Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (230 Viewers)

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Achilles Del Piero ready for battle

Alessandro ‘Achilles’ Del Piero believes the last two years have made him stronger, so he won’t make demands on Roberto Donadoni.

“So many things have happened over the past couple of years, such as two extraordinary seasons with Juventus and Italy with a new Coach and style of play,” explained Alex, glossing over the Calciopoli scandal.

“These 24 months have strengthened me and now here I am, happier than ever. I still have the wrath of Achilles, he will always be a part of me, but times have changed.”

This was a reference to the 2006 World Cup benchwarming role, when he said he’d “withdraw to the mount and think, like Achilles waiting to enter battle.”

This stance risked ruling him out of Euro 2008 altogether, as he was dropped by Donadoni after refusing to play out of position.

“My role could well be that of Toto Di Natale, but I would not be upset at playing behind Luca Toni or as a second striker.

“Donadoni is prepared and knows what he has to do. The choice is his. All I can do is say I am at his service. We all know I feel that I am a second striker, that is beyond doubt, but it is not a diktat. I just know I am 110 per cent ready, then the Coach will make his decisions.”

Only a late surge of public opinion – and his Capocannoniere title – won Del Piero the opportunity to compete in this tournament.

“I never lost belief in my own abilities. I admit I always believed in this European Championship, so now I am here and want to experience it. I think my career speaks for itself. Besides, it’s the only trophy I haven’t won!”

His Azzurri career has been blighted by constant comparisons with other figures, whether they be Roberto Baggio, Francesco Totti or now Antonio Cassano and Di Natale.

“Maybe it’s because I’m always here. If I weren’t, then there would be no comparison to make,” he grinned. :D

Di Natale is the favourite to start in Monday’s Group C clash with Holland and Alex is pragmatic as ever.

“We are the world champions and it is normal we are expected to win, but it might not happen, as everything has to go our way and be perfect. That’s what we had two years ago, but there are some truly strong sides in the competition.

“We started out with Fabio Cannavaro’s injury and Christian Panucci’s scare, but these setbacks must act as motivation to do even better.”

Panucci has reassured he will be fit to face the Dutch team next week despite a niggling knee problem. Cannavaro’s devastating ankle injury passes the captain’s armband to Gianluigi Buffon, although Del Piero is another candidate.

"I would be ready to take on the responsibility, but along with Buffon there are other players who can adopt this role,” said the man who has worn the armband five times in his 86 caps.

Channel 4

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
Del Piero's theme song for the euros will be Motorhead's "King of Kings"

The Lyrics:

Behold the King.
The King of Kings.

On your knees dog.

All hail.

Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.
Bow down to the,
Bow down to...

The King grinned red as he walked from the place,
Where the traitor lost both his name and his face.
Through the halls and the corridors stinging in blood,
He tasted his grin and it tasted good.

The King took his head.
Left him broken and dead.

Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.
Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.
Bow down to the,
Bow down to...

The King left none living, none able to tell.
The King took their heads and he sent them to hell.
Their screams echoed loud in the place of their death.
Ripped open they died with their final breath.

They hailed to the King,
The King of Kings.

Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.
Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.

Bow down to the,
Bow down to the King.

Into the dirt.
His will be done.
Now feel your fear.
There can be only one.

Bow down.
Bow down.
Bow down to the...

Bow down.
Bow down.
Bow down.
Bow down to the...

Bow down.
Bow down to the...
Bow down to the...
Bow down to the King.

Bow down to the...
Bow down.
Bow down.
Bow down.

The King is here
Now feel your fear.

The King of Kings.

All hail,
All hail the King.

On your knees,
On your knees for the King.

The King of Kings. There is only one

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I was watching Sky Sports news and they announced that Del Piero was starting against Holland but i havent been able to find any more news about that on the internet though.

Daria_Uruguay

Aug 28, 2006

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I was watching Sky Sports news and they announced that Del Piero was starting against Holland but i havent been able to find any more news about that on the internet though.
I think Sky were talking bollocks.

They probably assumed that because he is being considered for captain tht he must be in line to start.

Mafia

Pinturicchio
Jul 21, 2006
I Can't wait untill tomorrow...
Me neither, ive been debating whether or not to go to sleep like right now at like 8: 40, just so 2moro comes faster and i can watch Italy play :p

My brand new never before worn Del Piero Away Italy Jersey is in my cupboard, and i cannot wait to put it on and go and watch the Azzurri rip it up 2moro, Forza Italia!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 221)