Treviso, who finished fifth in Serie B, to take their place because Perugia – who lost to Toro in the Play-Off Final – have their own problems.

The Umbrian outfit and Salernitana are currently not registered for the Second Division, while a host of Serie C sides are in real trouble too.

It’s unclear at this stage when we will know the final line-ups of each Division and therefore the fixtures for the new campaign. Serie A is set to kick-off on August 28.

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Mancini expects Figo arrival

Inter boss Roberto Mancini insists it is just a matter of time before Luis Figo arrives from Real Madrid.

The Portuguese winger has been linked with the Nerazzurri and a move to the San Siro now seems inevitable.

"Nobody can doubt his ability as a footballer but it is also clear that you need time to sign a player of his quality," Mancini told Studio Sport on Friday afternoon.

Figo, who has just one year left on his Real contract, is expected to arrive on a free transfer after a move to Liverpool collapsed.

"I’m very happy with the base of the team that I already have here," continued Mancio. "The club have worked well and that will continue in the future.

"There are three trophies up for grabs next term, four including the Italian Super Cup (against Juventus on August 20).

"We will start the season as we did last term, looking to do well and better than the previous campaign."

It is widely accepted that the Coppa Italia winners still require a central defender, but the tactician wouldn’t give too much away when asked about Walter Samuel of Real and Roma’s Cristian Chivu.

"Samuel or Chivu? They are two great players who would be useful," he said. "We’ll have to wait and see what happens."

Mancini was also inevitably asked about Christian Vieri’s decision to quit the Nerazzurri for city rivals Milan.

"I wish him all the best," he stated. "I had no kind of problem with Christian and he always behaved well with me.

"He played well last term but roads do sometimes split in this game."

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Pizarro -- what a waste of a great talent at Inter.
Couldn't care less. I was relieved when Makinwa signed for Palermo. Now to the burning question, How do we get Martins out of there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)