Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (97 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Sydney's coach in an article:

I'VE been fortunate enough to work with some great players during my time.

Dwight Yorke springs to mind. Glenn Hoddle. Kazuyoshi Miura. Robbie Slater. Nicola Berti.

But the arrival of Alessandro Del Piero is the pinnacle.Like the rest of Australia, I can not wait to welcome Alessandro to Sydney.

One of the first things I will do as coach is sit down with him and explain our philosophies. Basically where we're going as a team and how we intend to get there.

Then I will ask him what's best for him, and how we can get the best out of him.

I'm not about to reinvent the wheel.

Alessandro has enjoyed tremendous success playing in the front third his entire career, and that's exactly where he will play for us.

Plus, fans don't want to pay money and watch Alessandro make a sliding tackle on the edge of the box.

They want to see him in full flight, in attack and hopefully slamming the ball into the top corner.

A lot of people have asked me in the past 24 hours since he's signed if I'm intimidated at all.

Am I worried about calling the shots with such a huge name at the club?

The short answer is "no".

Top players are successful for a good reason. They know exactly what to do on the pitch, and give 100 per cent with everything they do.

I expect the boys to lift when Alessandro gets here for training. I'll also ask Alessandro for his thoughts throughout the season. I'd be foolish not to. As a coach, I'm always learning and trying to get to different ideas for training sessions.

What will happen if Alessandro has a bad game?

Will I have the courage to tell him how it is?

The short answer is "yes".

And I think Alessandro will respect me if I'm honest with him, as I am with all players.

I'm not usually one to lose my cool. I wouldn't stand on the sideline, flapping my arms and screaming abuse. I only blow up from time to time.

I erupted at half-time during a Sydney FC youth game last year, only to kick a bin in disgust, then realise it was full of ice and Gatorade bottles.

I'm not foolish to think Alessandro will win Sydney FC the premiership on his own. He will only be able to play his best if the 10 other players on the park do likewise. I need a player like Fabio to play well at left back and get the ball to him. There needs to be that link.

The reason Central Coast Mariners enjoyed such a good season last year was they played as a team.

Even Sydney FC, when Dwight Yorke was here in the first season, we all pulled together and performed as one. We win, lose and draw as one.

As for the captaincy debate, Terry McFlynn will remain with the armband.

Brett Emerton will continue as his deputy. We have structures in place, and even though Alessandro is the real drawcard, making him skipper never entered my mind.

But what fun it will be to have him in town.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 17, 2007
Tacchi:"I talked with Ale yesterday and wished him good luck. I respect his decision even if I'm not entirely agree with it, because he's still able to play at the high levels, in a big European club".

I can hope for 2 things now:

1. That more famous/famous enough will sign in Australia and make the league more interesting (Not gonna happen, Australian teams don't have money. Pignata said yesterday that they better return those 2m Ale gets per season by selling season tickets and shirts, otherwise...FFS, It's not like they paid 100M for Ronaldo. Maccabi Tel Aviv could get 2m in 2 days if they signed Del Piero).

2. That Syndey will reach the AFC CL and play Lippi's team, Drogba's, maybe other teams of famous players that I don't remember.

Btw, Australian mates, you know this site? http://www.aleague.livesport.tv/home Is it reliable, or there's better way for me to make sure I'll watch all the matches? (I don't wanna look for streams 5-10 mintues before kick-off). I need info from you.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
He has so much class..The part where he said at the end of the interview "he hopes to have better English: just made me smile,and confirms even more what a man this Legend is!

Forza Ale! I hope I will be able to see him live soon!

Aug 17, 2007

omar's deviantart version.
Great, thanks!

Lou Sticca, agent that was part of the negotiations, says that he tried to bring Ale to Sydney since late May, but Stefano rejected the idea for months before starting to talk about it seriously, 10 days ago. It's a bit sad, cause it's says that after all, Syndey is a compromise for Ale. I believe what he really wanted was the MLS or big club that plays in the CL, and he didn't get those kind of offers.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Och I'm getting so jealous of Sydney FC and its fans. I miss Alex so much :cry:

At least 6am isn't too bad for me to get up and watch him tear the Australian league to shreds

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
If everyone could just take a moment to berate this muppet for this retarded attempt at humour that would be just great.

Came across it when searching for Del Piero/Sydney related media on YouTube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 84)