Is it okay to make fun of religion? (13 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
No dude, you don't understand what we're trying to say. We're not the believers here.
And religion has hurt anyone? I don't get it. You are non believer, im fine with it, but why ya all complain about the "murders" in bible since you don't believe in whats written there? That's illogical, the things that are written in bible by your mind never happened, so no one was hurt. :shifty:

As a christian i see it that way: in the old testament there were commandments, which many people ignored, and the people living the lives they lived couldn't make it to the heaven, he was severe and fair but not cruel. Everything changes in the New Testament because Jesus gives us the way we can get eternal life, which we couldn't get by ourselves. Look at it this way: child lives till he is 18 in perfect harmony but then his parents tell him to go earn some money, search his own apartment and make living for himself, though the guy is completely not ready for it. Or the other way: the child learns how to make money at the age of 15, 16, before he goes away from parents he already knows a thing or two about the real life. Which is the cruel way?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #282
    Of course, atheists don't care about respect and human decency... they're too busy saving the world as they sit at their keyboards.
    Btw since we're on the subject of respect. Your respect for atheists would be.. where?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    And religion has hurt anyone? I don't get it. You are non believer, im fine with it, but why ya all complain about the "murders" in bible since you don't believe in whats written there? That's illogical, the things that are written in bible by your mind never happened, so no one was hurt. :shifty:
    Three times we have told you and you still dont get it. Meh, have a nice day.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Pitbull

no, the reason for the complaints is that an atheist is appealed that someone would read what's in the bible, believe it, and go there for moral guidance
    Well than it's destructive to read, watch or do anything. If the teletubbies jumps in a well after their usual single, you would blame them for murdering some kid who would do the same? Nonsense.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Well than it's destructive to read, watch or do anything. If the teletubbies jumps in a well after their usual single, you would blame them for murdering some kid who would do the same? Nonsense.
    You truly are an extraordinary man.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    yes i would. if teletubies were the "revealed divine truth"
    So the truth always must be told only in very simple words so that even the biggest idiot on earth would get the meaning? I tend to disagree.

The teletubbies are the only truth out there, im telling you. Now go and make a thread about how dangerous for our society they are.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005

As a christian i see it that way: in the old testament there were commandments, which many people ignored, and the people living the lives they lived couldn't make it to the heaven, he was severe and fair but not cruel. Everything changes in the New Testament because Jesus gives us the way we can get eternal life, which we couldn't get by ourselves. Look at it this way: child lives till he is 18 in perfect harmony but then his parents tell him to go earn some money, search his own apartment and make living for himself, though the guy is completely not ready for it. Or the other way: the child learns how to make money at the age of 15, 16, before he goes away from parents he already knows a thing or two about the real life. Which is the cruel way?
    Dude, I have no idea what you just said...

Jan 7, 2004
    So the truth always must be told only in very simple words so that even the biggest idiot on earth would get the meaning? I tend to disagree.

The teletubbies are the only truth out there, im telling you. Now go and make a thread about how dangerous for our society they are.

yea, no you didn't understand what i am saying. people tend to take you more seriously when you say you are speaking the word of god. in the case of teletubies, parents with common sense are the greater authority, but who is the greater authority in the bible? the words in there and the clergyman that is interpreting them.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
    You didn't explain why. You said "it's a matter of respect", which doesn't say anything. It doesn't justify why those specific beliefs deserve respect that other beliefs don't.

If I told you I believe in Santa Claus and I was totally serious about it, would you respect that? If I told you I believe the earth is flat and I was serious, would you respect that?
    I said, that religion is generally held dearer to oneself over other beliefs. That example really isn't very good because you rarely find yourself in a position where a grown man believes in Santa Clause.
    A better comparison would be opposing football sides or music taste for example. Religion holds a higher degree of importance because for many, its a basic framework for how you live your life, how you think etc. Comparatively your passion for your football side or father Christmas is generally held in not such high esteem as those things you swear by (religion, your family, national pride). Perhaps it can't ever be a concrete argument, you simply can't prove through fact that one thing is more important than the other. But it can be said that generally you find more people defending their religious beliefs, their countries, their loyalty to family and friends rather then other beliefs. And I'll take that.

Ask yourself the question, what feelings am I provoking? Unless there are ends (saving the world) that justify your means (bullying those who believe in God and in turn angering, upsetting, or embarrassing another human being) then there is no justification for what you're doing and you're simply rude and disrespectful. It doesn't only apply to religion. I'm not going to call your Mum a whore, because I'm considering how that will make you feel and choosing not to regardless of whether I think she is a whore or not.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #296
    I said, that religion is generally held dearer to oneself over other beliefs. That example really isn't very good because you rarely find yourself in a position where a grown man believes in Santa Clause.
    A better comparison would be opposing football sides or music taste for example. Religion holds a higher degree of importance because for many, its a basic framework for how you live your life, how you think etc. Comparatively your passion for your football side or father Christmas is generally held in not such high esteem as those things you swear by (religion, your family, national pride). Perhaps it can't ever be a concrete argument, you simply can't prove through fact that one thing is more important than the other. But it can be said that generally you find more people defending their religious beliefs, their countries, their loyalty to family and friends rather then other beliefs. And I'll take that.
    I doesn't matter that they hold it dear. For all you know I hold Santa Claus way more dear than you do anything in your life. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to believe in Santa.

Hoori asked you a perfectly valid question. People who refuse medical treatment for their sick children, do they deserve respect just because it's their religion?

Ask yourself the question, what feelings am I provoking? Unless there are ends (saving the world) that justify your means (bullying those who believe in God and in turn angering, upsetting, or embarrassing another human being) then there is no justification for what you're doing and you're simply rude and disrespectful.
    No, I'm appealing to people's rationality. I'm provoking people to think about what they say they believe. And there is no gentle way of doing this. Whatever you say about someone's religious beliefs some people will immediately be offended and turn away. You can't even discuss it without someone getting upset. For that there is no justification.

It doesn't only apply to religion. I'm not going to call your Mum a whore, because I'm considering how that will make you feel and choosing not to regardless of whether I think she is a whore or not.
    In your first post you were disrespectful to atheists. Why should I respect you if you don't respect me?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    yea, no you didn't understand what i am saying. people tend to take you more seriously when you say you are speaking the word of god. in the case of teletubies, parents with common sense are the greater authority, but who is the greater authority in the bible? the words in there and the clergyman that is interpreting them.
    But the wise man shouldn't be responsible if the dumb man doesn't get his words right, whether the wise man is authority to dumb man or not. And if the dumb man would read the whole bible not just some story in Old Testament, than he would never hurt himself or someone else in word of God. It's not like there are orders like kill the gays or something like that. Of course you can randomly differentiate the bible, read: "and the Judas hang himself" and go to do the same, but nothing is idiot proof.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    But the wise man shouldn't be responsible if the dumb man doesn't get his words right, whether the wise man is authority to dumb man or not. And if the dumb man would read the whole bible not just some story in Old Testament, than he would never hurt himself or someone else in word of God. It's not like there are orders like kill the gays or something like that.
    Thats just sad that you believe in it. Besieds wasnt bible meant to all of them, especially the "dumb" ones, it is "dumbed" down for everyone to understand isnt it?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Thats just sad that you believe in it. Besieds wasnt bible meant to all of them, especially the "dumb" ones, it is "dumbed" down for everyone to understand isnt it?
    I doubt there is a man on this earth that understands every single thing that's written in bible, either he is dumb or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)