Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (98 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Alessandro Del Piero's home debut against Newcastle Jets at Allianz Stadium has created another milestone, with a new regular season average TV audience record for a single match of 164,367.

The previous record TV audience for a regular season match of 162,471 was recorded in Round 1 of the Hyundai A-League 2011/12 Season between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC.

The consolidated average includes “as live” viewing in the week following the live broadcast.

After four rounds, the average TV audience of 94,969 this season is currently tracking for an all-time season average record. Average attendances are currently sitting at 15,460, a 20 per cent increase on the same point in the 2011/12 season.

This increase in average attendance has moved the Hyundai A-league into 14th position on the average attendances for top professional football competitions around the world*, moving the Hyundai A-League from 24th to 14th in just 12 months.

Importantly this also puts the Hyundai A-League third in Asia behind China (Chinese Super League 7th) and Japan (J-League 13th).

In comparison, the current Hyundai A-League average of 15,460 is ahead of both the USA’s Major League Soccer (MLS) and the Republic of Korea’s K-League at the same time in their evolution after eight seasons.

Season 8 also sees the Hyundai A-League on track to see its 10 millionth fan walk through the turnstiles since inception in 2005.

Even more records are tumbling with Club memberships already up on last season’s total Club memberships seeing a year-on-year improvement of 11% from 2011/12 season.

FFA CEO Ben Buckley said the surge in TV audiences and attendances this season was attributable to several key factors .

“There’s no doubt the marquee players Alessandro del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono have ignited massive interest in the Hyundai A-League,” said Buckley. “I congratulate the clubs involved for making the investment in these star players.

“There’s no such thing as overnight success in professional sport, just lots of hard work and strategic planning that sets up success. Much of the credit must go to our 10 member clubs who have built strong membership bases and fan engagement programs over a period of years.

“The arrival of the Western Sydney Wanderers in football’s heartland has added so much to the competition. The Sydney derby, after just one edition, has become one of the most anticipated fixtures.

“The role of our key partners in Hyundai, Fox Sports, Qantas and Optus is also critical in supporting the competition and lifting awareness.

“There’s no doubt that FFA’s 'We Are Football’ marketing campaign has really connected the 1.7 million participants at the grassroots to the great things happening in the Hyundai A-League. Stability remains our top priority, but I can see sustained growth ahead for the A-League.”

ENDS

Ranking of Leagues worldwide

1 Bundesliga (GER) 45,726 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
2 Premier League (ENG) 34,601 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
3 La Liga (ESP) 30,272 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
4 Liga MX (MEX) 25,288 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
5 Serie A (ITA) 23,459 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
6 Eredivisie (NED) 19,516 (as of end of 2011/12 season)
7 Chinese Super League (CHN) 18,928 (as of Aug 2012)
8 Major League Soccer (USA) 18,828 (as of Aug 2012)
9 Coca Cola Championship (ENG 2) 18,824 as of end of 2011/12 season
10 Ligue 1 (FRA) 18,665 as of end of 2011/12 season
11 Primera A Division (ARG) 18,112 as of end of 2011/12 season
12 2. Bundesliga (GER) 17,242 as of end of 2011/12 season
13 J-League (JPN) 17,022 (as of Aug 2012)
14 Hyundai A-League 2012/13 (AUS) 15,460 as of round 4 2012/13
15 Brasileirao (BRA) 14,693 as of end of 2011/12 season
16 Super Lig (TUR) 14,058 (2008)
17 Premier League (SCO) 13,826 as of end of 2011/12 season
18 Premier Liga (RUS) 13,066 as of end of 2011/12 season
19 Axpo Super League (SWI) 12,253 as of end of 2011/12 season
20 Jupiler League (BEL) 11,731 as of end of 2011/12 season
21 K-League (S. KOR) 11,634 (2011 season)
22 Diarum ISL (Indonesia) 11,566 2010-2011 season
23 Liga Zon Sagares (POR) 11,010 as of end of 2011/12 season
24 Hyundai A-League 2011/12 (AUS) 10,496 as of end of 2011/12 season
25 V-League (VTM) 10,208 (2010)
26 Iranian Premier League (IR) 9,700 (2010-2011 Season)

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Don't know if this has been posted before but I just stumbled across it on YouTube..

"Ibra will meet the Juventus of Del Piero, a player who has worn the shirt of the same club for his whole life, just like you dream of doing with Barcelona. What do you think of Del Piero and of his choice?"

Messi: "He is a great player who has given a lot to football, to Juventus and to Italy. I believe he plays a beautiful and clean brand of football. He is a man that you just need to love."

:heart::heart::heart:

Aug 17, 2007
Alessandro del Piero's professionalism and will to win were the reasons behind his extraordinary outburst at the end of last Sunday's 2-1 win over Perth Glory.
Onlookers were stunned when the Italian raced to the Sydney bench as soon as the full-time whistle went and engaged in an arm-waving, finger-pointing rant with Sydney FC goalkeeping coach Zeljko Kalac.

The discussion, in Italian, lasted two minutes and while former Socceroo Kalac was not the focus of the player's rage, it was clear something had upset him.

Sydney FC coach Ian Crook confirmed that the former Italy and Juventus superstar was not happy with the way the side played in the last 15 minutes of the match.

Despite being a man up after Steve Pantelidis had been sent off, the Sky Blues had trouble closing out the game as Perth almost snatched a draw with a couple of late chances. Indeed, Glory was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty with three minutes left after Sydney defender Rhyan Grant handled in his own area.

"Absolutely it had nothing to do with Spider (Kalac). Ale wasn't happy with the way we played in the last 10 minutes of the game when we were in front," said Crook.

"He can see what is going wrong. That (making a point) is what professionals like him do. They get upset with things like that. And that is quality. That's why players like del Piero are winners."

Kalac confirmed Crook's version of events. "He wasn't happy that a couple of players weren't pulling their weight when we were in front," he said.

"That's what a winner does. They get the s****s. That's quality."

Del Piero had calmed down by the time the media got to him 90 minutes after the game.

"We can improve, that's why," he said when asked about the incident," he said.

"We can play better -- all of us, me as well."

Aug 17, 2007
2012-10-30
STICK YOUR TONGUE OUT OR TREAT ?

Already for some years Halloween has become a holiday to celebrate also in Italy and surely kids (and not only) enjoy it a lot.

So, my children are ready to dress up. We are in Australia now and here, the 31st of October is Halloween day, celebrated by all!

This holiday was born in the United States and by now has become popular all over the world, so I imagine I'll be getting your pictures from everywhere.

A new initiative is about to be launched on www.alessandrodelpiero.com, through my SOCIAL NETWORK pages. Are you ready ?

Well, start posting your pictures in Halloween costumes on Twitter (with hashtag #AleHalloween @Delpieroale) and on Facebook (www.facebook.com/alessandrodelpiero).

And this isn't all.
Just a picture in a costume isn't enough, there's one more condition: you have to ...STICK OUT YOUR TONGUE!

Start taking pictures! The funniest picture will be awarded with OneLove new collection watch!

Happy Halloween, Alessandro

Aug 17, 2007
Alessandro Del Piero may have been nowhere to be seen at training yesterday but Sydney FC coach Ian Crook insists his star player will be right to play in Saturday night's derby against Central Coast in Gosford.
Del Piero revealed after last weekend's 2-1 win over Perth Glory that he had been battling tightness in his hamstrings and was on the verge of having to withdraw pre-game.
Instead, the 37-year-old pushed through the pain barrier and ultimately played out the whole 90 minutes and converted the equalising penalty early in the second-half.
Crook repeatedly asked Del Piero if he wanted to come off but was denied, much to the coach's surprise. ''How he got through the game on the weekend, I have no idea,'' Crook said. ''I was stunned, absolutely stunned. That just proves to me what kind of individual he is. Before the game, I wasn't sure he'd last 10-15 minutes, he was very, very tight.
Advertisement
''He was sore in his hamstrings and for him to get through what he did was amazing. Having him on the park is just a huge lift for us.''
Del Piero and his personal trainer Giovanni Buonocore were absent from yesterday's session at Macquarie University but that appears to be part of the plan.
''We then sat down after the game and said, 'Right, OK, how can we best get you through the next week?' He's feeling a lot better this morning,'' Crook said. ''So after hearing that, we said to him, 'Let's just take it nice and easy'. He'll be training again on Thursday and he may well end up doing something with Giovanni tomorrow.''
The club's fitness staff also have no long-term concerns over the $2 million player's fitness for the rest of the season.
''There is no issue like that there,'' Crook said. ''He was just tight before the game against Perth but he arrived on Monday feeling good and we just want to make sure he stays that way.''
Crook said it was important there were realistic expectations about what could be expected from the Azzurri legend. ''Though he is Alessandro Del Piero, he is still 37 years of age and he's now played four 90-minute matches without a pre-season under his belt,'' he said. ''To be honest, I realistically thought he'd have played maybe 45 minutes in the first game, then an hour in the next, a 75-minute effort and then maybe a full 90 minutes. We've just got be careful so we can get him on the park each week.''
By his own admission, Del Piero was well below his usual best and found himself frequently turning the ball over though Crook wasn't sure how long it would take for the Italian to reach peak fitness.
''Giovanni and Alessandro himself are probably the best men to ask about that because they've known his previous levels and where he needs to get to,'' he said.
''But 'Ale' isn't far off. For me, I'd say that's probably two to three weeks away. It might be four weeks, I don't know, but I do think we'll gradually keep seeing him get better and better.''
And while Harry Kewell might have been installed as a $2.75 favourite (on Sportsbet.com.au) to sign with Sydney FC after returning to Australia, Crook said it would be difficult to make room for him.

Aug 17, 2007
Well, it seems like Ale is in doubt for the next match. Croock says that he'll wait till the last moment to give Ale the chance to be fit, and 4h ago Ale wrote on his twitter that he hope for good news in tomorrow's training, after a fan asked if he's OK. Btw, Mariners' stadium name is "Bluetongue", so Ale must be fit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 92)