Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (147 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
has Baggio ever been CL top scorer? How many goals does he have in CL anyway? Has he scored with his heel (a dozen times)? Is there a goal and a dribble named after him?

PS just for the record I love and respect Baggio just like every Juventino should.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I'm not saying he doesn't have the best conversion rate, but it would be cool to look up the numbers, do you have a link maybe?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
As for the Azzurri, you can't be serious in comparing what Alex did in 2000 to Baggio in 1994, He scored one goal vs Sweden, in the group stage. Baggio scored five goals, all in the knockout rounds. Baggio has been the only player since Maradona to single handedly drag a team to the final of a World Cup.

Euro 2000 was Totti's tournament (from an Italy perspective). Del Piero was a bit part player, and then a villain for fluffing 2 gilt edge chances.
Seems that you haven't watched Netherlands vs Italy when Del Piero played in Zambrotta's position after he got a red card. And against the Romanian team.

I've seen almost all Baggio's goals, no comparison to Del Piero's.

Del Piero has scored over 3 backheel goals, one of them in the final CL, the other he pulled it on air after Nedved's freekick vs Roma.
Del Piero has scored most freekicks in European competitions and is on par with Senisa Mihaj in Serie A but Del Piero scored more crucial ones than him vs Roma, Inter and Milan mostly.
Del Piero decided Scudetti matches, Fiorentina match and the double-kick assist comes to mind.
He got standing ovation from the two of the greatest clubs fans in the world, Bernabue and Old trafford.
He even has a Zona Del Piero type of goal named after him.

If Juve were little bit lucky in finals, just little bit, he would have had CL and Serie A more than any player in the history of this sport.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
I'm not saying he doesn't have the best conversion rate, but it would be cool to look up the numbers, do you have a link maybe?
It's in here mate

http://www.stpauls.it/gio/1147gi/tommiGi.html

There's no number of other players but it says Baggio has scored 68 pens in Serie A, 108 including cups and national teams.

has Baggio ever been CL top scorer? How many goals does he have in CL anyway? Has he scored with his heel (a dozen times). Is there a goal and a dribble named after him?
Seriously? That's what your resorting too? Ruud Van Nistelrooy was top goalscorer in the CL, by your logic he's a better striker than Ronaldo and Batistuta.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
It's in here mate

http://www.stpauls.it/gio/1147gi/tommiGi.html

There's no number of other players but it says Baggio has scored 68 pens in Serie A, 108 including cups and national teams.

Seriously? That's what your resorting too? Ruud Van Nistelrooy was top goalscorer in the CL, by your logic he's a better striker than Ronaldo and Batistuta.
it means he is more stable and constant and almost on the same level.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Baggio was at the right clubs at the wrong times in an era where only the top 1 or 2 teams got through to the CL. That has nothing to do with his ability.

Aug 17, 2007
Just to make things clear about 1994- Baggio had a great tournament, but it means only 3 good matches. He didn't show up for the group stage (and didn't score) and Italy almost didn't make it to the second round. Sacchi even took him out after 20\30 mintues vs. Norway (Sacchi wasn't too smart, but still). Then he saved Italy's ass vs. Nigeria and won Spain and Bulgaria. He was great, but it was only 3 matches. Zidane's influence lasted more in 2006 (yet, he failed in the final too, in a different way), and Ronaldo's 98 and 2002 WC were more impressive IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Baggio was at the right clubs at the wrong times in an era where only the top 1 or 2 teams got through to the CL. That has nothing to do with his ability.
I think Baggio suffered too many injuries and fought with too many coaches. That's why his club career was wasted a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

His injury at Vicenza when he was 18 nearly ended his career (he snapped all the ligaments in his right knee), by the end of his career he could only run in straight lines.
That's interesting. Can you tell more?

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I had an argument with my Interista brother about who scored the most Free-kicks of all time and he got me some statistic that I think is wrong that Del Piero only scored 22 free-kicks. That has got to be wrong. My bet is that Ale scored more than Sinisia Mihalovic and his bet is the opposite. Can someone provide the numbers?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero is demonstrating CLASS. :touched:

- - - Updated - - -

1-0 for Sydney

It's not sure if Del Piero scored because the ball got deflected, I think it hit Del Piero and went in :D

- - - Updated - - -

2-0 Sydney

I'm shocked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 145)