Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (38 Viewers)

kronos

Aug 16, 2011
No disrespecting Baggio here man but he brought them to the final and then missed the most crucial penalty in his career. He will be rememberd for that miss, not for his amazing talent and ponytail.
If you ask random people Baggio, 95% will say that penalty miss vs Brasil.
That means nothing. The point is, not what people who haven't watched him play remember him for. The point is, who was actually better.
I cannot express an opinion because I was too young when Baggio was killing it in Italy though.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
That means nothing. The point is, not what people who haven't watched him play remember him for. The point is, who was actually better.
I cannot express an opinion because I was too young when Baggio was killing it in Italy though.
Then how can you define better?
Baggio was important for any team he played in and scored many goals. Different time different players.
The same can be said for DP. Was owning Serie A and let defenders slide to the other side just for the fun of it.

Both are legends imo. but to call one of them better then the other. hmm difficult, very difficult.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero is absolute class, probably the nicest man you could meet in football, as humble as they come.

But more talented? Come on, lets not mince words, Baggio was superior by far, ask any non Juventini who was better between the pair & most people would instantly say Baggio. As he said himself, everything he done in the game he did with one and a half legs.
I was referring to his classy approach with the ball on the field and not off it :smile:

Superior by far? Lets say we are both biased but I wouldn't say Ale is superior by far whereas you would.

Del Piero 93-98 puts any player in his pocket from the last 20-30years. I believe if not for Udine injury he would have been the best player to ever step on a football pitch IMO. (To me he is already though).

And lets be honest, Baggio couldn't play on a high level at the age of 36-37 like Ale did.

They're both champions, both beautifully talented but Ale got and had more. Baggio's only highlight over Del Piero would be 1994 USA. That's not enough.

kronos

Aug 16, 2011
Baggio was important for any team he played in and scored many goals. Different time different players.
The same can be said for DP. Was owning Serie A and let defenders slide to the other side just for the fun of it.

Both are legends imo. but to call one of them better then the other. hmm difficult, very difficult.
Ok I agree with your points.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
We've been very lucky as we've had Boniperti, Scirea and Del Piero. All three class acts.

I don't think we've ever get players as classy as them again.
Buffon

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know for sure how many free kicks del piero scored in his entire career in official matches (for club and country)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
has baggio scored a FK with a different technique than he usually uses, has Baggio scored tons of goals with his left, has Baggio won Cappocannoniere? Has Baggio made as many assists as DP (one with a bycicle kick in the most decisive match of the season against one of the old great rivals who had best defense at the time)? Has DP ever choked a PK?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
has baggio scored a FK with a different technique than he usually uses, has Baggio scored tons of goals with his left, has Baggio won Cappocannoniere? Has Baggio made as many assists as DP (one with a bycicle kick in the most decisive match of the season against one of the old great rivals who had best defense at the time)? Has DP ever choked a PK?
DP has choked PKs. The one against A.Villa comes to mind.

joannawon

Jul 16, 2012
Pippo Inzaghi achieved more than Baggio did. Winning medals isn't indicative of a players ability.

Del Piero is the greatest Juve player of all time, not even up for debate, but as far as who is the best player on that list, again it's not even up for debate. Baggio is hands down better than all of them. By quite the distance.

Mancini was a very good player in his prime.
Maybe Baggio is better for you , but not for me, you can vote for him though,but you cannot decide other people's love.
you can hardly compare two different-times players, if you say goals are not important, medals are not important, then for professional player what is important???
yeah, Baggio is your hero,I respect that, but DP is god to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Del Piero is absolute class, probably the nicest man you could meet in football, as humble as they come.

But more talented? Come on, lets not mince words, Baggio was superior by far, ask any non Juventini who was better between the pair & most people would instantly say Baggio. As he said himself, everything he done in the game he did with one and a half legs.

If you are old enough to have seen all four of them play (don't know why Pirlo is on that list though), you would know why Baggio was better. When Serie A was the greatest and most competitive league in the history of football, Baggio was tearing teams apart, for fun. Scoring mind boggling goals from every angle on the pitch, as everyone knows he dragged a mundane Italy side to the final of the 1994 World Cup, which neither DP or Totti ever did.
Baggio never brings Juventus a Serie-A champion until DP came. It's a fact.
He dragged italy to the finals and missed that famous penalty. It's a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's a matter of "who is better", it's more like " which one is you like better"
I think votes don't lie.
I am not saying ALE is better than Baggio, just I like Ale much more .

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Del Piero 93-98 puts any player in his pocket from the last 20-30years. I believe if not for Udine injury he would have been the best player to ever step on a football pitch IMO. (To me he is already though).
Del Piero from 95-98 came very close to being near Baggio's level, then the injury happened and he was never the same player after that (albeit a very good one).

And lets be honest, Baggio couldn't play on a high level at the age of 36-37 like Ale did.
I don't know how much of your history you know on him, but we were lucky to even have seen him at all. His injury at Vicenza when he was 18 nearly ended his career (he snapped all the ligaments in his right knee), by the end of his career he could only run in straight lines. His body gave up on him, he didn't give up on football. As he said himself, he was only ever 100% fit 3 or 4 games a season, every season. It would have been scary to think what he could have done on the field had he been 100% fit for most of the season

They're both champions, both beautifully talented but Ale got and had more. Baggio's only highlight over Del Piero would be 1994 USA. That's not enough.
I think you're forgetting Italia '90 and France '98 where Baggio excelled in, Del Piero played in twice as many international tournaments as Baggio did and did absolutely nothing in all of them in comparison to what Baggio had previously done. France '98 was supposed to be DP's coronation as one of the best players in the world (and in that season leading up to it, he was), but when it came to it he didn't show up, Baggio upstaged him and many have said since then had Baggio started against France in the QF, Italy would have went through.

If it had have been Baggio racing through on goal instead of DP in the Final of Euro 2000, it would be a safe bet to say Italy would have walked away with the trophy and not France.

Oh and i'll just throw in the 1993 Balon d'Or too ;)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
]Del Piero from 95-98 came very close to being near Baggio's level[/B], then the injury happened and he was never the same player after that (albeit a very good one).
I rest my case here.

The type of goals Ale scored in his career Baggio never accomplished half of them in all honesty.

And stop saying Ale never delivered for the Azzurri, he did in 2000 just like Baggio did in 1994, they both failed in the final though.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
You sure about that? :)
I am, look it up, he has a 86% conversion rate, better than anyone IIRC (unless Totti has recently broken the record).

Scored in the semi final shoot out in Italia '90, pen vs Nigeria in USA '94, pen vs Chile in the France '98 opener and in the QF shoot out.

rest my case here.

The type of goals Ale scored in his career Baggio never accomplished half of them in all honesty.

And stop saying Ale never delivered for the Azzurri, he did in 2000 just like Baggio did in 1994, they both failed in the final though.
I'm sorry but that is complete nonsense, I'm starting to think you're either too young or have never seen much of Baggio. Baggio was famous for scoring goals of every type of variety; free kicks, dribbles, dinks, headers, bicycle kicks, right/left foot, tap ins etc. Christ he even scored from a corner vs Leece once.

As for the Azzurri, you can't be serious in comparing what Alex did in 2000 to Baggio in 1994, He scored one goal vs Sweden, in the group stage. Baggio scored five goals, all in the knockout rounds. Baggio has been the only player since Maradona to single handedly drag a team to the final of a World Cup.

Euro 2000 was Totti's tournament (from an Italy perspective). Del Piero was a bit part player, and then a villain for fluffing 2 gilt edge chances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)