Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (243 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
So, Ale played 90 minutes for the first time since he got injured in the derby, and Sydney's match @MelbourneV ended in 1:1. Highlights:

He had a FK stopped by the opponent's hand, but the ref didn't give a PK. In the second half he tried and overhead kick, and it almost ended with an assist.

Two matches left, both home, vs. Perth and Wellington. Sydney must make it to the playoffs. Now they're one point ahead of the Jets, however the later play vs. Perth in few hours.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Del Piero is a joy to watch, zidane was as well. I never had that entertainment with messi or even Ronaldo. They are amazing players but they lack that magic, that art.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
About the Messi vs DP argument...

IMO in the thing that Messi is better than DP and the thing that makes Messi the effective monster he is.... is that Messi KNOWS how to score with unreal consistency. I think he has even memorized imaginary paths he uses in games to make the same runs and the same goals with such effectiveness. His dribbling consist if quick burst of speed and fast direction turns and has a godly aim. This is why he is so lethal after the 3/4 of the field.

Him and Cristiano Ronaldo are monsters on their own in this regard. Even against so called inferior defenders... they just score from anywhere.

But DP and Zidane, even when they were not the scoring machines Messi and Cronaldo are..... they were geniuses on their own league. The most pure genius you can get in football.
They practically made art with their feet. I saw Del Piero and Zidane improvise soooooo much shid and being effective as fuck. They were masters of football. Geniuses.

I dont know how to express this with words, but their genius was somethign else. Cronaldo and Messi are fast as light, and experts in what they do. But in terms of sheer talent an improvisation...DP and Zidane are unmatched.
Let me conclude it like this

Messi and Ronaldo are perfection against modern pathetic poor defences, but would be "decent" in the era of excellent defenders.

ZIdane and Del Piero arent as monsterous scoring machines against such defences, however they would make a huge diffrence against excellent defensive units.

Ronaldo de lima navario luiz would be a monster against weak defences, and still unstoppable against excellent defences.

- - - Updated - - -

Del Piero is a joy to watch, zidane was as well. I never had that entertainment with messi or even Ronaldo. They are amazing players but they lack that magic, that art.
If you watch compilations of ale, zidane, ronaldo... The art they create with their feet is beyond amazing. The genius moves. How they could break a defence wide open with a single move, i so severely miss this in modern footballl.

Long shots from ronaldo, and pro evolution soccer dribbeling from messi. It just isnt the same

- - - Updated - - -

if you were watching football before 2000, you knew that this very image, would bring horrific dreams to the most legendary defenders, and put admirors of football in pure extacey

Aug 17, 2007
Exactly. They are efficient, but boring.

Football is changing, there are no longer artists and magicians on the pitch, only machines. We'll keep missing the 90's players for the rest of our lives IMO.

Aug 17, 2007
I'd say iniesta is the closest player to have that art. Gonna be another sad day when totti and pirlo retire
If only Gourcuff had the mentality to realize his potential. At his best, he really looked like Zidane. It's amazing that just after the later retired, another player that moves just like him came up. Too bad that's the only thing to remembmer from his career so far:

- - - Updated - - -

Messi & Ronaldo are boring. :rofl:
:rofl:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Messi & Ronaldo are boring. :rofl:
For me they are. I'm not interested in Barcelona or Madrid games, and especially not the classico.

When you come from a time spoiled by zidane, del piero, ronaldo(9), rivaldo, figo, rivaldo,... playing their magic against legendary defenders, its just not the same.
I can get really annoyed by seeing horrible defending.

And what the fuck happened to the art of dribbeling, stepovers, fake chops, elastico's, cutbacks, roll-overs,marseille roulette, that would send defenders the wrong way, often see them stumbeling as the performer bursts past. That, was exciting. Seeing pirlo float around, twisting and turning out of problems, that is lovely to watch

If only Gourcuff had the mentality to realize his potential. At his best, he really looked like Zidane. It's amazing that just after the later retired, another player that moves just like him came up. Too bad that's the only thing to remembmer from his career so far:

I remember beeing hyped about him so much after seeing that goal. Very reminding of the good times

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
oh here look, I found videos of messi beating nesta and cannavaro too

I think some people are over rating the past too much and under rating the current time a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

on the other hand, messi never did things like this :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 233)