Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (28 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Have you guys seen the interview with Del Piero in soccernet.com? His English has improved a lot since the days when he'd be made fun of on Italian TV for not being able to speak any English at all.

How do you feel about this opening match against the Netherlands?

Yeah, I feel good. Everything is good for the moment. Only one problem for us: the injury of Cannavaro. But we are ready tomorrow, we are ready for a great game.

The atmosphere is building, as you can hear. Do you expect a lot of Italian fans, or a sea of Orange?

We are very close to Italy, there's a lot of people outside. Our fans, they are very very... (hesitates) ... hot (laughs)

How difficult is it to come hear two years after winning the World Cup, with the expectation to win again?

The most important thing is that the European cup is completely different to two years ago, it's another story. Especially in our minds, it's important to know this.

Grazie.

Prego. Ciao.

Daria_Uruguay

Aug 28, 2006
yesterday in rai sport I watched an interview with mauro camoranesi where it was impossible to hear ANYTHING because of the fans screaming outside... They are like the rolling stones.... LOL

and hot hahahahaha

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
From FIGC

Euro 2008

Del Piero is confident: “I am ready to realize my dream”
Baden 07/06/2008
In Germany, he had compared himself to Achilles who from the top of the hill looked down below before going into battle. Today, Alessandro Del Piero wants to go down the hill as soon as possible. “Achilles is inside of me, but even in Germany I marched down the hill and I think I did it rather well. This event is different and two years have gone by. Everything is different. Important have happened as far as I am concerned (the two leading scorer titles won, one in the B series and one in the A series), there is another coach, there are other teammates, there is my conviction. Many things have happened but what has not changed is my desire to play well. I am happy because these two years have given me serenity and I am pleased about being called on the team, and I hope everything can lead to doing well in this final phase”.

A prefect season that gave Del Piero a well-deserved spot on the team for these Euro Championships. Now the forward is at the disposal of the Dondadoni and does not want ot hear any talk about roles or modules. “Donadoni has a lot of alternatives for this offense. A lot of good players. The coach has tried me out in a lot of different positions in training. I have always said that I play best as a second forward because that is where I have always played. But in the final phase of a European Championship you have to be available. It is useless to create dualisms because there is no need to”.

Del Piero then joked. “Why am I always put up against someone else on the National team? Maybe it is because I am always here? I repeat, dualisms are useless. Now we have to think about the European Championships because as the World Cup title owners we want to win this competition even if there are gonig to be a lot of very good teams along our way”.

The European Championships have a different flavor for Del Piero. “When you play with the National Team you always have a lot of motivation, but I still have not won this competition, I almost did, so now I want to concentrate on training and on the work to do so that I can do my best when I am on the field. Do I feel that I will be a starter against The Netherlands? As everyone else, I prepare 100% and then it is up to Donadoni to make the decisions, but the group is compact and we all know that with so many matches to play, everyone will have their chance.”

Del Piero admits that he worked a lot to get to the final phase and always believed that he was a part of the group. “I have always believed in this. I worked hard to remove any doubts about my condition, to have no regrets. I have never lost the awareness I have in what I can do, my career is in front of everyone’s eyes. When you play a league season it is easier to get into good condition, now I hope I can repeat what I did this season and that my dream can come true. We are all concentrated to do well and the fact that the team knows that they can play with different modules offers a lot of possibilities to everyone, not only to me”.

A conviction in his means that the entire group also has. “We are World Cup champions and it is normal that we want to win and we will do everything we can to win. Unfortunately, we have had some problems this week, first the injury to Cannavaro, then Panucci, even though his injury is less serious. The weather has never been good, but we are looking ahead with confidence”.

Alessandro Del Piero speaks as a captain. The band that Cannavaro wore will be on his arm he if starts. “Fortunately, I am not the oldest player – jokes the forward. Panucci is older than me, so I am relieved. I am ready to take on the responsibility of this role even though I am sorry that it comes from the injury to Cannavaro, an important absence for us. I have to say, however, that there are a lot of players on this team that can be captain. I like to confront myself with the younger players. I think this can help us grow. I have known the younger players on the national team for some time now and they are great”.

The Juventus captain knows that the way the players get to this competition is different than how they get to the World Cup. “I am here in a different condition, I am here for the continuity shown on the field and for the great things that have happened to me. It is not just a coincidence that my positive period started with the birth of my son, Tobias. My love for him and my wife has been decisive even professionally. My energy has doubled. I miss him, but luckily I will be able to see him shortly. Del Piero wants to win for Tobias, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)