Iraq. Is it better now?? (AKA ISIS/ISIL/IS/name-of-the-week-here) (12 Viewers)

Is Iraq better now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
A lot of people think Nassim Nicholas Taleb is a bit of an arrogant %$@#. I like the guy. He challenges assumptions, even that's what becomes his stereotypical response or statements. (Hey, the guy even thinks TED talks are just getting scientists to dance like monkeys infront of wannabe elites. :tup:)

Yesterday he published a chapter from one of his books on Medium... it's a great read and gets into the politics of intolerance, Daesh, and the West among other things:

The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority
https://medium.com/@nntaled/the-mos...of-the-small-minority-3f1f83ce4e15#.whcxzb8dw

If nothing else, it's at least thought-provoking.
It's a nice article. My objection is that he makes minority influence seem as a scary phenomenon. Many innovations would not have existed if it wasn't for minorities pushing for them. Many important social changes are a result of minority influence (recycling for example). Also, people only scrutinize minority's message if the message is interesting/engaging, otherwise it will be rejected. Halal meat is prevalent not because of minority dictatorship, but because majorities don't see anything wrong with it. A minority that is asking for shariah law to be adopted will never be successful, unless the majority find shariah law interesting. So the most intolerant doesn't necessarily win, unless they have a harmless/interesting message that is appealing to the majority in one way or another.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Nah it's not tyranny because it's business, it makes monetary sense and that's all the sense that really lawyers, all the rest is pompous sophism.
That too, but if that same minority only ate frog meat, frog meat would not have become the only food available in those events, unless the majority were cool with that.

I don't know why you hated it that much, there is an ongoing serious research on this topic. His points are interesting, his tone is bad.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That too, but if that same minority only ate frog meat, frog meat would not have become the only food available in those events, unless the majority were cool with that.

I don't know why you hated it that much, there is an ongoing serious research on this topic. His points are interesting, his tone is bad.

I have my reasons :D jk i find his 'findings' superficial and lacking real analysis, it reminds me of those silly psych -101 group think examples. We are way more complex than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)