[IT] Serie A 2004/05 (6 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Milan really did not deserve to win the Derby tonight. They did not control the run of play and Inter seemed to want the win more. Inter created more chances throughout the match, and Kaka was lucky to deflect Gattuso's shot into the net. The Nerazzurri appealed for an offside, but I think it was idiot Cristiano Zanetti who kept Kaka on, not pushing up like the rest of the defense. But Milan did not deserve to win and Inter did not deserve to lose.
I totally concur with Andy here. I am one the the first people to defend Milan's success as part of their determination over simply calling their success "luck". But today's derby was little more than luck. Milan absolutely did not deserve to win tonight. They looked as sad out there as we did against Milan earlier in the season -- they couldn't put together two decent passes to save their lives.

Inter was pouring it on, seemed to dominate possession, and took a lot of hacking fouls in the process. What saved Milan was solid defensive play from Nesta and very aggressive tackling and challenging tactics. They were definitely playing to lowball the score, knowing Sheva was out. I honestly don't see how Milan could have, and should have, won ... but they did.

I would have liked to see Inter pull more of what they did against us when down by two goals -- pour on four attackers. They've made some great comebacks this season, but today they could not...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, it seems like Inter has their own "Curse of the Bambino". But if the Red Sox can win a World Series after 86 (?) years, maybe there's some hope for Inter.

So here's Ancelotti on things from Channel 4:

Ancelotti: We earned our luck

Carlo Ancelotti concedes his side has been lucky of late, but insists Milan have earned their share of fortune.

“It was a very balanced game played mainly in midfield and we did well to hold up in defence,” he said of their 1-0 Derby di Milano victory.
Sorry, Carlo. I've defended your performances against Cagliari and all, but this time you're blowing smoke out of your ass. You clearly did not deserve to win this match and had the gods on your side.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

I totally concur with Andy here. I am one the the first people to defend Milan's success as part of their determination over simply calling their success "luck". But today's derby was little more than luck. Milan absolutely did not deserve to win tonight. They looked as sad out there as we did against Milan earlier in the season -- they couldn't put together two decent passes to save their lives.

Inter was pouring it on, seemed to dominate possession, and took a lot of hacking fouls in the process. What saved Milan was solid defensive play from Nesta and very aggressive tackling and challenging tactics. They were definitely playing to lowball the score, knowing Sheva was out. I honestly don't see how Milan could have, and should have, won ... but they did.

I would have liked to see Inter pull more of what they did against us when down by two goals -- pour on four attackers. They've made some great comebacks this season, but today they could not...

think about it this way

milan takes Rui out to put Costacurta and they score.

i feel cheated

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Yeah, it seems like Inter has their own "Curse of the Bambino". But if the Red Sox can win a World Series after 86 (?) years, maybe there's some hope for Inter.

So here's Ancelotti on things from Channel 4:

Ancelotti: We earned our luck

Sorry, Carlo. I've defended your performances against Cagliari and all, but this time you're blowing smoke out of your ass. You clearly did not deserve to win this match and had the gods on your side.

yeap...Milan were lucky this time,,,anyways we have no exuses,,,we lost a 8 point lead in a month.... but we still can do something.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Inter boss Roberto Mancini was highly critical of an uninspiring Milan side, who often appeared content to settle for the nerazzurri to slip up rather than provoking a win.

"Milan did almost nothing to try and win the game," fumed Mancini, before adding, "We should have taken advantage of the chances created. But this is football, we have to accept it."

Kaka admitted his side had benefitted from a slice of good fortune.

"Milan lucky? Yes, in the last two games, we've got a goal towards the end of the game," said the match winner. "It's a good sign at this crucial time. We've caught Juventus and can build on that." :yuck:

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
I have to admit.. Inter didn't deserve to lose.. they were marvelous in the game.. but, unlucky.. poor emre, the minute he entered, he broke Kaka's offside allowing Milan to score a lousy goal.. how pity..!!

but, how ironic that inter's first loss came in a game that they deserved to win more than any other game..!!!

44BigBert

Aug 20, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
I have to admit.. Inter didn't deserve to lose.. they were marvelous in the game.. but, unlucky.. poor emre, the minute he entered, he broke Kaka's offside allowing Milan to score a lousy goal.. how pity..!!

but, how ironic that inter's first loss came in a game that they deserved to win more than any other game..!!!
That is soccer !!!
everything is unexpected in this soccer world, otherwise it will be bored to watch soccer game because you can expect each game result, strong teams win and weak teams lose.:cheesy::cheesy:

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Question for you all...

We seemed to have all the luck at the beginning of the season, and Milan had none. Now the pendulum has swung...

Can it swing back?

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Milan really did not deserve to win the Derby tonight. They did not control the run of play and Inter seemed to want the win more. Inter created more chances throughout the match, and Kaka was lucky to deflect Gattuso's shot into the net. The Nerazzurri appealed for an offside, but I think it was idiot Cristiano Zanetti who kept Kaka on, not pushing up like the rest of the defense. But Milan did not deserve to win and Inter did not deserve to lose.
Actually Andy it was Emre...The funny thing is that milan won the corner from veron and then he was substituted...Then stupid emre ran from the bench to the goal line to cover for the corner...but it seems he didnt get into the match atmosphere yet and didnt push up...So not only did mancini pulled out inter's best player in the match but substituted him for a player who caused him the match in his first 5 seconds:fero:

Its wouldve been a tough call even if emre wouldve pulled up, as kaka and zanetti seem to be in the same line:( so i guess we will never know

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by 44BigBert ] ++

That is soccer !!!
everything is unexpected in this soccer world, otherwise it will be bored to watch soccer game because you can expect each game result, strong teams win and weak teams lose.:cheesy::cheesy:
But no1 expected Emre to be so ignorant of the positions of all the players and he stood in a position which led Kaka and another Milan player to being onside as the pic showed.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Ancelotti: We earned our luck Sunday 27 February, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlo Ancelotti concedes his side has been lucky of late, but insists Milan have earned their share of fortune.

“It was a very balanced game played mainly in midfield and we did well to hold up in defence,” he said of their 1-0 Derby di Milano victory.

“Fortune favours the brave and we have to put ourselves in these positions to earn the lucky breaks. Inter played very well in the first half and we were certainly under pressure with our central defenders holding up brilliantly.”

The Rossoneri have certainly had the rub of the green over the last few weeks, winning games with last-gasp strikes and a comical own goal at Reggina.

“All that matters is that we’re at the top of the table and I think the Scudetto race will be a fascinating battle until the final day of the season.”

Ancelotti fielded the same starting eleven that won at Old Trafford midweek, but they were not as effective.

“We wanted to play a slightly different style from the one in Manchester and needed to limit Inter’s extraordinary attacking potential. We needed to find space out wide on the flanks and didn’t really make the most of it, especially with the fullbacks tonight.”

Serginho came on for the injured Kakha Kaladze during the first period and played as both a fullback and a support striker.

“I tried to push Serginho further forward and use his pace, especially as over time Inter became more tired and were vulnerable to that kind of attack,” explained Ancelotti.

Match-winner Kaka certainly enjoys this occasion, as he has scored three goals in four Derby di Milano appearances.

“This is a very special game and after so much bad luck this season when I repeatedly hit the woodwork, I finally get a bit of good fortune,” commented the Brazilian.

“We’re riding out luck at the moment with lots of late wins, but we’re getting the points despite not playing at our best, so that can only be a positive thing.”

:(

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
Question for you all...

We seemed to have all the luck at the beginning of the season, and Milan had none. Now the pendulum has swung...

Can it swing back?
yeah its the musical chairs game

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Player of the Week: Del Piero (Juventus)
Monday 28 February, 2005

Those who question why Alessandro Del Piero is so highly rated have been given the answer they have been looking for. His performance in Week 26 against Siena verged on the awesome as the Juventus captain rediscovered his old touch by netting twice in the 3-0 victory.

Although there was nothing too difficult about the way he slotted home his penalty, his back-heeled goal was an illustration of his sublime, if admittedly underused, natural footballing talent. Even his harshest critics will have to concede that his display against the ‘other’ Bianconeri was something special.

There were already signs of Alex’s re-birth at Messina during the 0-0 draw in Week 25. Having been recently dropped to the bench, the No 10 was his side’s best player during a difficult game at the Stadio San Filippo. Yet after receiving praise for that display, criticism duly followed the Real Madrid defeat after Alex, along with the majority of his teammates, failed to shine.

The big question now is can Del Piero uphold the kind of form that destroyed Siena for a sustained period? After all, he netted two against the same Tuscan minnows in the first half of the season, which also led to adulation that the ‘old’ Alex had finally returned. A muscle strain and some infuriatingly inconsistent displays only followed.

Juventus could certainly do with the Italian international at his very best right now. It is no secret that their squad is nowhere near as packed with the quality of the Milan one, or possibly even Inter’s array of players. After all, had boss Fabio Capello not been without Pavel Nedved for the last month, then we possibly would not have seen Juve fielded with a trident attack against both Udinese and Siena.

Del Piero now has a massive opportunity to finally prove that he’s not finished on the big stage. The club face Roma and Real Madrid next, two games that must be won if the outfit are too keep alive their hopes of a Scudetto and Champions’ League double.

With David Trezeguet having scored just once since his return from injury and recently suffering with illness, Del Piero has made it tough for Capello to again drop him from the side in favour of the Frenchman.

Alex certainly won’t be lacking from any motivation. He’s firstly had to endure the humiliation of continually being substituted by Capello. The Coach then dropped him to the bench for a number of games which raised doubts over the player’s long-term future in Turin. Rumours of a summer exit simply gathered pace after the club signed Adrian Mutu, a possible direct replacement or a transfer pawn to offer Roma for Antonio Cassano – the new Golden Boy of Italian football, a tag which once belonged to the former Padova youngster.

This has undoubtedly been the player’s most difficult season in Turin since he returned from a career-threatening knee injury in the summer of 1999. But Del Piero has taken the flack he’s received with the dignity and the professionalism that few men in his position would have shown. He knows what he can offer Juventus and he’s now finally showing it.

channel4.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)