Is it okay to make fun of religion? (6 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I've had enough of this crap.

When will you ever realize that this supreme arrogance of yours will get you nowhere? Stop calling religion a superstition when you have no justification for that whatsoever. You have never refuted any of the arguments I have posited for theism including the Kalam argument, the fine-tuning argument, or the Moral Law argument in a convincing way. You attack the historic credibility of the Bible, why? Because you are atheist. You have never provided any real argument for why the Bible shouldn't be considered as historically viable( Barring Genesis ofcourse) other than the fact than your arbitrary presuppositions of human fallacies.

Instead you opt to believe ridiculous 'superstitions' such as ethical relativism, moral subjectivism, instead of conceding that an objective Moral Law exists. You believe what is conveniant for your atheistic beliefs. You seem to debunk reality itself for that matter, and that's what's most interesting, since that is the very criticism you have for theists.
But Genesis is quoite a big argument isnt it? Because where there is one flaw there will be many more. And since book of god shouldnt have even a single error in it because its supposedly divine, and divine can not have errors, so even one flaw is enough to say that it isnt gods book, but humans, and humans tend to lie, decieve, write fantasies and etc.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
All the good it has done? What about all the bad it has done? Ever heard of the Crusades, of religious wars? Yes, that was also due to superstition.
Yeah I wrote pretty much an essay not long ago about that particular subject on one of these religion threads. If you did your research, you'd find that pretty much every "holy war" was based on political reason. Crusades was probably the most religiously based. But you'd find that religion was simply used as a persuasive tool and justification for war where political and personal reasons weren't sufficient.
But the crusades... what about now? And don't say Bush regime war on terror etc.
So you're saying you wish the revolution had never happened and the status quo of religious persecution was the right way to go? That's interesting because the French revolution is admired around the world, not for the violence that ensued, but for throwing off the oppressors who were living large while 95% of the population lived on scraps.
Haha should I even dignify that with an answer? Was I even close to saying that? :lol:
But while we're making sweeping statements are you saying that, that is justification for the slaughtering of hundreds of thousands of christians and jews? I don't for one second admire the French revolution, have you actually studied it? It was a whole lot of mindless killing far worse then that of the 'old regime' in the name of paranoia.. in fact in the end they completely lost where they were at and had to be taken over by another authoritarian regime.
Study the French Revolution and you'll find it was not admirable in the least and that the genocide of all those people especially the clergy and Catholics alike resulted in absolutely nothing.

I know you don't, which is why we're having this conversation in the first place. If you did, there would be no reason to have threads like these cause it would be obvious to everyone. Of course religious people don't see any harm in their beliefs, that's by definition the case.
You can't speak of any harm that religion causes except for the crusades, various persecutions in France 300 years ago and people living in ignorance which has no real actual negative effect on anything or anyone mind you.

Yes as soon as I started typing I knew I'd be in an endless debate with you and every atheist on the forum. We will all be dead in the ground before this debate ends if it ever does.
But then I suggest you find out what happens to people who change their religion (or leave their religion) in certain countries around the world where the French revolution hasn't reached yet. I'm sure people there don't think there's anything harmful in religious belief either.
Huh? Maybe I'm just tired but that didn't make sense to me.

Jun 13, 2007
this takes the cake as the funniest comment in the whole topic
Ow, really? prove to me that Jesus did not resurrect from the dead. Show me irrefutable evidence that all the eyewitness accounts, the Bible, independent records are all wrong.

I'm waiting.
But Genesis is quoite a big argument isnt it? Because where there is one flaw there will be many more. And since book of god shouldnt have even a single error in it because its supposedly divine, and divine can not have errors, so even one flaw is enough to say that it isnt gods book, but humans, and humans tend to lie, decieve, write fantasies and etc.
Nope. We've been through this before haven't we? Genesis was never meant to be taken literally. Let me give you an example.

In the Bible it states ," For God, 1 day is 10000 days". When Genesis says that God created the world in the 7 days, this does not mean the God created the world in 168 hours but rather signifies God's immense power to be able to create the world in such a short period of time.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #329
    Yeah I wrote pretty much an essay not long ago about that particular subject on one of these religion threads. If you did your research, you'd find that pretty much every "holy war" was based on political reason. Crusades was probably the most religiously based. But you'd find that religion was simply used as a persuasive tool and justification for war where political and personal reasons weren't sufficient.
    But the crusades... what about now? And don't say Bush regime war on terror etc.
    Oh, I got you. The motive for evil things done in the name of religion was never religious. But of course the motive for good things done by religious people was always religion. This way religion gets all the credit and none of the blame. How convincing you are.

Haha should I even dignify that with an answer? Was I even close to saying that? :lol:
    But while we're making sweeping statements are you saying that, that is justification for the slaughtering of hundreds of thousands of christians and jews? I don't for one second admire the French revolution, have you actually studied it? It was a whole lot of mindless killing far worse then that of the 'old regime' in the name of paranoia.. in fact in the end they completely lost where they were at and had to be taken over by another authoritarian regime.
    Study the French Revolution and you'll find it was not admirable in the least and that the genocide of all those people especially the clergy and Catholics alike resulted in absolutely nothing.
    You are really quite special, I have to give you that.

You can't speak of any harm that religion causes except for the crusades, various persecutions in France 300 years ago and people living in ignorance which has no real actual negative effect on anything or anyone mind you.
    Or actually all of the harm happening today. Gay rights anyone? Why don't we have that yet? Oh, I know, religion.

Huh? Maybe I'm just tired but that didn't make sense to me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Punishment_for_apostasy

Jun 13, 2007
    fuck off, i don't need to, and what eye witness accounts? the story passed through generations in words before it actually got written down
    256 of them, including skeptics and non-believers. But don't bother researching the topic, instead, why don't you and drown in your little pool of ignorance?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #331
    Ow, really? prove to me that Jesus did not resurrect from the dead. Show me irrefutable evidence that all the eyewitness accounts, the Bible, independent records are all wrong.

I'm waiting.
    Are we back to the "show me there is no Superman" argument?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

I'm waiting.

Nope. We've been through this before haven't we? Genesis was never meant to be taken literally. Let me give you an example.

In the Bible it states ," For God, 1 day is 10000 days". When Genesis says that God created the world in the 7 days, this does not mean the God created the world in 168 hours but rather signifies God's immense power to be able to create the world in such a short period of time.
    So he created earth in 70000 days? 191 years? Thats just not that cool as 7 days. Whatever, interpret as ever you want those stories, miracles, its up to you. Since we have a normal scale now 1g years = 10000 our years. So is it safe to assume that hod actually built the earth in 191 years?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Oh, I got you. The motive for evil things done in the name of religion was never religious. But of course the motive for good things done by religious people was always religion. This way religion gets all the credit and none of the blame. How convincing you are.
    Didnt you know realigion = good? While man = bad? put those two together and you will know that bad events only happen because the man is bad, and good because religion teaches you good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)