Iraq. Is it better now?? (AKA ISIS/ISIL/IS/name-of-the-week-here) (6 Viewers)

Is Iraq better now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well you did. You claimed there was some measure of safety and security. The way I see it those are good things. So you said the regime was not all bad. Either way saying that you wanted to remove a dictator is a pretty decent argument (if there would be any decent arguments to invade another country besides self defense that is). Saddam's regime was that bad and it's a good thing that he's not there anymore.

That they have completely fucked up the situation afterwards and that the initial reason was not the dictatorship does not make the argument any less valid.

In any case it's difficult to tell if it's better or worse. Better in some aspects, much much worse in others.
Well there was some measure of safety and security. There is no denying that at all. I did not say the regime was not all bad, but in comparison to the terrible state of affairs right now, well ya, it used to be better under Saddam.

Like i said before, at Saddam's time, as long as you keep your mouth shut, and don't talk about Saddam or his Baathist ideals, you'd live a safe life, i know its a terrible compromise to make, but lets not kid ourselves, thats how most of the middle east works anyway. Its just more well documented what happened in Iraq, i bet none of you Westerners have an idea whats happening in Syria or Libya, who are two countries that are extremely similar to former Iraq.

Are you for real? :wth:
The general trend, is that more Iraqi's have been leaving Iraq since 2003 than before that. While i agree that freedom of speech, and the peoples ability to elect their own rulers are important things, unfortunately things do not work that way in the middle east. People want to live a safe and secure life, have a roof over their heads, running water and electricity, food on their table etc. Most of the Arab world have not reached the phase where freedom of speech and the ability to elect their leaders is a priority, in that sense, they would rather live a safe, stable and secure life. Relatively, compared to the situation right now, those things were provided under Saddam

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
no it was not..!!
What? Shouldn't all heads of state send around dopplegangers to fool the suicide bombers, execute their political enemies, mustard gas their rebellious voting blocks, give political offices to all their incompetent relatives and friends, and make all religions sublimate to the supremacy of the Great Moustache? :wth:

Sounds like paradise to me. :heart:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
What? Shouldn't all heads of state send around dopplegangers to fool the suicide bombers, execute their political enemies, mustard gas their rebellious voting blocks, give political offices to all their incompetent relatives and friends, and make all religions sublimate to the supremacy of the Great Moustache? :wth:

Sounds like paradise to me. :heart:
Sounds to me like your average Arab country.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Is that even up to debate? for the last 5 years brutal suicide bombings have been a regular news and pictures in Iraq. Assassinations are a habit there, hell, if you had a problem with anyone you could just go to the so called Jihadi organizations and for some cash they'll do just what you ask them, they could well blow up the guy and his entire family to aches.

Moreover, the lack of water supply to houses in the middle of freakin Baghdad is just shocking while the never lasting than 2 hours electricity is another thing to look into.

Yet when you take all things into consideration there is a part of Iraq that really blossomed after the invasion and that is the Kurd north where now it's considered the business and tourism main attraction to both Iraqi's and business men from around the globe. The Kurd area turned the table from being a poor, starving area to one wealthy mainland in the new Iraq but that's about it as the rest of Iraqi's are suffering and have been so since 2003 that some would argue that the twelve years under the allied siege was like a walk in a park.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
That would never work in Iraq. Having so much division in their country over religion makes people even more attached than ever to what has become more than simply faith but a big family they're part of that would defend him/her whenever in danger or trouble.

Maybe when things calm down a little a change could happen but until then your picture of Iraq simply doesn't fit the frame ATM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)