Is it okay to make fun of religion? (23 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 1, 2003
The basic question is "are there subjects that are not open for ridicule?" To which I would say no there aren't any.

It goes without saying that picking your words, your timing etc determines how many friends or enemies you make.
well if that's the case I don't think there are any subjects you can't make fun of, but to what extent is a different case

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #83
    Honest. I'm half tempted to start a new thread with a poll:

"Would you like Seven and Martin to shut up already with their incessant religious whining? Yes/No"
    The very fact that I've started a number of them and each one gets some amount of activity proves that there isn't anything more interesting going on at this time that people would rather talk about. That's not me talking, that's economics. :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, but I am really tiring of the "Seven is right thread of the day"

There are provisions of the Geneva Conventions that I believe prohibit this after a certain point, and I clearly believe we have passed that.
    The Geneva Conventions are there for countries, I can do whatever I want :lol:

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    In my opinion humor is vary good thing, so with good humor and no intention to hurt i think there shouldnt be any topic one must not joke about. One just have to understand what is insulting, joking and tasteful humor. But to deny any right to joke about religion, any stuff about religion - big fat NO.
    Agreed. No as well for me.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #87
    yeah of course, when they do stereotypical black behaviour not merely because they are black. you know what i mean?
    Yeah, because that stuff is funny. But the question is is there anything you can't make fun of. Your answer?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    And Ze, referring to the law without knowing what the law is is pretty sad. At least read the important article FFS.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    It didn't even mention Belgium. You said we are not allowed to believe the Holocaust didn't take place. We are.
    Normally I would say "that's because Beligium doesn't exist" but sadly it does apparently:

Holocaust denial is explicitly or implicitly illegal in 13 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, and Switzerland
    From the same source.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Normally I would say "that's because Beligium doesn't exist" but sadly it does apparently:

From the same source.
    Yes, but you didn't mention Belgium at first.

And the Holocaust denial that is forbidden in Belgium is something very different from what you had in mind. It does not mean we are not allowed to believe the Holocaust was a lie. We're allowed to tell our friends we don't believe it for example.

But hey, what would you know, right? Because you don't do research.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Actually I don't think there's anything wrong with making fun of black people. Black people and white people do it all the time.
    Yeah, but that type of joking is fine. Seven doesn't want that type of joking.

Did you see what happened to Michael Richards?

Yes, but you didn't mention Belgium at first.

And the Holocaust denial that is forbidden in Belgium is something very different from what you had in mind. It does not mean we are not allowed to believe the Holocaust was a lie. We're allowed to tell our friends we don't believe it for example.

But hey, what would you know, right? Because you don't do research.
    Oh my God! We have so much in COMMON! :weee:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

Oh my God! We have so much in COMMON! :weee:
    I'm against that law by the way. But it doesn't say what you think it says.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #93

I did. And btw I think the response he got was quite appropriate. People walked out on him, there was a tv story, basically they made him look like an ass. But it was all done in civility, so I think they handled it well.

But that's really the question here. The Michael Richards story didn't show that you can't make fun of black people (although his ranting wasn't really in the form of a joke, more like yelling insults) even in the most insulting manner. Just that it's not the most clever thing you can do as a comedian.

And that kind of social stigma I believe is the same response we have against stuff like racism.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Oh, so I'm just supposed to take your word for it.
    I'm not going to translate it, no. I could refer you to the Dutch or French version. But I don't feel like doing that either. If you want to talk about it, you could at least have the decency to have the actual law next to you.

What the law is about though is people saying the Holocaust never happened and using that statement to incite hatred. That's what they use it for. If they use it. Which they almost never do.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I'm not going to translate it, no. I could refer you to the Dutch or French version. But I don't feel like doing that either. If you want to talk about it, you could at least have the decency to have the actual law next to you.

What the law is about though is people saying the Holocaust never happened and using that statement to incite hatred. That's what they use it for. If they use it. Which they almost never do.
    Do you realize what a complete hypocrite you are right now? Why should I have the decency of having the law next to me before I say something yet you can say anything about Islam without having the Qur'an next to you and you can say anything you want about the Prophet Muhammad without having read a single Sunnah?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Of course it is okay, i always enjoy a good joke. But it depends on humor, there are things that i find offensive or dumb and disturbing, so you better have a good sense of humor unlike Seven on these matters.

Mohammad might be a moronic warmongerer who created a shit religion based on "purifying" other religions (hell, even his style of copying isn't original), but Jesus Christ is downright gay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)