Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (104 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I still think it was a decision that all parties (excluding Alex himself) agreed on and pushed for. Alex was too big a name with a huge fan base, the team had started a new project and even if Alex was certainly not going to object a bench role, fans would still hold it against the coach everytime the team failed to get results. Conte was(is) an inexperienced coach who had been captained by Ale during his playing days, he was obviously too insecure to let Ale stay. I'm sure Alex' departure was not meant to make way for younger top strikers, Alex had to go simply to let the club go ahead without having to put up with the huge pressure Ale's presence could have on the coach and on the team consequently.

A more experienced coach, perhaps someone who wasn't as aware of Alex' heavy name and status among the fans as Conte was would most probably let Alex stay for as long as he wished. These talks of Mourinho vs Raul or similar stories don't apply here as it was Higuain/Benzema/Ronaldo that Raul had to make way for and it's now (in the hindsight) pretty obvious that Juve board knew very well that they could not financially afford buying a top name to replace Del Piero with. It wasn't a matter of quality or age, it wasn't jealousy or father issues, it was the decision the coach and the board unanimously agreed on and I believe they genuinely thought they were making the right decision. It's a shame there was no perfect ending for such beautiful story. Of course it was good and all that Alex left with a trophy and a full stadium in tears but in a perfect world he would have been given the chance to decide when to leave his home, I would have still liked Juve as much as I used to and I would have been watching Juve regularly now that I've got proper internet connection :p

All that being said, I have no doubt that Alex is classy and intelligent enough to understand that as much as it was the improper way to show him the door, there was nothing personal deciding on his exit. Juve will certainly offer him a role after he retires and Alex will come back to where he belongs to.
Whilst how ales departure was announced was tasteless to say the least i dont think he couldve gotten a more beautiful farewell than he did. And i also cannot harbour such resentment for neither agnelli nor conte who whether you like it or not took juve out of a deep shithole .
You can always rely on the ladies to come up with sensible posts. :heart:

No, not you, Preet :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I love how some are more than okay with the way he was pushed away because eventually the farewell couldn't get any more beautiful since he won the Scudetto. It's so beautiful that it's no problem at all forcing him out.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I love how some are more than okay with the way he was pushed away because eventually the farewell couldn't get any more beautiful since he won the Scudetto. It's so beautiful that it's no problem at all forcing him out.
if anything seeing him shoved out the door at our greatest hour was even more heartbreaking.

Preet

Powerpuff G!
Sep 7, 2010
You can always rely on the ladies to come up with sensible posts. :heart:

No, not you, Preet :p
I already replied to hoori's post and exactly same can be said to sally as well.

Ill tel u the same in other words, it is hard for some people to accept that their beloved club did something like this to one of your all time biggest legends. If u accept the truth you would have to be bitter about your current president, and to a very little extent conte too. But its difficult coz they are both here doing great things for juve and del piero is not.

anyways in this situation you come up with all kinds of justifications and a whole story about how exactly eveyone thinks and what exactly went on the the board meeting, you sugar coat it for yourself because you dont want to question your faith. of course all this trouble because they are passionate fans of the club.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Would it have been less beautiful this season considering we have all but wrapped up the Scudetto?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
anyways in this situation you come up with all kinds of justifications and a whole story about how exactly eveyone thinks and what exactly went on the the board meeting, you sugar coat it for yourself because you dont want to question your faith. of course all this trouble because they are passionate fans of the club.
:sheik:

- - - Updated - - -

Would it have been less beautiful this season considering we have all but wrapped up the Scudetto?
It would have been the ideal dream scenario for him this season (If he chose to stop this season)

1- Serie A in pockets already
2- He would have played a major role in Coppa's too and who knows
3- He wanted to be part of this champions league
4- Complete his 20years in the same team

It would have been beautiful indeed had he decided to quit this season and I am sure he would have quit himself this season if he was still here.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I already replied to hoori's post and exactly same can be said to sally as well.

Ill tel u the same in other words, it is hard for some people to accept that their beloved club did something like this to one of your all time biggest legends. If u accept the truth you would have to be bitter about your current president, and to a very little extent conte too. But its difficult coz they are both here doing great things for juve and del piero is not.

I don't know about Sally but I'm not looking for justifications. My stance hasn't changed either. I still think it was the wrong thing to do (even if I believe that Agnelli genuinely thought he made the right decision), I still think Alex should have been given the last say on when and how to leave, I still don't care about how beautiful his farewell game was because it wasn't something the board planned (we could have lost on the Scudetto on the final day and Ale would have still had to leave), I don't like Juve as much as I used to and I have watched more Sydney's live games than Juve's. I also don't know why Buck thinks I share his points of view in that post tbh. However, I think what forced Alex out wasn't a personal issue between him and Agnelli and/or Conte. They made a hasty decision and announced it in an improper way. While I wouldn't share their logic I think what pushed them for it was something drived by their concerns about Juve.

- - - Updated - - -

Good question. And considering the woeful set of players we have in attack, I doubt Alex would have contributed less to this year's achievements. The least they could do was to let him have a final CL season, shame.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I don't know about Sally but I'm not looking for justifications. My stance hasn't changed either. I still think it was the wrong thing to do (even if I believe that Agnelli genuinely thought he made the right decision), I still think Alex should have been given the last say on when and how to leave, I still don't care about how beautiful his farewell game was because it wasn't something the board planned (we could have lost on the Scudetto on the final day and Ale would have still had to leave), I don't like Juve as much as I used to and I have watched more Sydney's live games than Juve's. I also don't know why Buck thinks I share his points of view in that post tbh. However, I think what forced Alex out wasn't a personal issue between him and Agnelli and/or Conte. They made a hasty decision and announced it in an improper way. While I wouldn't share their logic I think what pushed them for it was something drived by their concerns about Juve.
So, how different exactly is my view from yours?

My latest posts in this thread before today:

Well, I'm pretty sure Conte had no use for Del Piero anymore. And realising that, if he's at the club, you can't keep him on the bench all the time (especially not when results aren going your way) it was best for all parties involved to part ways.

The supposed rift between Agnelli & DP is based on nothing, if you ask me. But the media obviously did their best to make the most out of it. Something they still try now from time to time, but it's not really sticking anymore with most fans. Would have been a different situation if we'd been in 5th position & out of CL by the winter break.
Depends on one's interpretation, I guess. What I understand from everything that was said, is that Ale didn't really want to leave, but that the club wanted to move on without him. For me, that doesn't necessarily mean it was one person's fault, be that Agnelli, Conte, Marotta or whoever.
And in reply to Rab saying Ale himself should have decided when to leave:

This I agree with, of course.

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
Dec 23, 2012
I don't thing conte wanted del piero to leave, I think angelli pushed conte into becoming less reliant on del as he knew it was his last year, notice when ever we were introuble conte would sub del on, he knew he still had it.

just my thoughts, don't hate

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003

You kind of contradict yourself, you agree with me that the last say should've been Del Piero's yet you think it's okay he left (or was asked to leave) because the farewell couldn't get anymore beautiful. Am I wrong? :smile:

Preet

Powerpuff G!
Sep 7, 2010
@hoori

so you think agnelli and co thought getting rid of ale would actually help juve? its not like they made this decision after 2 seasons finishing 7th. juve played and went unbeaten playing a whole season 'under del piero's shadow' who was most of the time playing 'under boriello's shadow'. this season happened under the same management who thought getting rid of ale would help juve open a new cycle, forgetting the fact that the new cycle had started with del piero being a big part of it.
how was he holding juve back? by not complaining about being benched by boriello? scoring vital goals? wanting to sign a blank contract?

tell me, just how do you think agnelli and co came up with belief that letting ale go would benifit juve? coz if you believe that then pretty sure your belief is based on some reason that you must have.

del piero-boriello-bendtner-anelka(wealth of experience?). agnelli, the man with the plan.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

Well I certainly don't agree that "it was best for all parties involved to part ways." meaning unlike you I don't approve of the decision made by the board because I don't think Ale's presence would have harmed the team (as I believe it was the main reason why they decided to ask him out). I also don't think it was the best time for Ale to leave, with a Scudetto and in the end of an amazing season (referring to your last year's posts) because I think it was himself who had to decide when the "best time" was. But yes I agree that talks of a rift between Alex and Agnelli are groundless and, imo, there's no truth to it.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
@hoori

so you think agnelli and co thought getting rid of ale would actually help juve? its not like they made this decision after 2 seasons finishing 7th. juve played and went unbeaten playing a whole season 'under del piero's shadow' who was most of the time playing 'under boriello's shadow'. this season happened under the same management who thought getting rid of ale would help juve open a new cycle, forgetting the fact that the new cycle had started with del piero being a big part of it.
how was he holding juve back? by not complaining about being benched by boriello? scoring vital goals? wanting to sign a blank contract?

tell me, just how do you think agnelli and co came up with belief that letting ale go would benifit juve? coz if you believe that then pretty sure your belief is based on some reason that you must have..
She's saying how Agnelli and Conte saw it. That's not what she personally thinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I certainly don't agree that "it was best for all parties involved to part ways." meaning unlike you I don't approve of the decision made by the board because I don't think Ale's presence would have harmed the team (as I believe it was the main reason why they decided to ask him out). I also don't think it was the best time for Ale to leave, with a Scudetto and in the end of an amazing season (referring to your last year's posts) because I think it was himself who had to decide when the "best time" was. But yes I agree that talks of a rift between Alex and Agnelli are groundless and, imo, there's no truth to it.
If he doesn't come back to the club in 5years time you'll have to change your mind then and agree with me.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
You kind of contradict yourself, you agree with me that the last say should've been Del Piero's yet you think it's okay he left (or was asked to leave) because the farewell couldn't get anymore beautiful. Am I wrong? :smile:
In an ideal world, Ale himself would have decided when to leave. But that doesn't mean I can't see & understand why the club (emphasis on "the club", not one person) felt it was time for him to leave. And some of those reasons were in Hoori's post, some I have mentioned earlier, etc.
So no, I don't hate Agnelli or the club or whoever because this happened. I disliked what happened with Trez a lot more tbh. At least they were clear with Ale, even if it was a decision neither Ale nor the fans were willing to accept.

I do still think his farewell game could not have been any better. But our last game being at home, right after winning the scudetto again for the first time, etc was obviously not something they (could have) planned. Brilliant circumstances, that's all.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I know, i want to know why hoori thinks they saw it like that
Actually the way she sees it isn't that much of a difference from how we/I see it. She believes they all gave their okay cards to split roads with Ale as they believe it's for everyone's best, while I think Agnelli wanted this at first place and Conte did not object.

- - - Updated - - -

In an ideal world, Ale himself would have decided when to leave. But that doesn't mean I can't see & understand why the club (emphasis on "the club", not one person) felt it was time for him to leave. And some of those reasons were in Hoori's post, some I have mentioned earlier, etc.
There's no real reason, you might give a reason or two just not to put yourself in the circle of those pointing fingers at Agnelli. But there's absolutely no real reason for the manag to ask him to leave the club.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
@hoori

tell me, just how do you think agnelli and co came up with belief that letting ale go would benifit juve? coz if you believe that then pretty sure your belief is based on some reason that you must have.

del piero-boriello-bendtner-anelka(wealth of experience?). agnelli, the man with the plan.
As Buck said, Conte didn't have Alex in his plans (he's the coach after all, there's no objection here). As someone who's been at Juve for years, Conte knew it was hard to keep Alex on the bench all the time, not because the player would complain, but because the fans would hold it against the coach when the team failed to get results. He might have thought that Ale's presence would also put a huge pressure on other attackers every time they failed to deliver. All in all, I think he believed that Ale's presence wouldn't help the team on the pitch as much as it could potentially cause problems in the stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 96)