Israeli-Palestinian conflict (10 Viewers)

Is Hamas a Terrorist Organization?

• Yes

• No

• Should there be a Jewish nation SOMEWHERE in the world?

• Yes

• No

• Should Israel be a country located in the region it is right now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
:sergio:

The guy always manage to trigger my gag reflex

- - - Updated - - -

Iranian Rial has lost 60% of its value since the beginning of the year. That is while the full effect of US leaving Iran deal is not there yet. I would not take those chants at their face value. People are understandably very frustrated.
Yeah I agree. I would go as far as to say I don't think the chants "Death to Israel/USA" should be taken at face value either. @king Ale can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in Farsi it has a somewhat different meaning then we think when taken literally, it's more of a phrase of some kind. Depending on context of course but it's more like a show of discontent or protest than a warcry with an actual genocidal intent.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
:sergio:

The guy always manage to trigger my gag reflex

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree. I would go as far as to say I don't think the chants "Death to Israel/USA" should be taken at face value either. @king Ale can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in Farsi it has a somewhat different meaning then we think when taken literally, it's more of a phrase of some kind. Depending on context of course but it's more like a show of discontent or protest than a warcry with an actual genocidal intent.
It does not have a different meaning literally, but it's so overused in past 40 years that it's somewhat lost that sharp edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
It does not have a different meaning literally, but it's so overused in past 40 years that it's somewhat lost that sharp edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im talking about Iran specificly, I know there is a saying there "death to trafic" and you can use the phrase quite broadly. Again it's only based on what knowladge I have of the country and I could be wrong.

Iranians aren't arab, In the wider arab world I would most definitly apply the literal meaning to the chant.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Im talking about Iran specificly, I know there is a saying there "death to trafic" and you can use the phrase quite broadly. Again it's only based on what knowladge I have of the country and I could be wrong.

Iranians aren't arab, In the wider arab world I would most definitly apply the literal meaning to the chant.
Ronn is Iranian. The "death to" chants started during the Islamic revolution (death to Shah), and is now really symbolic and used mostly by the regime's supporters as they think they are still revolting against the enemy. They even use it every now and then for the leaders of the green movement who've been under house arrest since 2009. This type of showing discontent (death to chants or burning flags) is too childish even for school children but I'd call it treasonous given how it has been used and is still used in the US to convince the public that Iran deserves what it gets. They even mentioned it in the senate lol.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Ronn is Iranian. The "death to" chants started during the Islamic revolution (death to Shah), and is now really symbolic and used mostly by the regime's supporters as they think they are still revolting against the enemy. They even use it every now and then for the leaders of the green movement who've been under house arrest since 2009. This type of showing discontent (death to chants or burning flags) is too childish even for school children but I'd call it treasonous given how it has been used and is still used in the US to convince the public that Iran deserves what it gets. They even mentioned it in the senate lol.
:tup:

Wasn't aware @Ronn is Iranian, apologies bud. And there I was going on :D

It really does a disservice to the Iranians in regard to world opinion and as I said I don't think they literally (mostly) mean it in the genocidal sense.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Israel adopts divisive Jewish nation-state law

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel passed a law on Thursday to declare that only Jews have the right of self-determination in the country, something members of the Arab minority called racist and verging on apartheid.

The “nation-state” law, backed by the right-wing government, passed by a vote of 62-55 and two abstentions in the 120-member parliament after months of political argument. Some Arab lawmakers shouted and ripped up papers after the vote.

“This is a defining moment in the annals of Zionism and the history of the state of Israel,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Knesset after the vote.

Largely symbolic, the law was enacted just after the 70th anniversary of the birth of the state of Israel. It stipulates that “Israel is the historic homeland of the Jewish people and they have an exclusive right to national self-determination in it”.

The bill also strips Arabic of its designation as an official language alongside Hebrew, downgrading it to a “special status” that enables its continued use within Israeli institutions.

Israel’s Arabs number some 1.8 million, about 20 percent of the 9 million population.

Early drafts of the legislation went further in what critics at home and abroad saw as discrimination toward Israel’s Arabs, who have long said they are treated as second-class citizens.

Clauses that were dropped in last-minute political wrangling - and after objections by Israel’s president and attorney-general - would have enshrined in law the establishment of Jewish-only communities, and instructed courts to rule according to Jewish ritual law when there were no relevant legal precedents.

Instead, a more vaguely-worded version was approved, which says: “The state views the development of Jewish settlement as a national value and will act to encourage and promote its establishment.”

Even after the changes, critics said the new law will deepen a sense of alienation within the Arab minority.

“I announce with shock and sorrow the death of democracy,” Ahmed Tibi, an Arab lawmaker, told reporters.

Netanyahu has defended the law. “We will keep ensuring civil rights in Israel’s democracy but the majority also has rights and the majority decides,” he said last week.

“An absolute majority wants to ensure our state’s Jewish character for generations to come.”

Israel’s Arab population is comprised mainly of descendants of the Palestinians who remained on their land during the conflict between Arabs and Jews that culminated in the war of 1948 surrounding the creation of the modern state of Israel. Hundreds of thousands were forced to leave their homes or fled.

Those who remained have full equal rights under the law but say they face constant discrimination, citing inferior services and unfair allocations for education, health and housing.

In Ma’alot-Tarshiha, a municipality in northern Israel which was created by linking the Jewish town of Ma’alot and the Arab town of Tarshiha, there was anger among Arab residents.

“I think this is racist legislation by a radical right-wing government that is creating radical laws, and is planting the seeds to create an apartheid state,” said physician Bassam Bisharah, 71.

“The purpose of this law is discrimination. They want to get rid of the Arabs totally,” said Yousef Faraj, 53, from the nearby Druze village of Yanuh. “The Israelis want to destroy all the religions of the Arabs.”

Adalah, the Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, called the law a bid to advance “ethnic superiority by promoting racist policies”.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ivisive-jewish-nation-state-law-idUSKBN1K901V

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
I assume no here actually bothered to read the law before being triggered. What exactly do you guys take such an issue with?

Personally I think it's regretful it passed. I take issue with “The state views the development of Jewish settlement as a national value and will act to encourage and promote its establishment." a Still it's a very vague statement I just don't like the many ways it can be construed to serve a political agenda. I think it serves no purpose other than being divisive. Same for the change of arabic from official language to a special status one, again it's a purely self serving political move.

With all that said the whole law has absolutely zero consequences on legislation or daily life, nothing in it is a departure from the current status-quo. The only purpose of the law was for Bibi to score a point on the "win" column ahead of the election with his hardcore base, it's a pure internal politics move. The only reason the law passed btw is because bibi "bribed" the religious parties in the parliament in exchanged for their support.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Israel ::lol3::

Can't wait for @lgorTudor to get back and defend this nonsense or the bright kid Orgut
Kid?! Lol it has been some time since someone called me a kid..
Anyway we both know it doesnt matter what I say actually..
Israel is a country ruled by human beings and human beings can make good and bad decisions..
If they do good you`ll say they have a reason to do so / hypocrites
If they do bad you`ll bash them so I see no reason why I should even bother...

As for stripping the language from the official language status - I dont need to tell anyone here that both parties live in Israel so its stupid to ignore it..

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Kid?! Lol it has been some time since someone called me a kid..
Anyway we both know it doesnt matter what I say actually..
Israel is a country ruled by human beings and human beings can make good and bad decisions..
If they do good you`ll say they have a reason to do so / hypocrites
If they do bad you`ll bash them so I see no reason why I should even bother...

As for stripping the language from the official language status - I dont need to tell anyone here that both parties live in Israel so its stupid to ignore it..
::lol3::

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
I assume no here actually bothered to read the law before being triggered. What exactly do you guys take such an issue with?

Personally I think it's regretful it passed. I take issue with “The state views the development of Jewish settlement as a national value and will act to encourage and promote its establishment." a Still it's a very vague statement I just don't like the many ways it can be construed to serve a political agenda. I think it serves no purpose other than being divisive. Same for the change of arabic from official language to a special status one, again it's a purely self serving political move.

With all that said the whole law has absolutely zero consequences on legislation or daily life, nothing in it is a departure from the current status-quo. The only purpose of the law was for Bibi to score a point on the "win" column ahead of the election with his hardcore base, it's a pure internal politics move. The only reason the law passed btw is because bibi "bribed" the religious parties in the parliament in exchanged for their support.
This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)