Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (36 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Well said Jukes

The NSL was a dying league that needed to be put down, no two ways about it. In its final years, the crowds were an absolute joke, no one I Australia cared about it (most didn't even know of its existence) and the quality was getting worse every year. And you think young players never use to leave the NSL to go to Europe Nenna? Please. It's been happening for years and will always happen.

Yes the A-League has its own share of problems, but I think we've definitely seen an improvement year by year in terms of on pitch quality, the production standards on TV and also public interest. There is still a VERY long way to go, but these things take time.

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Well said Jukes

The NSL was a dying league that needed to be put down, no two ways about it. In its final years, the crowds were an absolute joke, no one I Australia cared about it (most didn't even know of its existence) and the quality was getting worse every year. And you think young players never use to leave the NSL to go to Europe Nenna? Please. It's been happening for years and will always happen.

Yes the A-League has its own share of problems, but I think we've definitely seen an improvement year by year in terms of on pitch quality, the production standards on TV and also public interest. There is still a VERY long way to go, but these things take time.
The NSL died because the FFA neglected it and used ethnicity as an excuse. Leagues need support just like the massive cash injections the A-league gets time and time again only to under perform in all the necessary criteria. The NSL never saw anything like this. I'm not saying young players never used to leave the NSL I'm saying the NSL was a breeding ground for young Australian talent and developed some great players for us while contributing to the much better quality of the league. Now the real Australian talent playing Europe is coming straight from the AIS and state league teams. The A-league is full of choco rejects and overpaid has-beens (Robbie Fowler, Heskey, Kewel).

The A-league is destined to fail unfortunately. Its managed by idiots who know nothing about football. I'm a strong advocate of not pulling the race card but its pretty clear that the FFA is intentionally avoiding any ethnic affiliation whatsoever. They made Ben Buckley, an ex-AFL footballer CEO for christ sakes! Any success football has ever had in Australia is thanks to the wogs which reside in this country. They built the football culture here from the ground up and a league which a majority of the 2006 world cup team at some point played in. Now its been snatched away from them only to be replaced by a mismanaged, fake and soulless league.

- - - Updated - - -

You mentioned the millions pumped in for signings like Del Piero. The fact of the matter is he doesn't fall under any Salary cap as he is a Marquee player and so is exempt. He is more than paying back what we paid for his signature. He has generated a lot of interest in the game, he has helped sell tickets to games, he is generating a lot of merchandise sales. Hell he is even getting the Italians and others overseas watching the games :))
He is the best thing that could happened to our league and if you cant see it your Blind Freddy.

Yes we are in danger of not qualifying for the world cup, but the reason for that has nothing to do with the A league. In the last world cup almost every single player was playing overseas in Europe. The fact that we are using old players is the fault of the FFA and the coaches. Straight after the world cup there should have been a clean out and a new generation of players brought in. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and we are paying the price for that failure. This has created a bit of a vacuum and will probably affect the next campaign as well. We shouldn't be afraid of blooding new players when they are in the age group 18-22 but sadly this is what is happening.

This is a reply to Nenna's post above. Not sure why it wont let me quote".
Yes but the league at some point (if it ever wants to improve) is going to have to accumulate players of Del Piero's quality - or at least half of his quality. That means more than one marquee signing every season and the only way the league will be able to have good quality players, playing good quality football is buy spending the big money. Marquee signings are a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem. The salary cap has to go. This is an international game and if our league wants to compete with the others in Asia at least then we have to play by the same rules.

Well yes the '06 world cup squad were mainly playing in the top 4 leagues in europe at the time but where do you think they all came from? This is a question of development. It was a massive advantage for us to have players like Grella, Bresciano and Viduka playing in a good quality league for the beginning of their professional careers. Now our youngsters are shipped out to mainly northern and eastern european leagues where no good players seem to be developing.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Not to nitpick but guys like Kewell, Cahill and Neill never played in the old NSL :D

I agree in that a lot of people involved in the FFA are clueless fucktards, there is no doubt in my mind that something had to give and football needed to start for scratch again in this country. The old model (the NSL) was broken and left for the dead. Not saying that the current model of the A League is perfect (FAR from it Infact) but football had to branch out and become more "mainstream" for the greater good of the game long term.

PS I'm and old school Marconi supporter from the NSL days. And you're right that the quality of the football at times was great. Especially in the mid to late 90s.

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
May 26, 2009
Yeah, everything about him playing in a different jersey is disturbing and sad to see. Hopefully we will see him in the near future as director or etc with the team, but I highly doubt it based on his relation with Andrea Agnelli and lack of communication. Ale's exit was mainly due to Andrea. I respect what Andrea did to the club in recent years, but he tarnished it all with the way he treated Ale. It felt like he was a bit jealous/insecure of Ale's popularity and strong influence in the club.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Juve now in Del Piero’s past
By Football Italia staff

Sydney FC forward Alessandro Del Piero has admitted that Italian giants Juventus are now part of his history.

The veteran left the Turin giants in the summer after his contract wasn’t extended by the Bianconeri hierarchy.

“I follow Serie A very closely and also the Champions League,” he told Sport Mediaset in an interview from Australia.

“Juventus? I think about them a lot and a little.

“A lot because you can’t just forget 19 years and a little because I am now just concentrating on Sydney and this new reality.

“I remain a Bianconeri fan and I can’t see how that would not be the case, but Juventus are now in my past…

“When will I return to the Juventus Stadium? That is a question which I am not asking myself at this time.”

Beeing the professional he is, showing respect to his current team :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)