Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (57 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Yeah, they talked a bit about it during the match. Amazing. I hope he'll be ready for CCM on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Superstar Alessandro Del Piero almost missed Sydney FC's A-League win over Perth due to hamstring worries but he insists there isn't a problem.

Del Piero scored for the third successive week in the come-from-behind 2-1 win at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, converting a second-half penalty won by fellow marquee star Brett Emerton.

It wasn't the finest performance of Del Piero's time in the A-League so far and he appeared to tire late in the match.

But amid pre-match concerns that the Italian needed to rest, it was an admirable showing as he soldiered on for another 90-minute performance.

"I had a problem with the hamstrings. Both, especially the left, and it's been a hard week for me," Del Piero said.

"... But I'm really happy today because I play 90 minutes, score and win."

Sydney coach Ian Crook asked Del Piero if he wanted to come from the field in the second half but the 37-year-old was having none of it.

"Especially after the goal, I'm feeling good and I want to fight and play again and win the game," Del Piero said.

"That's why I said to him 'I'm OK'."

Del Piero did not believe he needed to give his body a rest and said he would be close to full fitness for next Saturday's clash with Central Coast in Gosford.

The former Juventus striker had animated discussions with some of Sydney's staff and players after the match, saying he still felt they had a lot to work on.

"We can improve, that's why," he said.

"We can improve and be better and that's why all of us have to do better than we do now."

With three goals from four games, Del Piero's Sydney FC career has started brilliantly but he said his focus was on getting wins rather than improving his personal goal tally.

- - - Updated - - -

Del Piero, playing his 800th match, probably had his worst game for the Sky Blues since arriving in Australia two months ago but revealed later that he almost missed the game because of concerns over tightness in both hamstrings.

The former Italy and Juventus star clearly was not at his best yesterday, struggling at times to get into the match. His passing was not up to its usual high standards, his running was limited and he was worried off the ball several times by some keen Perth tackling.

Even his penalty, which helped level the scores at 1-1, was far from convincing, coming off the left post before nestling in the net.

"Yes, I almost didn't play. I have problems with my hamstrings, more especially with my left one," Del Piero said. "It has been a hard week for me. I said to you last week I still need two or three more weeks to improve. I feel like I want to work hard but sometimes it is not good for me."

Sydney FC coach Ian Crook told The Australian he was concerned about Del Piero's fitness, but that he wanted to play.

"I don't know how he played today," Crook said, marvelling at the resilience and determination of the man. "I asked him if he wanted to come off at one stage as well, but he was adamant he wanted to stay on. But we will need to monitor his workload."

Even with his issues, Del Piero said he never considered coming off. Despite his problems, Del Piero said he would play against Central Coast next week.

Crook surprised by using Del Piero, who normally plays in the hole behind the strikers, as an out and out striker for the first 20 minutes or so before switching him back to his regular role.

"He has played three 90 minute games and we thought we needed to save his legs," Crook said.

The Australian

joannawon

Jul 16, 2012
I like your smile ,please keep smiling,I sat in front of my computer,saw your game through internet,you work so hard on the pitch,just brought my memory to 2009-2010 when Juve struggled in serie A,you are so devoted,you want not only the goal but the winning,you are the capitano,you take all the responsibilities...then after we won the game(at that time it is hard sometimes),you smiled just like the picture.Some people asked me why I loved you for 14 years,and I want to ask them why I didn't.

Attachments

Aug 17, 2007
The man was spot on when he said he can play till 40.

He can easily play 90min per week in Serie A. Shame on them.
"I don't know how he played today," Crook said, marvelling at the resilience and determination of the man. "I asked him if he wanted to come off at one stage as well, but he was adamant he wanted to stay on. But we will need to monitor his workload."

Aug 17, 2007
Exactly.

Btw, I must say that the thing I love the most about his decision to join Sydney is that I know that as long as he's fit (touch wood) I'll enjoy him week in week out. I mean, If he'd sign for Liverpool, we'd be in the similar situation like the one at Juve- will he start, how much he'll play and all this. And in his last years, I wanna watch him as much as possible, and Sydney offers that. Now, it was hard for me to enjoy Syndey so far, but I enjoy Ale no matter what and watching him plays 90 mintues per match is great. I believe he'll show his best in few weeks and Syndey will get better (with Cullina and the other injured) so we'll enjoy much more. And those who see the stats and think "well, he scores only cause it's Australia", don't know what they're talking about. Right, the A-league sucks, but it doesn't make life easier for Ale. Not only that the players are strong and fast like in Europe, but he has to do all by himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)