introduction (1 Viewer)

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
Jan 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Yes I did watch Arsenal play many times last year, and they were probably the most exciting team in the world during their run. However, that does not make them the best.

Of course I concur that Arsenal was the best team in England last season, nobody can deny that. However I just do not agree with people who say Arsenal is the best team in the world when they were inconsistent in Europe and somehow lost to Chelsea, a team that had not beaten them seven times before. The best overall team in my book last year was Porto, because of the players they had and how they won the CL. Of this is all opinions anyway, but I would go with Porto for the title we're talking about here.
yeah but I never said they were the best in the world, I never say that about any team because its impossible to know. You disagree with a table based on statistics, when during that time Arsenal were the best team statistically and therefore deserved to be top of that table. Its silly. And they were even not that bad in that CL. They whipped Inter once around, could have beaten Chelsea and who knows what would have happened from there. Them winning the CL that year was certainly not out of the question.

So in that year where Arsenal the best team in the world? Its certainly not alien.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Yes I did watch Arsenal play many times last year, and they were probably the most exciting team in the world during their run. However, that does not make them the best.

Of course I concur that Arsenal was the best team in England last season, nobody can deny that. However I just do not agree with people who say Arsenal is the best team in the world when they were inconsistent in Europe and somehow lost to Chelsea, a team that had not beaten them seven times before. The best overall team in my book last year was Porto, because of the players they had and how they won the CL. Of this is all opinions anyway, but I would go with Porto for the title we're talking about here.
you still havent responded to my post.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++

yeah but I never said they were the best in the world, I never say that about any team because its impossible to know. You disagree with a table based on statistics, when during that time Arsenal were the best team statistically and therefore deserved to be top of that table. Its silly. And they were even not that bad in that CL. They whipped Inter once around, could have beaten Chelsea and who knows what would have happened from there. Them winning the CL that year was certainly not out of the question.

So in that year where Arsenal the best team in the world? Its certainly not alien.
However, you stated yourself that the matches against Inter are not evidence for this point. When Arsenal was going unbeaten in England they were beaten by Inter 3-0 at Highbury, so you could argue that since Inter beat the "best team in the world due to standings" the Nerazzurri are therefore the best team in the world because they beat the former best team in the world. So was Inter the best team in the world after they beat Arsenal? Nope. See how this does not make much sense? Of course all of this is opinion, but its difficult to label teams the best in the world when they have bad results against other clubs in the CL.

The best team in the world in my book is one that gets the job done at home and in Europe. But I do concur with you that it's rather difficult to actually tell which team is the best in the world.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
i remember stating that Arsenal were the best team in europe but at that time of the season we were unbeaten and we were in the Quarter finals of the CL so we were at that time the strongest team in europe.
In the round of 16 you played Celta Vigo, correct? Celta Vigo were languishing at the bottom of the La Liga table when you played them and if I remember correctly your performances were not as good as that in the EPL.

And yes, you stated many times that Arsenal was the best team in the world. Glad to see you made a U-turn with your statement. :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

In the round of 16 you played Celta Vigo, correct? Celta Vigo were languishing at the bottom of the La Liga table when you played them and if I remember correctly your performances were not as good as that in the EPL.
but statisticly we were easily the best team in europe at that time no matter who we played in the round 16.

And yes, you stated many times that Arsenal was the best team in the world. Glad to see you made a U-turn with your statement. :D
since the time when we got eliminated from the CL by Chelsea i said nothing of the sort.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

but statisticly we were easily the best team in europe at that time no matter who we played in the round 16.
Who you play and how you play seems to be the best way of finding out the best teams in the world in the middle of the season.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002

The golden boot is often awarded to forwards who play in lesser leagues and score goals by the truckload.Its a similar situation with Arsenal.If Fiorentina were playing in the Belgian league they'd probably have the best statistics in Europe too.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
its not like that,the EPL i dont care how much its overrated but you guys know it as much as iknow it it is in the same league as the serie a.so the belgian league example is irrelevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)