Is it okay to make fun of religion? (27 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Ah, but then we can't joke about the religion.

Or wait, we can joke about religion, but only about certain stuff? Right? Am I right? I know I'm right. Jesus Christ, Ze, what the fuck is this? Are you insane?
What the fuck man? What the hell? *pulling my hair* Holy Shit man! I'm gonna go insane ARAGAHAGDAFD~~#$Q!~~EE

:shifty:

Have a :andyandbarcelona: Siete. Chill.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Wouldn't it be hilarious if you want into a church and the priest said unbelievers go to hell and you would stand up and say "how dare you, what gives you the right etc etc" :D
That would be dangerous. imagine if the priest points at him and shouts "That's the devil, beat the shit out of him".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What the fuck man? What the hell? *pulling my hair* Holy Shit man! I'm gonna go insane ARAGAHAGDAFD~~#$Q!~~EE

:shifty:

Have a :andyandbarcelona: Siete. Chill.
You're insane. And you live in a democracy FFS. There are two options in the poll. Yes or no. Not "yes, but". Yes or no. And there's a solid reason Martin only put those two.

In your case you can only vote no.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
In my opinion humor is vary good thing, so with good humor and no intention to hurt i think there shouldnt be any topic one must not joke about. One just have to understand what is insulting, joking and tasteful humor. But to deny any right to joke about religion, any stuff about religion - big fat NO.

Aug 1, 2003
Okay, so if you are in the presence of someone who cares deeply about something you won't make fun of that thing because it's common decency not to.

But there lots of other scenarios. If you have a tv show, should you avoid making fun of any sports team? If you work for a newspaper should you avoid writing columns about sports teams that may be derisive? If you write something on the internet in a place where a lot of people might see it, should you make sure not to make fun of any sports team.

These are not one on one situations, it's a question of whether one group in the audience should force you to change your content.
I don't see a problem with that at all, everyone's allowed to write their opinions or make jokes (that are ACTUALLY funny), it just depends on how you do it, usually the public can tell what's harmless and what's harmful. As for the danish cartoon, my personal opinion is that he should've known better - I don't think it was an issue of actually just drawing Muhammad, it was drawing him as a terrorist - a lot of Muslims worldwide were getting shit and discriminated for being one after 9/11, naturally there'd be an uproar no? I disagree with how some reacted to it, the whole boycotting I thought was doing things too far but we definitely had to say something.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
You're insane. And you live in a democracy FFS. There are two options in the poll. Yes or no. Not "yes, but". Yes or no. And there's a solid reason Martin only put those two.
No Seven you're insane. 99% of the forum agrees you're insane. You suffer from near dementia.

Travel the world ffs, open your mind. Go to the subcontinent and see how you'll be treated by the same people you choose to ridicule on a daily basis with that dirty mouth of yours.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Wouldn't it be hilarious if you want into a church and the priest said unbelievers go to hell and you would stand up and say "how dare you, what gives you the right etc etc" :D
It certainly would, althoug i wouldnt do it, who knows what voodoo they do when they get home, im will not risk it :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No Seven you're insane. 99% of the forum agrees you're insane. You suffer from near dementia.

Travel the world ffs, open your mind. Go to the subcontinent and see how you'll be treated by the same people you choose to ridicule on a daily basis with that dirty mouth of yours.
Two friggin' options. How hard can it be?

YES or NO. There is no yes, but in there, Ze. I don't see it. Do you? And why the fuck should there be? Why the fuck can I only laugh about certain aspects of Islam? I'm not muslim. I can joke about whatever the fuck I want. But no, you want censorship.

Why can't I make fun of Muhammad? I don't believe in Muhammad. I don't think he was the prophet. I think he was some random guy. I can make fun of a random in history, can't I? I mean, people can make fun of Napoleon FFS. And Napoleon wasn't some random guy. But Muhammad was.

Aug 1, 2003
Unfortunately there is always a line you cannot cross, we don't live in this world on our own Seven. As much as we all would like to do whatever we want, we just have to think about other people as well, because there will always be repercussions if we don't.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #51
    I don't see a problem with that at all, everyone's allowed to write their opinions or make jokes (that are ACTUALLY funny), it just depends on how you do it, usually the public can tell what's harmless and what's harmful.
    If only.

As for the danish cartoon, my personal opinion is that he should've known better - I don't think it was an issue of actually just drawing Muhammad, it was drawing him as a terrorist - a lot of Muslims worldwide were getting shit and discriminated for being one after 9/11, naturally there'd be an uproar no? I disagree with how some reacted to it, the whole boycotting I thought was doing things too far but we definitely had to say something.
    No, I don't agree at all. Keep in mind that, crucially, it is forbidden for Muslims to even see these drawings, am I right? And do you know what tends to happen? The people who haven't seen the thing that is supposed to be so offensive are the ones who are most outraged. This happens regularly, there's a rumor that something insulting has been said and people protest wildly just based on the rumor alone, without ever seeing the recording. So I don't agree that it was because he was drawn as a terrorist or that because the drawings were particularly insulting. And you know how word of mouth works, when information spreads by word of mouth the original message is practically unintelligible.

Of course, this has more to do with reactions than the statement itself.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Unfortunately there is always a line you cannot cross, we don't live in this world on our own Seven. As much as we all would like to do whatever we want, we just have to think about other people as well, because there will always be repercussions if we don't.
    We're talking about a moral theory here.

I want to know what Ze voted, because he should vote no. And no is the wrong option.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Martin, the this question of yours is the same as joking about religion? or what did you meant by making fun of? I understand making fun of as to be allowed to laugh at some of the unprovable stuff that is in their books?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I've gotten in hot water here for making vulgar plays on words from the Christian bible. So yeah, everything is fair game for humor in my book.

Jun 26, 2007

FWIW Ze, I think the reason Seven's making such a big deal out of this, is because in a lot of European countries, groups of muslims who oppose the Western lifestyle are gaining in influence and power.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #59
    Martin, the this question of yours is the same as joking about religion? or what did you meant by making fun of? I understand making fun of as to be allowed to laugh at some of the unprovable stuff that is in their books?
    Well if you look at the youtube video in the first post. That is basically the kind of rationale this thread is a response to.

Aug 1, 2003
    If only.

No, I don't agree at all. Keep in mind that, crucially, it is forbidden for Muslims to even see these drawings, am I right? And do you know what tends to happen? The people who haven't seen the thing that is supposed to be so offensive are the ones who are most outraged. This happens regularly, there's a rumor that something insulting has been said and people protest wildly just based on the rumor alone, without ever seeing the recording. So I don't agree that it was because he was drawn as a terrorist or that because the drawings were particularly insulting. And you know how word of mouth works, when information spreads by word of mouth the original message is practically unintelligible.

Of course, this has more to do with reactions than the statement itself.
    I was taught that it's not forbidden to see his image, and that the reason behind this is because (and I apologize to christians if I somehow offend) we believe jesus was the prophet before muhammad and we then have christianity where jesus is being worshipped as god etc. Not drawing muhammad, hopefully, will thus help prevent the same thing from happening, from anyone actually worshipping HIM rather than god itself. I don't know about what other muslims think though.

And as I've said before I thought most of the protests were brought a bit too far. But then again, we always have some wackos, in religion, in football, in everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)