Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (102 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
What was this guy thinking before wearing a Milan shirt? 'Anything, mom, anything, it just has to be Italian'.
I saw about 20 different teams' shirts at the match. People just think "I'm going to a soccer game. Do I have any soccer jerseys in the house?"

I saw Chelsea, Man City, Real Madrid, Galatasaray...

Football culture isn't strong enough in Australia for anyone to be overly offended by someone wearing the wrong jersey.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I saw about 20 different teams' shirts at the match. People just think "I'm going to a soccer game. Do I have any soccer jerseys in the house?"

I saw Chelsea, Man City, Real Madrid, Galatasaray...

Football culture isn't strong enough in Australia for anyone to be overly offended by someone wearing the wrong jersey.
NSL... though that was more of an ethnic thing.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
First ever Sydney Derby this weekend. Sydney FC VS Western Sydney Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium (which is a western suburb of Sydney) Expected to sell out. Small venue at 21,000 capacity, but the place should be absolutely buzzing. A lot of the Wanderers fans (especially their active supporters) are guys of Italian, Serbian, South American etc descent, so you should get a good atmosphere from them. They are known as the RBB (Red and Black Bloc)

Should be a top game, not a lot of love lost between east and west Sydney, clear cultural divide between the two locations. Will be the best derby in Aus football fo sho.

Hope Ale scores again, but WSW win. I am a westie at heart :)

Rabbit

Secure The Bag
Jun 8, 2010
First ever Sydney Derby this weekend. Sydney FC VS Western Sydney Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium (which is a western suburb of Sydney) Expected to sell out. Small venue at 21,000 capacity, but the place should be absolutely buzzing. A lot of the Wanderers fans (especially their active supporters) are guys of Italian, Serbian, South American etc descent, so you should get a good atmosphere from them. They are known as the RBB (Red and Black Bloc)

Should be a top game, not a lot of love lost between east and west Sydney, clear cultural divide between the two locations. Will be the best derby in Aus football fo sho.

Hope Ale scores again, but WSW win. I am a westie at heart :)
WSW > SFC

Also, my 1000th post. Even though I hate the team Del Piero is playing for, I'll never hate the man. I'm dedicating my 1000th post to him :champ:

and to the whole forum for a great 2 years and 4 months :champ: :D

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Just got home from watching the game + a night out.

What an experience. I can't believe I got to witness Del Piero scoring that goal on his first home appearance. I was seated just behind him, about 5 metres from the fence. Everyone in the stadium was anticipating that he'd score, and I said to my fiancee "watch this go in the top left corner", and he delivered :touched:

Pity about the result and horrible defending from Sydney FC, but it's so great to see our captain in the flesh :D
from that point he scores 9 out of 10.

Jukes

Oct 13, 2012
You Italians,

You dont know how lucky you have it over there. Week in week out you guys get to see some of the best players in the World playing in the Serie A. We have been starved of football and for decent players for years. For the first time I can remember I actually want to go see a match.
I am trying to get tickets for the match so I can see Ale. I am only 10-15 minutes from the Stadium by car and its a perfect opportunity to go and see him play, in the first ever derby. It will be a sell out as the Stadium is quite small. It will only fit 20-25k but it should be a terrific atmosphere.

Just to give you some background the league itself is only about 8 years old and was basically formed because football was going no where in Australia. The old NSL league was built on the back of Italian, Greek, Croatian and other immigrants who came to Australia and started their own clubs. The long term future of the game was at the heart of why the A league came into existence. There was no way to grow the game in the country in the old format because only those people from those backgrounds were supporting those clubs. We needed to aim for a broader audience and to get everyone involved. I can fully understand this as my background is Croatian so I would naturally support the Croatian team in the NSL. But would I ask my Australian friends to come to the game when they have no connection to the club. I would think not and this is where the problems lies. Also there were many political problems with the club structures and ethnic tensions would rise up when say a Croatian team played a Serbian team or a Greek team played a Macedonian team and so on. This had to change and so the A league was formed.
Its short term pain but looking for the longer term gain.

The administrators also understood that we had too many teams in the competition. We just dont have the population base, the supporter base or the players to support more teams in the competition. Eventually I am hoping that this will change and that we can become the No1 sport in this country. You have no idea how many people wish that. More people play football than any other sport in Australia, so football in this country is a little sleeping giant that is slowly waking up. This is where Alessandro comes in. He has generated a lot of enthusiasm for the game. He is an absolute champion in every sense, so is the perfect role model. He has got people talking about football again and has got people wanting to go and see him play.

Was it a mistake for Ale to come to Sydney? I hope it was the best mistake he ever made, but while he is here. He will do so much good for the game here. The people love him and want nothing but the best for him. I personally think it was a mistake for Juve not to offer him a contract, but those are difficult questions to answer. There are many factors involved. But while he is in Sydney we will look after him and cherish every moment he is with us.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
This sky blue color is sexy, but the shirt is ugly. I'll buy it soon anyway.
Where will you get it from?

You Italians,

You dont know how lucky you have it over there. Week in week out you guys get to see some of the best players in the World playing in the Serie A. We have been starved of football and for decent players for years. For the first time I can remember I actually want to go see a match.
I am trying to get tickets for the match so I can see Ale. I am only 10-15 minutes from the Stadium by car and its a perfect opportunity to go and see him play, in the first ever derby. It will be a sell out as the Stadium is quite small. It will only fit 20-25k but it should be a terrific atmosphere.

Just to give you some background the league itself is only about 8 years old and was basically formed because football was going no where in Australia. The old NSL league was built on the back of Italian, Greek, Croatian and other immigrants who came to Australia and started their own clubs. The long term future of the game was at the heart of why the A league came into existence. There was no way to grow the game in the country in the old format because only those people from those backgrounds were supporting those clubs. We needed to aim for a broader audience and to get everyone involved. I can fully understand this as my background is Croatian so I would naturally support the Croatian team in the NSL. But would I ask my Australian friends to come to the game when they have no connection to the club. I would think not and this is where the problems lies. Also there were many political problems with the club structures and ethnic tensions would rise up when say a Croatian team played a Serbian team or a Greek team played a Macedonian team and so on. This had to change and so the A league was formed.
Its short term pain but looking for the longer term gain.

The administrators also understood that we had too many teams in the competition. We just dont have the population base, the supporter base or the players to support more teams in the competition. Eventually I am hoping that this will change and that we can become the No1 sport in this country. You have no idea how many people wish that. More people play football than any other sport in Australia, so football in this country is a little sleeping giant that is slowly waking up. This is where Alessandro comes in. He has generated a lot of enthusiasm for the game. He is an absolute champion in every sense, so is the perfect role model. He has got people talking about football again and has got people wanting to go and see him play.

Was it a mistake for Ale to come to Sydney? I hope it was the best mistake he ever made, but while he is here. He will do so much good for the game here. The people love him and want nothing but the best for him. I personally think it was a mistake for Juve not to offer him a contract, but those are difficult questions to answer. There are many factors involved. But while he is in Sydney we will look after him and cherish every moment he is with us.
Great post, and you Australians are lucky son of b*tches.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
As a season ticket holder I get a 10% discount on all Sydney FC merchandise, so if it would be cheaper for me to buy it locally and mail it to anyone, I'd be happy to do it at no extra expense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 99)