Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (35 Viewers)

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
because goal.com told you so
Not really. I just dont let my support for Juve and Ale blind me completely. Ronaldo has a whole different set of attributes compared to the young ale so comparing them wont be fair. Messi however somewhat shares the same style and he is just better at it. I'd only favor post-injury Ale's freekicks to any other player including Pirlo.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I seriously doubt that a pre-injury del piero was better than Messi and Ronaldo.
Pre injury Del Piero was better. Because he came from an era where defences were masterfull. When teams could still defend as a unit . When defenders were masters at standing/sliding tackles and anticipating and covering.

Messi bursts at a defender, uses extreme agility to skip past, on to the next. ronaldo uses speed. That wouldnt have worked back then. You had stoppers and defenders that could position, and make a crushing standing tackle that you couldnt get past.
Only way past such defenders, was by putting them on the wrong foot. sublime trickery, genious moves.

Pre Injury del piero could carve open world class defences. Messi is marked by a 37year old nesta and never seen again. Ronaldo would admit he's actually dolan when facing Maldini's impressive positionning.

No, pre injury del piero was better. He might not absolutely demolish the shit and the crap (such as current defences), but he would make the diffrence in the big games.

But Pre-injury Ronaldo, was even better. Both players in the same team, without the injuries, would have formed the best striker partnership in history. Put zidane behind that, and you get a team that would have won more CL's in 8 years, then Milan in 25.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
But Pre-injury Ronaldo, was even better. Both players in the same team, without the injuries, would have formed the best striker partnership in history. Put zidane behind that, and you get a team that would have won more CL's in 8 years, then Milan in 25.
This. it scares me even to think of it...

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
-Put again the best 4 defenders in modern history. Put the best two holding midfielders in front that can synergise with it. Add something lovely offensive in front of it.

Messi and Ronaldo(7) wont kick a shit all game, because they wont find the space behind the defenders like they do now. Tiki taki would die even more horrible then it did against bayern munchen.

However, pre injury del piero and ronaldo(9), and 1998-2002 zidane behind it, would carve it open. Fuck it, Ronaldo alone would carve it open.

Remember that 37y/o Nesta that manmarked messi with such ease ? Watch 1998 uefa cup final, and see him beeing 24 year old in a extremely good lazio side, getting utterly destroyed 3-0 against an much weaker inter. But Inter had Ronaldo, who made Nesta look like an amateur at times

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Pre injury Del Piero was better. Because he came from an era where defences were masterfull. When teams could still defend as a unit . When defenders were masters at standing/sliding tackles and anticipating and covering.

Messi bursts at a defender, uses extreme agility to skip past, on to the next. ronaldo uses speed. That wouldnt have worked back then. You had stoppers and defenders that could position, and make a crushing standing tackle that you couldnt get past.
Only way past such defenders, was by putting them on the wrong foot. sublime trickery, genious moves.

Pre Injury del piero could carve open world class defences. Messi is marked by a 37year old nesta and never seen again. Ronaldo would admit he's actually dolan when facing Maldini's impressive positionning.

No, pre injury del piero was better. He might not absolutely demolish the $#@! and the crap (such as current defences), but he would make the diffrence in the big games.

Messi is the much better dribbler, the much better finisher, better passer, higher stamina, better set piece taker, better positioning.. attribute by attribute Messi wins by a margin.
While Messi plays against weaker defenses compared to the young Ale (though one match is no sample), his stats are also significantly better than anything del piero ever did including that awesome single season. So for arguments sake I'll consider the vast difference in stats as down to the difference in the quality of defenses but still Messi is better in terms of attributes. The young Ale could have reached messi's level had he not been injured but peak messi is definitely superior to the young ale the way he was.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Messi gets shut down by a proper man marker. They arent around anymore. In del piero's era, especially before his 26, every decent team had at least one great man market.

In modern football, fancy passing, technique and physical skills bring you all the way. The genious is out of the game. The brilliance.

Back in the day, that was far from enough. Defences would cope with it. You needed players that had that genious.

I have yet to see messi play a good game against an italian opponent that has a decent team. A pathetic poor milan team killed barcelona at home and shut up messi.

You can go look up every single fucking game. But find me ONE game where Ronaldo(9) (pre-injury) ever got marked out of the game ?

And thats not against the hello kitty defenders that messi has to joke about. That was Calcio at the top of its reign

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Messi is the much better dribbler, the much better finisher, better passer, higher stamina, better set piece taker, better positioning.. attribute by attribute Messi wins by a margin.
While Messi plays against weaker defenses compared to the young Ale (though one match is no sample), his stats are also significantly better than anything del piero ever did including that awesome single season. So for arguments sake I'll consider the vast difference in stats as down to the difference in the quality of defenses but still Messi is better in terms of attributes. The young Ale could have reached messi's level had he not been injured but peak messi is definitely superior to the young ale the way he was.
Set pieces? Seriously? How many free kicks has Messi scored, penalties or assisted from the corner kick? How good is the technique of his shot? The curve? No, no, Ale wins this one, and not by margin.

Ale is better dribbler as well. Messi doesn't have that kind of ingenuity. I'd give him finishing and stamina.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Messi has excellent ball controll, finishing and extreme agility. Because the great defenders and manmarkers are gone, that is enough.

I remember those dribbeling runs Baggio, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Del Piero, and even Zidane (usually a controll and trick to put 4 players out of position), used to make. That was true dribbeling as it was meant to be

Seriously. I wonder if Messi would even survive one half against Jaap stam or a younger nesta.

Del Piero

Mostly check the stuff before 2000. After the injury he had lost much acceleration and agility, effectively became a diffrent player. Still Bossmode career.

Ronaldo

Check the stuff from barcelona, psv, and inter. The player that couldnt possibly be marked. And his teams were not that great. But he made them great

One of the most impressive stuff from then, is how they could escape incredibly good defenders, just by their controll or first touch, creating space for themselves and dislocating the defensive formation. Wich one touch.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Have u ever seen Messi dribble past an opponent by any other trick than running past him? Has he ever juggled the ball past him? Has he ever used his backheel? DP has a move named after him by UEFA ffs, Zidane has a trademark move as well

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
On the other hand messi is able to dribble a whole fucking team on his own and score. Messi is efficient.. his dribbles dont look pretty but he is the most effective.

@DelPiero84 I think the current messi is better than the YOUNG Ale at freekicks not the old.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
@Hist

I've seen plenty of young DP's free kicks and the curve the ball always had on these was magnificent, out of this world; goal vs Monaco in the semis, Bologna 97/98 at home, Milan, etc.. Messi can't pull that, doesn't have that kind of shooting technique. When discussing the technique of the shooting, do you remember the zona of Del Piero? When he would shoot from the edge of a box into a top right corner. Some stunning goals he has managed to score in his younger days, just to name a few: 95/96 in the CL vs Steaua, Dortmund, season later vs Lazio, Napoli (iirc)...

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
@Hist

I've seen plenty of young DP's free kicks and the curve the ball always had on these was magnificent, out of this world; goal vs Monaco in the semis, Bologna 97/98 at home, Milan, etc.. Messi can't pull that, doesn't have that kind of shooting technique. When discussing the technique of the shooting, do you remember the zona of Del Piero? When he would shoot from the edge of a box into a top right corner. Some stunning goals he has managed to score in his younger days, just to name a few: 95/96 in the CL vs Steaua, Dortmund, season later vs Lazio, Napoli (iirc)...
You have an incredible memory.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
About the Messi vs DP argument...

IMO in the thing that Messi is better than DP and the thing that makes Messi the effective monster he is.... is that Messi KNOWS how to score with unreal consistency. I think he has even memorized imaginary paths he uses in games to make the same runs and the same goals with such effectiveness. His dribbling consist if quick burst of speed and fast direction turns and has a godly aim. This is why he is so lethal after the 3/4 of the field.

Him and Cristiano Ronaldo are monsters on their own in this regard. Even against so called inferior defenders... they just score from anywhere.

But DP and Zidane, even when they were not the scoring machines Messi and Cronaldo are..... they were geniuses on their own league. The most pure genius you can get in football.
They practically made art with their feet. I saw Del Piero and Zidane improvise soooooo much shid and being effective as fuck. They were masters of football. Geniuses.

I dont know how to express this with words, but their genius was somethign else. Cronaldo and Messi are fast as light, and experts in what they do. But in terms of sheer talent an improvisation...DP and Zidane are unmatched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)