Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (65 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Oh, do you pay for the extra package with Foxtel? I'd love to be able to afford the package with ESPN and RAI too, but on top of the Foxtel base package, that'd cost too much for me :(

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Hi, I was watching the ESPN pgae in spanish and I found this article, the writer its Randall Alvarez, he is in charge of following Serie A and he also comments Serie A games that ESPN broadcast in Latin America.

The artcle was on spanish, so I tok the liberty to trasnlated so you guys could read it...

Anyway here it is, I hope you enjoy it:

" All the big teams in the world, the ones been call to be the best, all of them have an emblematic player, a symbolic player, one player that has been always with the club, or at least a long time with the club, a player that represents all the love and passion for the club colours and has earn the love and respect of the fans. Alex Del Piero has been, in the last decade, that player for Juventus, however, this season the captain has suffer a bad period in his level that has put himself in a very difficult position.

¿ Will this means the end of the affair between Del Piero and La Vecchia Signora?

This is what many (including his exteammate Vialli) believe, saying that in general its very difficult for a player in his 30’s to face this kind of situation.

In my personal opinion, this is not the case.

Its true that “Pinturicchio” has not be the same that he was, but like any other emblematic player, it has his downs and his lows ( to some players the down times las longer than to others)

Del Piero represents a lot to Juventus and honestly, I don’t see him wearing another club’s jersey, and even if he is not a product of Juventus young system (he came from Padova when he was 18 years old in 1993), he has always carry the bianconero team in his guts.

I will always remember the impact that Alex’s apparition cause in the bianconero’s map, and impact that ironically will begin the ending of the Baggio’s days in Turin.

Juventus found the perfect player to pass the legacy…

After he won the Viareggio tounament with Juventus primavera team, Alex shine in his first season and help Juventus to conquer the Scudetto ending an 8 years drought.

After that, came the memorable victory in the 96’s Champions League where he shine behind Gianluca Vialli and Fabrizzio Ravanelli to consoled himself like the future star in Juventus.

However, the ghost of injuries and maybe a little of bad luck with in also, follow Del Piero since he was very young. His mother tells that since he was a child he was sick with frequency, and now has a soccer player we have follow his injuries and we can state that he has been propense to injuries and sickness ( The same thing happened with his bother Stefano, who had to retire form soccer for this reason). The most impact episode of a injury, was on 1998, this because of the extension of the injury, because he suffer it after hi lost the Cmapions Legue final and because of the fact that it occour the day before his 24 th birthday.

This happened on the physiological field, but ¿what about the emotional field?

Since his arrival in Juventus, Del Piero has have in his shoulders a lot of pressure and responsibility has a figure and symbol of the team and the azzurri. To many, he has been in debt, giving his potential, and he has been accuse of been “only a name” and not show up when he is need it.

I’m nobody to judge his mental strength in those cases when he was needed it, although I do can say that maybe the circumstances were not on his favour.

Its true that apart of losing 3 Championship finals, between Eucups and World Cups, Alex has only play 17 games and has scored only 2 goals, but we have to remember also that in the 1994 World Cup he had to “compete” with the legendary Baggio and in the 2002 Euro and in the 2002 Wold Cup his rival was Totti. At the end, although many said that his contribution was almost null in those tournaments, we have to remember that the deception and the failure was a collective thing.

In this season Fabio Capello`s arrival has not help much to Alex’s cause, coz after so many years of been used to Lippi’s treatments, now he finds himself with totally different ideas and with a coach that has always saw him from “ the other side of the pool”, a coach that doesn’t hesitated to leave him on the bench. By the way, the fact that Alex start form the first minute in Sampdoria’s game it was not a award because of the goal score against Atalanta, and it was not that Capello gave in before the pressure of the public and the press, Alex’s titularity was only because Capello wanted to give Zlatan a rest and Del Piero toke advantage of and play more than a decent full match. Now, this performance will not guarantee that the bianconero’s captain its going to start the next game, only Capello knows about this…

There are many speculations about why Alex’s form has go down, speculations that goes from accusations that this is the result of him using steroids a few years ago, to speculations that his emotional state hasn’t been the same since his father die in 2001.

I’m sure that Del Piero will go back to form and I have to say that I applaud Capello’s decisions of leaving him on the bench, coz sometimes this is good for star players.

In times like this, its very important to value his contributions trough the years, in the good ones and the bad ones. Thats why, Im confident that Juventus will not think of getting rid of his symbol (even in the bench he is still a symbol for the club) because we are talking of one of the most talented players of the last decade, a “fantasista”, a master of the stop ball, that you don’t see every day and that above all, carries La Vecchia Signora’s colours in his heart. "

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Oh, do you pay for the extra package with Foxtel? I'd love to be able to afford the package with ESPN and RAI too, but on top of the Foxtel base package, that'd cost too much for me :(
yeh its a shit load of money, but i guess its worth it. we gave up the movie channels and stuff like that hahaha. Oh and i forgot, remember that old italian soccer show on sbs about 10-11 years ago? peter brackly, martin tyler and gary bloom hosted it. that was my favourite!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Azzurri axe for Alex Friday 4 February, 2005

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero’s recent relegation to the Juventus bench is set to cost him his international place.

The No 10 has started just one of his club’s last four League games and he’s expected to be left out of the Azzurri squad for next week’s friendly against Russia.

Reports suggest that boss Marcello Lippi will pick five attackers for the Cagliari test on February 9.

They are set to be Parma’s Alberto Gilardino, Christian Vieri of Inter, plus the Roma trio of Antonio Cassano, Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella.

Should the 30-year-old be excluded, he would become a major doubt for the March 26 World Cup qualifier against Scotland.

Especially after Lippi recently admitted that the majority of the squad selected to face Russia would be recalled next month.

The tactician, who will name his squad on Sunday, will also use next week’s game to further assess his goalkeeping options for the future.

Juventus ace Gigi Buffon is the undisputed first choice, but the No 2 position is up for grabs.

Ivan Pelizzoli of Roma was widely regarded as the best of the rest but he has been dropped by the Giallorossi in recent weeks.

Flavio Roma of Monaco is expected to be called up, even if Udinese’s Morgan De Sanctis is another possibility.

Inter midfielder Cristiano Zanetti may also be rewarded with a return to the set-up for the first time since Euro 2004.

source: channel4.com

Fresh from the oven

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
i found this somewhere and really like it

Is that even a question? I know that Del Piero has been played extremely under par these games but ask yourself, does Alex get banned for 8 months for doing cocaine or does he get banned for many games a season because of his temper? No. Also, one must ask himself, what have Mutu or Cassano done in the past to even compare to Del Piero? Nothing. Del Piero has won a myriad of trophies with Juventus and is fundamental in their game. He has these unique touches and his vision is just fabulous; things that Mutu and Cassano lack. Del Piero is a work of art. He is the reason why I became a Juve fan. Remember the saying “a knight never leaves his lady”? Yes, this was referring to when Del Piero chose to remain at Juve and resigned his contract to the “Old Lady” just last year. This took a great deal of respect from Del Piero, respect to remain at his club, where his heart is at…Where is the clubs respect for their Knight? Del Piero is at the heart and soul of every Juve fan. And if Juve sold him, they would be breaking the hearts of every Juve fan. I know Del Piero has it in him. He’s been killed by injuries over recent seasons and yet he still remains one of Italy’s best players. Personally I love Del Piero, he is a true champion and like what they say in Greece, “Never underestimate a Champion’s Heart”…Sincerely hoping for his success.
Omar AL-Ansari (Kuwait)

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
and this one

I am a huge Juventus and Italian supporter. What I have noticed in my day is that there are two Del Piero fans. Firstly, the die hard fans who seem to disregard his consistently bad performances (i.e. falling on the pitch after dribbling the ball too much, and forced off the ball numerous times a match by larger defenders - which is every defender in the world). These die hard fans only seem to remember his useless back heel passes and one touch passes which usually end for not.

The other fans know that he is not great but continually stick with him for loyalty reasons - because he has scored some goals in his day, and he has been with the team for so long.

Countless times, I have been watching Juventus games hoping that this game he will do well, and don’t get me wrong some games he plays decent, couple of passes, forcing the goalkeeper with a fine save from a free kick etc. But, I mean but, he consistently underperforms!!! Am I the only one who sees this, lets just see World cup 98, 02, and euro 04. Let’s not forget Euro 00 - and anyone who is a Del Piero fan, and says he is a great player tell me how he misses those two chances!!! GIVE ME A BREAK.

Being a huge Juventus fan, I am glad they actually are able to bring such a cohesive unit to work around his lame skills, and if it wasn’t for players such as Zidane, Nedved, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Camoranesi, who are actually talented and create plays then Del Piero would actually score less goals than he already does!

Disappointment over and over. Juventus is a business and they should ask about Del Pieros current return on investment, forget the 98 season. What have you done for me lately, we are still waiting and it has been 6 years! Loyalty is crap, score goals or leave. I’m sick of hearing that he is not fully fit - does Del Piero only have this disease, when other players aren’t 100% they don’t use that excuse - only Juventus and Del Piero constantly use this fitness plea - I’M SICK OF IT.

Juventus is so great they play a man down for the entire 90 minutes and are still able to be competitive, yes a man down, for that’s what Del Piero is - useless. I don’t know what affection Juve fans have with this player - he doesn’t score! OK he is a gentleman, that’s fine, but what can be said for Zalayeta - who in my opinion is far greater than Del Piero, because he scores - which if I remember is what a striker is supposed to do.

Let’s hope Capello does the right thing when Trezeguet comes back and he partners him up with Ibrahimovic - Forza Juve and Italia!

For the people responding - please think about the numerous disappointing games before you think of the few great games he has played. I just expect much more from a superstar, as which everyone describes him as!
Antonio Rotundo

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dr-Juve ] ++

Is that even a question? I know that Del Piero has been played extremely under par these games but ask yourself, does Alex get banned for 8 months for doing cocaine or does he get banned for many games a season because of his temper?
No, he doesnt, but to be perfectly honest I'd be happier if he did. He shows almost no effort, no passion on the pitch, I'd like it more if he were a fighet like Nedved, even if he were to get a few more yellow cards.

No. Also, one must ask himself, what have Mutu or Cassano done in the past to even compare to Del Piero? Nothing. Del Piero has won a myriad of trophies with Juventus and is fundamental in their game.
There are two misstakes in this passage. First of all, Del Piero has done lot for the cluub, I agree, but fact is that that is in the past and that he's done nothing recently. Sure, he was one of the main players when we won the CL in 1996, and he was decent, but nowhere near world class, when we won the scudetto in 2002, but that is not enough. You dont live in the past, and we cant afford to any more. We have to think about the future, not the past. I thank him for all he's done, but those times are over.

He has these unique touches and his vision is just fabulous; things that Mutu and Cassano lack. Del Piero is a work of art. He is the reason why I became a Juve fan. Remember the saying “a knight never leaves his lady”? Yes, this was referring to when Del Piero chose to remain at Juve and resigned his contract to the “Old Lady” just last year. This took a great deal of respect from Del Piero, respect to remain at his club, where his heart is at…
Great deal of respect is needed to sign a contract which makes you one of the top 3 most paid footballers in Italy, as well as gets you the rights to your image. Geez. And those unique touches he does? Yeah, you're right, he does do that. If we're lucky we might see one or two of those in the in the next two seasons.

Where is the clubs respect for their Knight? Del Piero is at the heart and soul of every Juve fan. And if Juve sold him, they would be breaking the hearts of every Juve fan. I know Del Piero has it in him. He’s been killed by injuries over recent seasons and yet he still remains one of Italy’s best players. Personally I love Del Piero, he is a true champion and like what they say in Greece, “Never underestimate a Champion’s Heart”…Sincerely hoping for his success.
Omar AL-Ansari (Kuwait)

This part is simply ridiculous. There have been players better than Del Piero than Juventus, legends before him that left the club, but life went on. Not all Juve fans would be heart broken if he were to leave the club, including me. Life moves on, with Del Piero or without him.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Countless times, I have been watching Juventus games hoping that this game he will do well, and don’t get me wrong some games he plays decent, couple of passes, forcing the goalkeeper with a fine save from a free kick etc. But, I mean but, he consistently underperforms!!! Am I the only one who sees this, lets just see World cup 98, 02, and euro 04. Let’s not forget Euro 00 - and anyone who is a Del Piero fan, and says he is a great player tell me how he misses those two chances!!! GIVE ME A BREAK.
That's very unfair towards Del Piero. The reason why Del Piero was bashed for missing those two chances is because he's Del Piero and Del Piero is expected to score those chances. Anyone could miss those, but because it happens to be Del Piero we all shoot him. And don't start a discussion here, I'm not saying he shouldn't have scored.

And World Cup 2002? What did he do wrong there? He played great against Mexico, was playing great against Corea and when Trapattoni took him off, Italy lost their control over the game.

World Cup 98 he did underperfom a lot, I admit. But he had had an extremely good season and players that can play a great tournament afterwards are rare. In 2004 he played a great game against Sweden, which Italy tied because Del Piero and Cassano were taken off. But I admit he didn't exactly shine in Portugal.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Being a huge Juventus fan, I am glad they actually are able to bring such a cohesive unit to work around his lame skills, and if it wasn’t for players such as Zidane, Nedved, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Camoranesi, who are actually talented and create plays then Del Piero would actually score less goals than he already does!
Perhaps someone needs to be reminded that in 1998 Del Piero was regarded as the better player when compared to Zidane. And just how many goals has Trezeguet scored thanks to Del Piero? Let alone that it's Nedved's freakin' job to let Del Piero score.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
:LOL: Oh now Nedved is the bad guy. You are an imbecile.
Andy, there has to be something wrong with your eyes. I didn't say Nedved was the bad guy, I only said you can't blame Del Piero for scoring on Nedved's assists, like the other guy did. As an attacking midfielder it's Nedved's job to let people like Del Piero score. Stop putting words in my mouth.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Azzurri: Lippi drops Del Piero Sunday 6 February, 2005

Marcello Lippi has dropped Alex Del Piero for the friendly against Russia, giving Morgan De Sanctis his first call.

The Italy boss was widely expected to leave out the Juventus star after he spent most of the last month of club football on the bench, so this decision also puts his position for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Scotland in serious doubt.

Lippi has given a first time call to Udinese goalkeeper Morgan De Sanctis following some impressive form.

Antonio Cassano and Christian Vieri return from injury to have their first official meeting with Lippi since he took charge in the summer.

The fact that all three Roma stars are in the squad together suggests Lippi will test out the same trio upfront in the Azzurri jersey.

Italy will take on Russia in an international friendly at Cagliari’s Stadio Sant’Elia on Wednesday evening.

Italy squad:

Gk: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Udinese);

D: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Parma), F Cannavaro (Juventus), Chiellini (Fiorentina), Nesta (Milan), Materazzi (Inter), Zaccardo (Palermo), Pancaro (Milan);

M: Barone (Palermo), Blasi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Diana (Sampdoria), Esposito (Cagliari), Gattuso (Milan), Pirlo (Milan);

F: Cassano (Roma), Gilardino (Parma), Montella (Roma), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter)

Huh no Zambrotta as well?

Dec 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
Azzurri: Lippi drops Del Piero Sunday 6 February, 2005

Marcello Lippi has dropped Alex Del Piero for the friendly against Russia, giving Morgan De Sanctis his first call.

The Italy boss was widely expected to leave out the Juventus star after he spent most of the last month of club football on the bench, so this decision also puts his position for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Scotland in serious doubt.

Lippi has given a first time call to Udinese goalkeeper Morgan De Sanctis following some impressive form.

Antonio Cassano and Christian Vieri return from injury to have their first official meeting with Lippi since he took charge in the summer.

The fact that all three Roma stars are in the squad together suggests Lippi will test out the same trio upfront in the Azzurri jersey.

Italy will take on Russia in an international friendly at Cagliari’s Stadio Sant’Elia on Wednesday evening.

Italy squad:

Gk: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Udinese);

D: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Parma), F Cannavaro (Juventus), Chiellini (Fiorentina), Nesta (Milan), Materazzi (Inter), Zaccardo (Palermo), Pancaro (Milan);

M: Barone (Palermo), Blasi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Diana (Sampdoria), Esposito (Cagliari), Gattuso (Milan), Pirlo (Milan);

F: Cassano (Roma), Gilardino (Parma), Montella (Roma), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter)

Huh no Zambrotta as well?
Not surprising really..... it was obvious Lippi will axe him..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 60)