Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (30 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Basically 3, but it's up to the AFC. They can decide in November that they want Sydney to play in the CL because of Ale. But if they don't, Ale will have to renew his contract if he wants to play in the AFC CL. The 2012 QF starts this month with the Australian teams that finished 1-3 in 2011 (!). Why? cause the CL in Asia starts 11 months after the A-league season ends. So in the next season of the AFC CL, 3 teams from Australia that finished 1-3 last season (Sydney isn't among them) will take part. If the AFC won't decide to include Syndey, Ale will have to lead his new team to places 1-3 in the upcoming season and then they'll play in the AFC CL season that will start in February 2014. Ale signed for 2 season, which means his contract will expire in March\April 2014.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Basically 3, but it's up to the AFC. They can decide in November that they want Sydney to play in the CL because of Ale. But if they don't, Ale will have to renew his contract if he wants to play in the AFC CL. The 2012 QF starts this month with the Australian teams that finished 1-3 in 2011 (!). Why? cause the CL in Asia starts 11 months after the A-league season ends. So in the next season of the AFC CL, 3 teams from Australia that finished 1-3 last season (Sydney isn't among them) will take part. If the AFC won't decide to include Syndey, Ale will have to lead his new team to places 1-3 in the upcoming season and then they'll play in the AFC CL season that will start in February 2014. Ale signed for 2 season, which means his contract will expire in March\April 2014.
Arggh, that sucks. It doesn't make sense though to include Sydney because of Ale but with AFC, you never know. If they played in the CL, they might come to Iran to play my hometown team :touched:

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Alessandro Del Piero triggers Sydney ticket record

WITHIN hours of Alessandro Del Piero agreeing to terms, Sydney FC had more than recouped a sizeable down payment on the $2 million two-year outlay on the Italian superstar by gaining 800 new members and selling a number of corporate suites at Allianz Stadium.

"It was a one-day sales record for Sydney FC," team spokesman David Mason said. "The phones started running hot well before 9am and we had to call in four additional temporary staff just to handle the extra load. The staff were absolutely run off their feet at the end of the first day and the new season doesn't kick-off for another month."

The most popular package bought by fans yesterday was a $485 deal for 13 home games for adults and $95 for children under the age of 15.

"But we also received a lot of inquiries for packages ranging in price from $1095 to The Legend's Club ($1625) to a private suite, which goes for $43,000 and change," Mason said.

The demand on season packages prompted Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow to declare the signing of Del Piero as "a huge moment for the club and we think a historic moment for football in Australia".

"It was a bold move by the board and the CEO (Tony Pignata) to chase Alessandro, but one that we at the club believed to be the right one," Barlow said.

"It was only seven or eight days ago we first put our offer to Alessandro's people back in Italy, and although we believed it to be a long shot, given the amount of interest from other Serie A clubs and other leagues, we felt we'd give it our best shot.

"We think the benefits will be worth the investment and we thought through all of that before we made him the offer that we did."

When pressed for details about the reported $2m deal, Barlow said: "It's in the ballpark and as you now know, the planets have aligned."

Del Piero, who signed for the next two years without an option for a third, and his family are expected to arrive in Sydney at the end of next week to begin training under new coach Ian Crook.

"We need to give him some licence, but I won't be playing him at fullback," Crook joked. "Obviously we'll talk when he comes in, in terms of our shape and structure. There's never a headache when it's something like this, because it's just great to have him here."

While Del Piero is 37, Crook believes the former Juventus and Italy World Cup winner, is still a world class player.

If all goes to plan, Crook hopes to have Del Piero play in the club's two remaining pre-season games - against A-League champion Brisbane Roar in Mackay on September 16 and Newcastle Jets at Buff Point, Budgewoi, on the NSW Central Coast six days later. Speaking to Fox Sports from Turin yesterday, Del Piero said: "It was not an easy decision. I first considered all the opportunities I had been offered in recent months carefully.

"But in the end the most convincing choice was Sydney, in Australia, and today I can only say I cannot wait to start. The project that was presented to me, I was really drawn to it," he said.

"I was fascinated not only from a sporting point of view, but also from a personal point of view.

"I'm coming to Australia not only as a player to give 100 per cent, but to give the best for my team. I'm a football player, and I want to emphasise that.

" I know I will be a part of a football movement that wants to grow and succeed."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...466814829?sv=e924fe3d34fdaaa7cbb494f1c79cf0f0

Aug 17, 2007
Two thousand extra memberships, a 50 per cent increase in social media followers, inquiries from Italian honeymooners and a shift to ANZ Stadium - behold the Del Piero effect.

Sydney FC's recruitment of Italian great Alessandro Del Piero was bound to lift the club's profile and the A-League -- but the level of interest has overwhelmed even the most generous of estimates.

Since signing the veteran striker last week, Sydney FC have posted a new weekly record for membership and social media sign-ups.

They have also received accreditation requests from Italian media eager to cover Del Piero's arrival into the A-League, an email from a Melbourne fan who intends to relocate to Sydney to follow ADP's career and a call from an Italian couple asking permission to attend a Del Piero training session while on their honeymoon.

Such interest played a factor in Sydney FC's decision to shift their round four clash with Perth Glory to the large confines of ANZ Stadium while Allianz's turf is being re-layed. FC have in the past played the corresponding fixture at Parramatta and WIN Jubilee Stadiums but, due to the hype around Del Piero's signing, are confident of a big turn out at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, October 28.

"This match is a great opportunity for those who live in Sydney's west to watch Alessandro Del Piero, Brett Emerton and the rest of the Sydney FC team at ANZ Stadium," Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata said. "We have had tremendous interest from a lot of venues from all over the greater Sydney area and we are happy to play at ANZ Stadium."

FOX SPORTS AUSTRALIA

Aug 17, 2007
Yes, vs. Newcastle Jets in pre-season. They already moved the match to a bigger stadium. Talking about bigger stadium, Sydney moved their 2nd home match of the season to the former Olympic stadium, 83,500 seats.

The GM of the Syndey Wanderers said to FourFourTwo that he wouldn't sign Del Piero cause he doesn't fit the club's project. :lol: I hope Ale will score 10 against them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)