Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (157 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Everything Pirlo wrote about ADP in his book:

Alessandro Del Piero gets where I’m coming from. It’s only on his face that I’ve seen the same sort of
look that disfigures mine during the pre-match warm-up. His last year at Juventus sticks in my mind as
a kind of sporting agony; the drawn out death of an intense love that’s destined to disappear, second
by second, piece by piece, until it’s nothing but one-way affection. And if there’s only fondness on
one side, the whole thing becomes a bit pointless.
He wasn’t playing and he was suffering as a result. It was eating him up inside, and that
unhappiness was obvious on the exterior. He looked like he wanted to smash up the world and
everything in it: his face said it all about the horror he was living.
He tried to disguise his true feelings, but couldn’t quite pull it off. In this life, you’re either a man
or an actor, there’s nothing in between. Alessandro’s attempt to put on a brave face proved pretty
terrible and, as such, the example he set was priceless. He’s a one-off and the same guy now he’s
always been. The fact that Sydney’s a 24-hour flight from Turin hasn’t changed him one bit. He’s a
champion at home and abroad.
He suffered like crazy sitting on the bench that final year. Not letting him near a ball was the worst
kind of punishment for him. He had a full season of being sent to bed with no dinner and no No.10.
All he got was a pair of black-and-white striped pyjamas without a name on the back. The classic
garb of a prisoner who hasn’t been put to death but is condemned to permanent exile.
Never once did Alessandro complain in front of his team-mates; he always showed great dignity.
You wouldn’t see much of him in the dressing room during the week – he had his own personal
trainer to put him through his paces because, after all, the perfect engine deserves special care and
attention. In the mornings, he’d always arrive before everyone else, get changed and hole himself up
in a little gym a few metres along from the one used by the rest of the squad. He’d join the main group
only when the balls appeared and it was time to work on the technical stuff. When we needed him, he
was there, and we were very aware of his presence. We were all pretty sad that a true champion like
him had to leave, particularly when the team (his team) had just started winning again.
Even though we knew how the story would end, it was still upsetting. After all, we’re talking about
one of the most historic standard bearers in Juventus history. And when I say historic, I’m talking
about his influence as well as his age.
I don’t know exactly what went on between him and president Agnelli. I couldn’t tell you which
internal mechanism stopped working or what little bug got into the system – I’ve never thought it
appropriate to ask. I’ve got huge respect for both men, and there must be a valid reason for them
having reached the end of the line. It’s purely their business, a private matter that all started with
differing views on a contract extension that never actually materialised.
It’s a shame really, because Del Piero still had plenty to offer Juventus. A guy like him is always
going to come in handy. Great people and exemplary professionals are the sort of folks I’d want at my
side 24 hours a day and Alessandro is both those things.
It’s not by chance that he’s had such a world-class career. Even in those latter days, he’d still put
on a masterclass of nobility whenever he got some game-time. The very essence of beauty presented
in summary form: a few pages, a brief look, and you’d learned the lesson. Those moments were his chance to become a child again, even if he wasn’t far away from hitting 40. More than once, he cried
in front of everyone, holding nothing back. Just as a kid would, in fact.
After his penultimate appearance in a Juventus jersey (a home game against Atalanta in May 2012),
he was finally overwhelmed by all the emotions he’d managed to keep a lid on up till then. His ego,
his desire to be involved, that need to feel like a true bianconero. He flooded the dressing room with
tears, and we did the same, both with him and for him. And then we said goodbye before he headed
off to Sydney.
Alessandro chose the other side of the world to start over and carry on his career. It couldn’t have
gone any other way, really. If he’d stayed in Italy or moved to another league close by, he’d have just
ended up feeling terribly homesick. Juventus is an almost physical attraction for him: it’s like putting
one magnet next to another.
Thanks to my pathological devotion to the Italy jersey, people say I’m a player who belongs to
everyone. Sometimes I’ll find opposition fans applauding me when we play on the road. Del Piero
went one step further: supporters of other teams put him on a pedestal because he was a one-club
man. They loved his dedication; the fact that he’d married a cause and stayed faithful, becoming
something more than a mere footballer, as well as one of the all-time greats.
Earning that sort of reaction is nothing short of miraculous in an age when Juventus have started
winning again and are thus widely disliked.
Grande.

Oh, and Fuck AA of course

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
"If he’d stayed in Italy or moved to another league close by, he’d have just ended up feeling terribly homesick. Juventus is an almost physical attraction for him: it’s like putting one magnet next to another"

this part melted me

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Grande.

Oh, and Fuck AA of course
Agnelli made the right decision there. He let ADP to stay for one more year and then leave afterwards as a champion, but it was his time, like it was for many before.

Little respect for AA, the guy with whom this club returned to its former glory, and who's been doing tremendous work behind the scenes, promoting Juventus on every occasion, getting the lucrative sponsors...Forza Juve and I hope to see Alex right beside Nedved one day.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Agnelli made the right decision there. He let ADP to stay for one more year and then leave afterwards as a champion, but it was his time, like it was for many before.

Little respect for AA, the guy with whom this club returned to its former glory, and who's been doing tremendous work behind the scenes, promoting Juventus on every occasion, getting the lucrative sponsors...Forza Juve and I hope to see Alex right beside Nedved one day.
Thats the thing.

IN one hand...Agnelli has done a marvelous job in instilling into players and board whats this team is all about. He comes from a family that gave its all for the team, and he is totally commited t do the same, and to not let outsiders diminish us in anyway. He is definitely guiding the team where ti should be headed... and after the Cobolli giggli and secco horrors, Andrea is a blessing send to us. I definitelt prefer a president like him in comparison with The berluscas and Morattis of the world.

BUT, on the other hand.... his biggest taint in his juve career is and will always be the Del Piero saga.
Until himself , or delpiero goes out and talks about this (will not happen), we will never know for sure what went on.... but whatever the reason, i think there could have been a solution that pleased both parties...and not only Juventus as a team. Its obvious that Del Piero deserved much more. We are talking about a "one in a lifetime" player.... not an average Joe that comes and go.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
So much bitterness. Making excuses :howler: I bet even Del Piero himself has already let it go, but some guys just wanna be negative for the sake of it. The club has moved on, and kept moving forward, and so has Alex. If AA made a Mistake, I am sure he probably regrets it and has learnt from it.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
but the question remains, AA sacks Alex, and now wants him back in management or Alex expects that this is the natural move from him? I am so confused. How can AA want him off the pitch but wants him with the team in the stands??

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
No, the mistake was forcing him out against his will.
That was pure blasphemy.
At one point you have to make a decision and Del Piero was unwilling to leave on his own. To bench him permanently, as he wasnt able to give important contribution anymore week in week out, would prove to be very difficult, he is too big of a character for the role of a part time player and he would suffer. Imho good decision was made, releasing 38 yo Alex after he was given opportunity to become a champion once more, but to each his own I guess.

Aug 17, 2007
From a recent article:

"Former Juventus and Italy star Del Piero not only captains Sydney but leads the team for goals, shots on and off target, assists, dribbles attempted and fouls won. Among the six teams set to contest the 2013-14 finals, there surely can't be another team more dependent on one player".

Nice stats. I can't wait for tomorrow. First time I'm really nervous before Sydney game.

dann10

Ho visto Del Piero
Aug 26, 2008
No, the mistake was forcing him out against his will.
That was pure blasphemy.
bingo

- - - Updated - - -

If AA forced out del piero and got huge stars the year after then at least you can understand that the club was looking to add some youth and speed, but we went for Bendtner and Anelka.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 153)