Israeli-Palestinian conflict (20 Viewers)

Is Hamas a Terrorist Organization?

• Yes

• No

• Should there be a Jewish nation SOMEWHERE in the world?

• Yes

• No

• Should Israel be a country located in the region it is right now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3,961
    Arguably, and I don't think this is a particularly controversial view, the "Jews" are both a religion and a nationality group. The reason being they don't send out missionaries, in fact they're extremely selective about new members, so that means their nation is synchronized with their religious group.

This is of course unusual because most religions reach out to new members across national divides, but Judaism doesn't.

One of the standard tests to see if a group of people can legitimately be said to be a nation is to see if they have a language. Hebrew as far as I know is not spoken by anyone else.
    So, are you calling for accepting a racist country that doesn't accept the others?

Buy on AliExpress.com

CheSchifo!

Jan 11, 2009
    I have a question for those who bash and don't believe in religion, don't you find it hypocritical that you are with a Jewish state?
    Generally I would be against such a state, yes. But the international community has accepted Israel. And you don't see us asking for Saudi Arabia to disappear either.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    To Martin:

Where is the two-state Oslo agreement ? Israel kept their settlers in bay and still kept demolishing houses ? Isn't that a lie, do you see a second state called Palestine on the map somewhere? Aren't we still going on a lie that was based on the Zionist state called Israel ? That's the biggest one I can think of after at least after 50 years of what had happened.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    So, are you calling for accepting a racist country that doesn't accept the others?
    We've had this discussion already and you know what I think, I said it several times. If a group of people claims to be a national group and they say they want their own state then you have to take that claim seriously. (I did not say I knew what decision to make.)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    To Martin:

Where is the two-state Oslo agreement ? Israel kept their settlers in bay and still kept demolishing houses ? Isn't that a lie, do you see a second state called Palestine on the map somewhere? Aren't we still going on a lie that was based on the Zionist state called Israel ? That's the biggest one I can think of after at least after 50 years of what had happened.
    I'm not saying they never lied about anything. I was just saying that particular thing you said couldn't be classified a lie cause it wasn't a statement of fact.

Anyway, of course Israel lies, but that's the least of what they do.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Arguably, and I don't think this is a particularly controversial view, the "Jews" are both a religion and a nationality group. The reason being they don't send out missionaries, in fact they're extremely selective about new members, so that means their nation is synchronized with their religious group.

This is of course unusual because most religions reach out to new members across national divides, but Judaism doesn't.

One of the standard tests to see if a group of people can legitimately be said to be a nation is to see if they have a language. Hebrew as far as I know is not spoken by anyone else.
    That doesn't make sense at all but whatever, I have no intention in going on with such discussion. Never was a fan and never will be.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    What doesn't make sense?
    The way you explained that you are not being a hypocrite when it comes to a Jewish state.

It's simple, are you with religion you are with having religious states.
    You are against religion, you are against religious states.

Language and other crap have nothing to do with my question.

Andries answered to the point but he even looked more of a hypocrite because he accepted an international decision that is against his own beliefs.

Jan 7, 2004
    idealistic beliefs have to pass the real-world test, that's all 7 implied. if we are going to give people the right to choose, we can't be too annoyed at their choice. we can only work so that democracy doesn't become a tyranny of the majority

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    The way you explained that you are not being a hypocrite when it comes to a Jewish state.

Okay so if you choose to ignore most of what I said then of course you can draw a completely different conclusion. Am I against religious states? In general, yes, because it discriminates against other citizens who don't follow the same religion. In a broader sense also yes because "casually religious" people are made to follow the same religious based rules as the orthodox ones.

However, the whole point I was making is that Judaism is a religion, but the Jews are also a nationality group. And the two things are intimately linked in this case. Should a nationality group have the right to its own state? Yes. Should it be a religious state? No. There are people living in Israel who are not Jews, and they should not be made to live in a religious state.

How do you not get the difference between nation and religion?

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001

Andries answered to the point but he even looked more of a hypocrite because he accepted an international decision that is against his own beliefs.
    They are a nation, they have their own language and their own religion. There is a nation called Israel Jack, you can't ignore that, they are around for ages, and this is why I voted yes for them for having an own state, you want me to vote no? they should live as a second standard citizens world wide? how fair is that?

The question was tricky, whoever made the poll used the wrong word, I vote yes for Israeli's to have their own land, their own rules, their own culture and live it freely..

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Okay so if you choose to ignore most of what I said then of course you can draw a completely different conclusion. Am I against religious states? In general, yes, because it discriminates against other citizens who don't follow the same religion. In a broader sense also yes because "casually religious" people are made to follow the same religious based rules as the orthodox ones.

However, the whole point I was making is that Judaism is a religion, but the Jews are also a nationality group. And the two things are intimately linked in this case. Should a nationality group have the right to its own state? Yes. Should it be a religious state? No. There are people living in Israel who are not Jews, and they should not be made to live in a religious state.

How do you not get the difference between nation and religion?
    It couldn't be said any better than this..

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    They are a nation, they have their own language and their own religion. There is a nation called Israel Jack, you can't ignore that, they are around for ages, and this is why I voted yes for them for having an own state, you want me to vote no? they should live as a second standard citizens world wide? how fair is that?

The question was tricky, whoever made the poll used the wrong word, I vote yes for Israeli's to have their own land, their own rules, their own culture and live it freely..
    Not when other people are the majority.

CheSchifo!

Jan 11, 2009

It's not quite against my own beliefs. I am sure that you noticed that my views in this thread can be categorised as pragmatic. Now I know that in most European countries it is said that religion cannot be something a state is built upon. I agree with that and so do most international organisations. It is however impossible to dissolve states that are built on religion. Which is why Saudi Arabia exists.

Now my point is that, if Saudi Arabia can exist, so can Israel. If it were in my power to dissolve Saudi Arabia, I would also dissolve Israel.

The only one looking like a hypocrite here is you, Jack. The timing of your question is peculiar to say the least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)