Is it okay to make fun of religion? (4 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 26, 2007
I believe it's more than just okay to make fun of religion; it's an absolute necessity to be able to make fun of every institution that has some kind of authority. That doesn't mean going after someone personally though, but I think that's not what's meant in the poll anyway.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Depends on the context. My grandmother used to be religious (now she's seen the light) so obviously I wouldn't do anything which hurts her.

If you're not doing it just to take digs at decent people, then it's fun.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I believe it's more than just okay to make fun of religion; it's an absolute necessity to be able to make fun of every institution that has some kind of authority. That doesn't mean going after someone personally though, but I think that's not what's meant in the poll anyway.
:tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Here's the problem:

1) Someone makes fun of Mohammad.
2) You're muslim
3) You feel attacked

So basically this means we can make of every religion, as long as it's not yours. That's not going to do it, Ze. Islam sucks and I want to be able to say it sucks.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Here's the problem:

1) Someone makes fun of Mohammad.
2) You're muslim
3) You feel attacked

So basically this means we can make of every religion, as long as it's not yours. That's not going to do it, Ze. Islam sucks and I want to be able to say it sucks.
Do you suffer from dyslexia? Did you miss the part where he said "That doesn't mean going after someone personally though"?

Seven, it's ok that you can't understand the bounties of Islam. Even a person of your vast intelligence and grandeur can miss it. Ignorance does not discriminate :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do you suffer from dyslexia? Did you miss the part where he said "That doesn't mean going after someone personally though"?

Seven, it's ok that you can't understand the bounties of Islam. Even a person of your vast intelligence and grandeur can miss it. Ignorance does not discriminate :)
If I insult Muhamamd, I'm not insulting you personally (which is exactly what would be argued in any half decent court). I think it's you who don't understand where the boundaries lie.

Go ahead, ask him. I'm sure he thinks the Danish cartoons were just fine.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
If I insult Muhamamd, I'm not insulting you personally (which is exactly what would be argued in any half decent court). I think it's you who don't understand where the boundaries lie.

Go ahead, ask him. I'm sure he thinks the Danish cartoons were just fine.
What do you want Seven?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
People make fun of atheists all the time. You also morally judge us and say we're going to hell. You even say we're bad people.

So SCREW your moral judgment. I'm making fun of you.
Yes, yes, yes. And it supposed to be like nothing at all, they are only sending us to the worst plays they could think of.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes, yes, yes. And it supposed to be like nothing at all, they are only sending us to the worst plays they could think of.
Exactly. They can say I'm going to burn all eternity, but when I laugh when they say something silly like Muhammad was for real, it's a crime.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
It ought to be. I'm not going after you.

That's what we agreed on. I can make fun of religion, as long as I'm not going after you.

You see? You don't even understand the implications of what you say FFS.
I take an insult on a prophet personally. Maybe you should take a lesson in English 101.

There are plenty of comedians that joke about Islam and I find them funny. We joke about Islam ourselves. It just depends on how far you take it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I take an insult on a prophet personally. Maybe you should take a lesson in English 101.

There are plenty of comedians that joke about Islam and I find them funny. We joke about Islam ourselves. It just depends on how far you take it.
Ah, but then we can't joke about the religion.

Or wait, we can joke about religion, but only about certain stuff? Right? Am I right? I know I'm right. Jesus Christ, Ze, what the fuck is this? Are you insane?

And would there be like Quran scholars telling us what we can joke about and what we can't joke about? What is it with muslims and censorship?

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #38
    No, I just won't make fun of something if I know it matters to the other person. What someone just likes and what someone is passionate about/matters are two different things
    Okay, so if you are in the presence of someone who cares deeply about something you won't make fun of that thing because it's common decency not to.

But there lots of other scenarios. If you have a tv show, should you avoid making fun of any sports team? If you work for a newspaper should you avoid writing columns about sports teams that may be derisive? If you write something on the internet in a place where a lot of people might see it, should you make sure not to make fun of any sports team.

These are not one on one situations, it's a question of whether one group in the audience should force you to change your content.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #40
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if you want into a church and the priest said unbelievers go to hell and you would stand up and say "how dare you, what gives you the right etc etc" :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)