Is it okay to make fun of religion? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
While you're thinking about that question I want you to think about this one:

Is it okay to make fun of Inter?

No doubt an Inter fan reading what some people here have to say about their club, in joke form or serious statements, would be deeply offended. Of course, this is a Juve forum, but does that give us the right to oppress other fans?

Is it okay to make fun of stuff that people cherish? Music? Books? Movies? Role models? Political ideas? Sports teams? Religious beliefs?

EDIT: For your entertainment:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Not if I'm around people. I tend to respect people that respect what I believe in. If someone makes fun of Juve, I tend to make fun of him back. If someone insults me because I'm an atheist, then I insult their religion back.

Aug 1, 2003
I only insult Inter in this forum and I don't have Interisti friends, don't think I would dare to to their hardcore fans, we've seen things like what hooligans can do etc, so to answer your question, I'd say no...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Religion is for the mentally challenged.

And you can't make fun of the mentally challenged, that's just cruel.

So I'd vote no.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Making fun of someones sports team is a lot different from...say..making fun of their mother, for reasons I don't think I have to explain.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
While you're thinking about that question I want you to think about this one:

Is it okay to make fun of Inter?

No doubt an Inter fan reading what some people here have to say about their club, in joke form or serious statements, would be deeply offended. Of course, this is a Juve forum, but does that give us the right to oppress other fans?

Is it okay to make fun of stuff that people cherish? Music? Books? Movies? Role models? Political ideas? Sports teams? Religious beliefs?

EDIT: For your entertainment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpSg_da08Q
That guy was hilarious :lol2:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Making fun of someones sports team is a lot different from...say..making fun of their mother, for reasons I don't think I have to explain.
People make fun of atheists all the time. You also morally judge us and say we're going to hell. You even say we're bad people.

So SCREW your moral judgment. I'm making fun of you.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
People make fun of atheists all the time. You also morally judge us and say we're going to hell. You even say we're bad people.

So SCREW your moral judgment. I'm making fun of you.
I've never made fun of an atheist. Maybe you have experienced it because you set yourself up to be made fun of, I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised.

I've never told anyone they're going to hell either lol. I'm not from the Bible belt.

You need anger management btw.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    I only insult Inter in this forum and I don't have Interisti friends, don't think I would dare to to their hardcore fans, we've seen things like what hooligans can do etc, so to answer your question, I'd say no...
    So your rationale is based on fear of retribution? And this is the same reason why noone should insult religion?

I find this rationale slightly less than satisfying.

Aug 1, 2003
    So your rationale is based on fear of retribution? And this is the same reason why noone should insult religion?

I find this rationale slightly less than satisfying.
    I worded it wrongly. Not fear, more out of respect as well. Unfortunately I would feel bad insulting Inter at a rate only we know how to a hardcore Inter fan, I know how I would feel if they did the same to me.

And why not fear as well, why cause unnecessary trouble.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    I worded it wrongly. Not fear, more out of respect as well. Unfortunately I would feel bad insulting Inter at a rate only we know how to a hardcore Inter fan, I know how I would feel if they did the same to me.

And why not fear as well, why cause unnecessary trouble.
    So you would never make fun of anything that someone likes? And you live by this?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    But why is that? Have you ever though about that? Is it because family is a permanent situation that you can't change? Whereas a sports team you can tell people this week that you like Inter and next week that you like Milan. And there's no way they can prove you wrong. And so with family people, out of necessity if nothing else, are more committed to it?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    But why is that? Have you ever though about that? Is it because family is a permanent situation that you can't change? Whereas a sports team you can tell people this week that you like Inter and next week that you like Milan. And there's no way they can prove you wrong.
    What you said and the support for a team is not always permanent. People can suddenly lose interest in a team or in the sport overall. For instance, I don't watch basketball anymore, find it extremely boring but I used to be a big Lakers fan and then a big Mavericks fan. Now I couldn't be paid to sit through a whole game.

Then there are more complex things associated. Your mother, other than the fact that she gave birth to you; she raised you, helped you through tough times, gave you advice, consoled you, etc etc. There's just no way a freakin sports team can do the same. So naturally a family member will always be closer to you than a sports team hence you would take an insult more personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)