Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #42
    Of course they do have goverments. London has a government, as well as Vienna. The definition of a state according to the Montevideo Convention, in my opinion, is just targeted at former colonies in the Americas. For this reason it has also only been signed by States from the Americas.
    They clearly have local governments that do not intend to have the final say on important financial and economic matters. Dubai's government does. The definition of a state according to the Montevideo Convention might be targeted at former colonies, but it has been used extensively and is referred to by far and away most scholars. It might not be perfect, but it's probably the best we have.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the Saudi government? Do you know that in each province has its own emir/prince/ruler (whatever you call it)? What do you say about that?
    There is usually a gliding scale in these things. Look at the United States of America or the European Union. You have federal states, confederal states, unions.. It's not easy to pinpoint which is which. Belgium too is a federal state with two major parts.

Dubai is right on the edge. It may not be a state according to some, but only very just. One could just as easily consider it a state imo. And like Fred says at the beginning of this thread, many make this 'mistake'. If a lot of people are making this 'mistake' that tells you something.

Jun 13, 2007
    Seven, Dubai might have the capacity to be a country, but they currently aren't. The reason is simple: they don't currently consider themselves a country.

Here's the challenge then, and the only way I can be wrong. You'll need to find a country that did not recognise itself as a county when it became labelled a country. Best of luck.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #47
    I already said in 2008 that country was probably not the word I should have used. But Fred thinks I don't own up to my mistakes. He thinks I should beg and grovel for eternity because I once called Dubai a country. Which, as I have since demonstrated, is not even necessarily that wrong.

Look up my first post. And yes, I meant Dubai the emirate and I should have stated so. Country isn't a generic term in English, whereas it is in Italian and somewhat in Dutch as well.
    - - - Updated - - -

Seven, Dubai might have the capacity to be a country, but they currently aren't. The reason is simple: they don't currently consider themselves a country.

Here's the challenge then, and the only way I can be wrong. You'll need to find a country that did not recognise itself as a county when it became labelled a country. Best of luck.
    It considers itself an emirate. But it is indeed the best counterargument I have read in this thread and one that I had also considered myself. The question is how far Dubai wants to go in terms of independence. And if you look into it, that seems to be pretty far.

Jun 13, 2007
    Then why is this a debate and why would you include another separate entity's criteria for what being a country entails? This isn't the sort of thing that's up for debate. It's not predicated on logic, it's completely dependant on what a few men in white overalls decide to write on a piece of paper.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #49
    Then why is this a debate and why would you include another separate entity's criteria for what being a country entails? This isn't the sort of thing that's up for debate. It's not predicated on logic, it's completely dependant on what a few men in white overalls decide to write on a piece of paper.
    Yes, it is up for debate. In fact there's a long history of this kind of debate. But my point is not to prove that Dubai is a country. My point is to demonstrate that one could quite easily see it as such. And it is most definitely not like New York, Paris or Amsterdam.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    State? What the fuck?

The country is called UAE not UAS! It's an emirate and that's what it is, why should it be labelled something else?

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #53
    State? What the fuck?

The country is called UAE not UAS! It's an emirate and that's what it is, why should it be labelled something else?
    An emirate is a principality. It's just a name. Like a monarchy or a republic. Also, you added nothing to the discussion because the USA are in fact a collection of states, but the states have much less independence than Dubai, which for instance has a separate court system.

Come on, JCK :D.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    An emirate is a principality. It's just a name. Like a monarchy or a republic. Also, you added nothing to the discussion because the USA are in fact a collection of states, but the states have much less independence than Dubai, which for instance has a separate court system.

Come on, JCK :D.
    So what if the states in the USA have much less independence thatn Dubai? I just don't think anyone should call Dubai a state because it is not. And with you mentioning that the states are less independent than Dubai confirms the fact that it is not a state.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #55
    So what if the states in the USA have much less independence thatn Dubai? I just don't think anyone should call Dubai a state because it is not. And with you mentioning that the states are less independent than Dubai confirms the fact that it is not a state.
    It depends because these things exist on a scale. It's actually a pretty wide debate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)